ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issues with OEM steering wheel (ESP and Alignment) - 2005 182 Trophy

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I picked up a steering wheel today to replace the awful aftermarket wheel the previous owner had fitted.
However, I'm having a few issues which I'm hoping someone on here can advise me on.

1. When the wheels are in a perfect straight line the steering wheel is about 20 degrees rotated to the left. There seems to only be one way to connect to the steering wheel column so I guess it's been an issue for a while and the aftermarket boss was just put on to mask the issue? Any ideas what can cause this?

2. The ESP and service lights are both on since fitting the OEM wheel. I've followed the advice in this thread but the lights still come on after about 1/4 mile of driving.
The sensor is exactly center (it can't really go anywhere else otherwise the cables wouldn't fit through the steering wheel) and the yellow marker is showing.

Any help with the above is greatly appreciated.

Has it had a different rack put on?
Could be theyve put the aftermarket wheel on clocked and got it aligned for that.
Im not sure if turned all the way left and right gives the same angle but you could try it and see if one turn is off.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Has it had a different rack put on?
Could be theyve put the aftermarket wheel on clocked and got it aligned for that.
Im not sure if turned all the way left and right gives the same angle but you could try it and see if one turn is off.

How can I check for a different rack?
Do you mean turn the steering wheel all the way left and right to see if the rotation is off?

How can I check for a different rack?
Do you mean turn the steering wheel all the way left and right to see if the rotation is off?
Im not sure without a receipt or history, could look exactly the same.

Yup, if its way off then you will know but again not sure if they are supposed to be identical

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Im not sure without a receipt or history, could look exactly the same.

Yup, if its way off then you will know but again not sure if they are supposed to be identical

I've just dug out the attached from the previous owners documents. I'm guessing this could be part of the issue (going off the last sentence on the document)?

Attachments

• wheel alignment.jpg
    wheel alignment.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 88
Im not sure that would cause it to be 20deg out. If the toe is set like that, the car will go straight if you hold the wheel straight but will want to naturally pull to one side (does it want to go to the right when you take your hands off the wheel?)

Have you had the car aligned since? As that rear end and front camber is quite off, probably has a quick rear end but slow front

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Im not sure that would cause it to be 20deg out. If the toe is set like that, the car will go straight if you hold the wheel straight but will want to naturally pull to one side (does it want to go to the right when you take your hands off the wheel?)

Have you had the car aligned since? As that rear end and front camber is quite off, probably has a quick rear end but slow front

It doesn't seem to be pulling in any direction, possibly favoring the right slightly.
I've only had the car a week and that scan is the only evidence I can find of the car being aligned.

Any ideas on the ESP alignment issue too?

Andropidis

ClioSport Club Member
Sort the alignment out and get the steering wheel centered first, and then worry about the esp light. It's likely caused by the steering wheel not being centered when going straight.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Sort the alignment out and get the steering wheel centered first, and then worry about the esp light. It's likely caused by the steering wheel not being centered when going straight.
Thanks, will do. Any recommendations for a garage to align them around Nottingham or can any garage do it?