ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smaller steering wheel with airbag?

Clio 182 FF
Bit of a random one but just more out of curiosity, are there any smaller wheels (300mm - 320mm) that have an airbag that would fit to a 182? I appreciate its a vague question but I'm just wondering as I want to get a smaller wheel and if I can get one with an airbag as opposed to a non airbag one then that'd make MOT's nothing to worry about. I personally couldn't care less about an air bag and have always had aftermarket wheels but knowing that they've changed the view on removing an airbag to be an MOT fail (depending on the tester) it'd make life easier if there was an option of having a smaller wheel with one.
Anything OEM on other models that are a direct fit or even other manufacturers? Or aftermarket but with bags?
Cheers!

You could get a 197 ? they look great. I've no idea how hard they are to fit etc though, but I have seen it done.

Clio 182 FF
197 wheels arent as small as he wants though?

Absolutely, unfortunately (I don't know the exact size) they're not small enough.
Thank you for the input though guys, it is appreciated.

Like I say I'm honestly not bothered about fitting a non bagged one, it's just that if it's possible with a good wheel that's small enough then it could be a fit and forget job, rather than a fit and change for each MOT if the guys not friendly job.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely, unfortunately (I don't know the exact size) they're not small enough.
Thank you for the input though guys, it is appreciated.

Like I say I'm honestly not bothered about fitting a non bagged one, it's just that if it's possible with a good wheel that's small enough then it could be a fit and forget job, rather than a fit and change for each MOT if the guys not friendly job.

Fit a small non airbag wheel then? My 172 passes MOT fine with a Sabelt 330mm wheel.

If you want an airbag wheel thats small look on ebay for a lotus one , small and all the later cars have airbags , you can pick one up for 80 to 100 quid if you can find one when you look.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you want an airbag wheel thats small look on ebay for a lotus one , small and all the later cars have airbags , you can pick one up for 80 to 100 quid if you can find one when you look.

not going to be trivial to fit if the splines are different, which I suspect they are.

Clio 182 FF
Fit a small non airbag wheel then? My 172 passes MOT fine with a Sabelt 330mm wheel.

Well this is the likely outcome, it was just an idea to be honest! I loved my old omp trecento in suede I had on an old car, so I'll probably end up with one of those again.

not going to be trivial to fit if the splines are different, which I suspect they are.

Yeah it's a nice idea but as you say unlikely to be a bolt on job. Anyone know the spline pattern on the wheel?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
that i would not know and would be a ballache all round , as with any wheel

I suspect it will just be a case of making sure the resistance is the same (and tweaking with a resistor if not) and it will work, but the trouble is the hassle of testing it to be sure!

Clio 182 FF
I suspect it will just be a case of making sure the resistance is the same (and tweaking with a resistor if not) and it will work, but the trouble is the hassle of testing it to be sure!

Yeahhhh that might not be so much fun haha.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The Peugeot 308 steering wheel is tiny compared to the RS Clios...I would love to fit it to a 182, but think it will be a pain!

Nissan 350z
Its basically the same size as the 182 wheel, if marginally smaller. You just don't notice it in the Mk3 cabin as everything is scaled up.