ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

d40 lenses

Z4
I've gotten bored of the standard lens, so I'm looking around but if I'm honest I really don't know much about photography!

I want a high quality image, much better than the standard lens if possible.

And I want the ability to zoom in a fair distance.

Budget I'm not 100% on yet, depends what's available.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/Latest_DSLR_Lens_reviews.shtml

Have a look at this site for some really good informative reviews.

I have the Nikon 18-55 VRII kit lens [for lightness if wanting a bit of zoom-a-bility]
and a Sigma 18-200 optically stabilised lens [for outright zoom range/ convenience]
and a Nikon 70-300 VR for longer distance stuff [great for sports - I really like this lens]

Finally also have a Nikon 35mm F1.8 prime lens. Phenomenal quality - biting sharpness and featherweight compared to the others.

I rate all of the lenses, horses for courses though. Depends on your budget, as a lot of people said to me, shame to have Nikon body and not buy Nikon glass.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Would that give a higher quality image than the standard lens too? If I understand correctly a low f number apature means you can have the blurry background effect sort of thing?! I love all that jazz.

Try the 35mm F1.8
For £170 from Jessops its a belter, depth of focus is in millimetres when shooting wide open. :D

35mm f1.8 is excellent.

The all new 55-300 VR is getting quite good reviews too, great reach! Pkus you will not lose the 55-70 gap.

The 18-55 with the D$0 is an excellent kit lens though, you can get superb quality results from it!

None of the zoom lenses will give you much (if any) better quality.

If you want high quality and zoom.... your talking £££

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Sigma 18-200 OS

FIA_GT00110.gif

And a night shot, no flash at Lapland ISO1600

lapland_iso1600c.gif

Nikon 70-300 VR

FIA_GT00124.gif

Nikon 18-55 VR II

Clio182Cup2.gif

Nikon 35mm f1.8 :cool:

DSC_0149.gif

DSC_0226.gif

:)

Golf GTD Mk7
And a night shot, no flash at Lapland ISO1600

lapland_iso1600c.gif

:)

The clarity on that is pretty good for ISO 1600. That on a D40? I always find the d40 isn't great in dark conditions without flash (which makes pics look crap imo).

JMR

RB 182 Cup
The clarity on that is pretty good for ISO 1600. That on a D40? I always find the d40 isn't great in dark conditions without flash (which makes pics look crap imo).

Pics above were taken with a Nikon D80. EXIF data below.

Camera - Nikon D80
F-stop - f/5.3
Exposure time - 1/50sec.
ISO Speed - ISO-1600
Exposure Bias - 0 step
Focal Length - 65mm
Metering Mode - Pattern
Flash mode - No flash

This was taken with a 70-200mm.
4498769747_cb5ff6a232_z.jpg

Get these pretty cheap, and it's a nice step up from the standard lens. A prim lens will be sharper for the money and get a lower f stop but you won't have any zoom.

Z4

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Now that's what I want! Seems expensive though that one :(

Thanks Chris . :)

I bought mine a year or so ago when the pound was stronger against the yen, since then the price went up substantially, and dropped a little again now though.

Got mine for £369 from Jessops.

Depends if you want to see further! Lol.

The Aston shot is a good pic, but it's not the lens that makes it a good shot, it's JMR behind the camera.

As you're just starting out, learning is more important than having massively expensive glass. You could spend £10k on something and whilst it would give you a better DoF and better in low light, your shots probably wouldn't look much different.

3874170745_d495a2c007.jpg

4764117283_1d8ff677ca.jpg

3781094073_9007e47537.jpg

Those 3 were taken with the Sigma 70-300mm which at the time was pretty much the cheapest zoom. I don't want it for loads of things but wanted to have it available. It's probably about £150.

Without trying to be massively condescending (for a change) what's behind the camera (ie you) is far more important than the body/lens combo.

The tiger shot is probably one of the best I've taken and I've got lenses that cost triple the amount. On a body that was years and years old.

Z4
Depends if you want to see further! Lol.

The Aston shot is a good pic, but it's not the lens that makes it a good shot, it's JMR behind the camera.

As you're just starting out, learning is more important than having massively expensive glass. You could spend £10k on something and whilst it would give you a better DoF and better in low light, your shots probably wouldn't look much different.

3874170745_d495a2c007.jpg

4764117283_1d8ff677ca.jpg

3781094073_9007e47537.jpg

Those 3 were taken with the Sigma 70-300mm which at the time was pretty much the cheapest zoom. I don't want it for loads of things but wanted to have it available. It's probably about £150.

Without trying to be massively condescending (for a change) what's behind the camera (ie you) is far more important than the body/lens combo.

The tiger shot is probably one of the best I've taken and I've got lenses that cost triple the amount. On a body that was years and years old.

First things first, some great photography there chap.

Haha I know what you're saying though, in car terms it's like a young lad wanting the fastest car and Cs harping on that they should have driver tuition instead, I get it.

However, I've experimented enough with the standard lens and want a telephoto lens as I just cant see far enough with the 18-55, and I don't intend on buying many lenses for the camera. I'm thinking if I'm going to spend some money on one, why half arse it...

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Cracking shots you posted above there Revels. :cool:

Tiger shot is superb, you are certainly right to be very very happy with that. The other two are great too!

As you say, there's no substitute for skill/experience behind the camera.
It took me many many visits to get consistent shots from motor racing that I was happy with.

A couple more from the same visit:

FIA_GT001.gif

FIA_GT00125.gif

I'd say for the price, the 55-200 is a decent lens to get started with, and it wont cost the earth.
Plus if you decide to trade up later, you wont lose a fortune on your investment.

Have a read thro this
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor_DX_55-200mm_VR/verdict.shtml

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'd be looking at the 55-200mm too mate; I think I had a D40 2 days before I decided I wanted more zoom in my life!

Some examples of the D40/55-200mm combo from moi :)

3935528300_2198e82a59_z.jpg

4666026530_5e1d67aa58_z.jpg

4898892922_d17c9a7561_z.jpg

For the price, it's a great lens IMO. Not too great in low light, mind!

3382283455_9b3ab8cf4d.jpg

:eek:

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Fantastic pics there Luke.
Amazing. :cool:

I'm getting an ML-L3 infrared remote release this weekend to help with the night / low light shots. :)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
i have a sigma 50-200 for sale which will AF with the D40x,

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Fantastic, ordered this, job done! Missed out on the jessops deal before so got in quick with that one!

Just to say, thankyou very much for all the help guys, Luke your photos sold the 55-200 to me so thankyou very much you saved me a fair bit of monies over the 70-300!

No worries at all mate, for the money it can't be beaten IMO. Look forward to seeing some shots with it :)