ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D40 - D80??

Is this a worthwhile upgrade? What does the D80 do that the D40 can't? Apart from the internal focus motor of course.

My set up would change from:

D40 + 18-200 + Sigma 30mm F1.4

to

D80 + 18-200 + Nikon 50mm F1.8

The sigma would have to go to make the extra cash for the D80 body.

Upgrade or stick??!

Megane Mk4
Personally? .. If I could afford the upgrade, I'd swap.
D40's are excellent camera's on a budget, but it lacks the internal motor the D80 has. The only drawback is the D80 is slightly older than the D40 so has a slightly older design look. But I would if the funds were there ;)

Fiat Panda 100hp
I was thinking about this today, internal focus would be cool.

Anyone know any difference in quality in higher ISO, as 3200 on the D40 looks pap.

Aparantly the D80 is just like the D200 minus a few things.

I was thinking about this today, internal focus would be cool.

Anyone know any difference in quality in higher ISO, as 3200 on the D40 looks pap.

Aparantly the D80 is just like the D200 minus a few things.

the metal body and a few of the buttons (layout) and the short cuts are different

cant remember if there is anything else,

The D80 is the old boy in the current Nikon line-up, so you won't notice a big step up in higher ISO performance (the new generation of Nikons blow virtually every other camera out of the water in terms of low light shooting, that will gradually filter through to 'our' level), it's mainly going to offer you some more advanced features, not really a significant step up in image quality.

I've not bothered upgrading from my D50 as obviously that already has an AF motor, but if I had a D40 I may consider it...on the other hand I would probably track down a D200 as they aren't much more expensive, but offer a significant jump in build quality and features.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I was seriously considering a D80 upgrade, but i'm now thinking that i'll try and save like a mofo and buy a D300 at around Christmas time.

Cheers for all the info, I think I might just stick with the D40 for now, as both my lenses are AF-S or HSM and I dont need any more lenses just yet, plus the ones i do want (10-20 Sigma!) are HSM anyway. Think I will follow Clarts lead and save like hell for the D300!!

I'm also in the saving like hell for a D300 club! Will get there one day, just booking a trip to New York which has dented my efforts slightly.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I'm also in the saving like hell for a D300 club! Will get there one day, just booking a trip to New York which has dented my efforts slightly.

Do you like New York, been there a few times already haven't you? I want to go too :(