ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dastek unichip

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

spotted an ad in the local autotrader for a dealer in fife who has rr etc and is a unichip stockist. anybody on here got one? cant these chips by programmed to run with other mods as and when they are added and im i right in saying it is a piggyback chip so the standard chip is left and this runs on top of it or something. what sort of power gains could i expect and how much are they. im asking on here first because i know the garage will tell me its the best thing since sliced bread and will give me 15-20bhp etc etc........

Correct on all accounts, it will enable you to alter fueling and ignition maps via intercepting the incomming signals to the ECU.

Power gain is dependant on condition and quality of mapping.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

but ive also read on here that somebody had one fitted and ended up needing a rebuild due to the chip causing major engine probs, dont know if due to running too lean but it puts me off a bit

Yes, if its mapped poorly and sets itself into detonation/knock or basically uncontrolled burn.

If the guy knows what hes doing then it shouldnt be a problem.

ive been to the dastek in fife about 2 weeks ago for a RR the guy knows his stuff a few of my mates got there cars unichip and they say its good and Iam going to get my car unichip at dastek in about a month time after I fit all my perfomance stuff on the car first.

i have done my 172 when i took it there on the rr as standerd the bhp was 164 then after the chip it went up to 172 and now with an itg maxegon filter its 185 but its not just the bhp its the mid range grunt it now has is very good along with all the handleing mods ive done its a very compatent car and will beat many more expensive cars

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

its the same as any mod...if they find you have one and havent declared it, you lose your claim

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 23 March 2004

its the same as any mod...if they find you have one and havent declared it, you lose your claim
Cant think it b an easy job to find a chip...Can it?

Dont laf...Is it only a 172 that the chip can b fitted to?

the piggy back item is faily large, and will have wires sprouting, so its easy to spot.

And its not 172 specific no.

It works by intercepting the sinals from sensot to the ECU and adjusts them, the ECU thinks its doing something else and reverts to a different map reference.