ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dastek Unichip

Just picked my car up after having one of these fitted. The reason for doing this was I couldnt be bothered to wait for the R-Sport upgrade and these were rated very highly and it was running lean after having my Viper kit fitted. I have to say after looking at the dyno print out im certainly not dissapointed with what they have done!

After all 172Bhp ATW cant be bad!!

estimated 192bhp, not too sure though. It has 162lb of torque too!! Ill get the graph scanned in to show as it shocked me when I read it!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

:) not a bad guess

im impressed mate!!

what does it feel like?

feels great, it really has ironed out the flatspots!

It cost £500 in total (fitting, VAT, relocating the Viper pipe, dyno, etc ) and it was done by Owen Developments in Oxfordshire.

They have never worked on a Cup before and he said he was "in awe" of it for such a small car!

Have to say Im probably one of the happiest Clio owners at the mo!

Just hope I dont prang it as Im going to "test" it a bit later on today after work on some nice quiet roads...

Great news! Did not now if it was possible to fit Unichip to the 172/Cup. My local Unichip dealer couldnt tell me if it was. Then it should go on the Mk1 as well?

Lars

I did get a before and after and it added 15bhp and really made a visable difference to the flatspots. Its a bolt on to the existing ECU but Im not too sure on the technicalities of it. If you search for a previous thread on Viper kits I did then theres a online brochure for the Dastek. Its on about page 22 of the Exterior section.

Thanks Sangy. Interesting, cuz at one of the RR sessions, the 172s with Viper kits were down on power vs a std 172! Mind you, thats all down to the RR to a certain extent.

Is the Dastek mod easily removeable and how much did your insurance company sting you for it?

Having just completed a track day at Bedford Autodrome, and fitted a HillPower induction kit, you certainly notice a couple of flat spots in the setup, more so with the HP filter. It would be great to get a conversion to iron these out and remove all the restrictions that come with a std ECU i.e. protection for low octane fuel, etc, etc.

Do you have a tel nos/contact name for these guys in Oxford? Curious to hear how they set the new map up for the car...

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 14 March 2003

Weathers good for it as well.
Sure is nice today.

If anyone wants to join me for a blast, leave now. Im going up the A127 for a run about 7pm. Dont say I didnt give you a head start LOL

Looking forward to seeing your graph Sangy.

320d M Sport

John Nobles told me on Saturday that theyre fitting Unichips to 172s and its making no difference to power WHATSOEVER! All it will do is iron out flat spots. I spoke to 2 different people there and they both said the same thing? Good power figure though!...

Ive heard surprising good results with Unichip however 172Bhp at the wheels? Thats hard to believe since it only piggy backs the existing ECU. I think a more realistic figure would be around the 136Bhp ATW mark.

Good thing that the Unichips are easily removed and you can use it on another car..

Paddy, Im sorry but thats arse what your being told! Admitedly the bloke at Powerstation said it was more for turbo cars than N/A but he was surprised at the gains I got from it?! After all, after spending nearly £500 on it I would have hoped for some improvement! I needed to have it done anyway as my Viper had lost me power rather than gained any but now its ok.

Ill stick to my guns that I made a better choice buying this then the R-Sport one even if it was more expensive.

Sorry mate, have had a few doubters so get a bit protective! Still Im hoping to go to the next RR day in the South (power engineering?) so we can all see then what Ive got.

RB5 & 172

sangy, what have you done to your cup? viper, zorst (what sort?) and dastek? good results though.

when is the power engineering rr day going to be? i have a day off work on the 9th may (day before i tie the knot) so i going to see if i can get booked in for then as i want to know what my car is putting out.

Paddy, thats a very good idea to average out the three, shoud give a more accurate picture. Have only had two done but one was before the Viper and chip so not really done another since, maybe its time?

How come Nobles only gave you the fly figure as I was under the impression that was estimated?

oh and jimblive, not sure if the RR day at power engineering is definitely going ahead, theres a thread on it in the Mettings bit.

320d M Sport

they told us the opposite of RE in bury, they said wheel figures are too vague and its flywheel figures tghey work out. They also said most 172s theyve had in dont get anywhere near 172! ITs good to compare cars though as theres only a few BHP between mine and jons williams (2 live) at both RE and Nobles. Their kit looks spot on though, bang up to date.

This is what confuses me as im no RR expert so when someone who works with them gives me an ATW figure after its been tested and says "there you go" I believe him!

Guess theres no definitive measurement then and it all depends on which RR you go to?

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 16 April 2003

they told us the opposite of RE in bury, they said wheel figures are too vague and its flywheel figures tghey work out.
this seems odd, not doubting they said it paddy but if its on rollers then its the wheels they are takin readings from and an atf reading will surely be calculated using some sort of transmission loss table, if it was out of the car and being benchtested then an atf measurement would make more sense, seems odd to me

1/4 miling youve got the problem of driver ability. The variables are endless on this power rating business. In summary I guess Ill get it done somewhere else and compare the two results.

320d M Sport

thats what i said! they said there were too many factures that affect ATW figures eg pressure, tyre tread, make etc-which kinda makes sense?:confused:

kinda but if its on a rolling road they have all that plus transmission loss to factor out to get an atf figure, all seems very strange to me, only way you will get a true atf figure will surely be to have the engine out and dyno it

Interesting, but as they are testing the power using the wheels then surely the only "accurate" figure they have is at the wheels ??