ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Data transfer from old to new desktop...what options?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My old PC is creaking, and I can't get the DVD drive to write any data discs, so options are?

USB key
Standalone HDD

Or could I have them both connected through my wireless router then just fire the files straight from one HDD to the other?

If not anyone have any recommendations for the standalone HDD?

Thanks.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Hardwire will always be much faster

Depends, but typically yes.

Depends how much s**t you've got to move, and whether a large USB key would be useful in future after you've finished? As 16GB ones are going for sensible money now...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Home based wireless then ;)

Unless he's on Token ring 4 or 10Base-T

802.11N is quicker than 100Base-T? Given that most home-spec desktops (particularly as one is an old one!) run 10/100Meg Realtek (nasty cheap) NICs.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
My old PC is creaking, and I can't get the DVD drive to write any data discs, so options are?

USB key
Standalone HDD

Or could I have them both connected through my wireless router then just fire the files straight from one HDD to the other?

Thanks.

Transfer Wireless, its the cheapest (free) and easiest.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

USB key
Standalone HDD

Thanks.

Transfer Wireless, its the cheapest (free) and easiest.

It'll have to be that as I've not got an ethernet network card in the old machine.

New machine running Vista, old machine creaking along with XP home, with me being a typical 'home user', is setting up the link across wireless going to have me tearing hair out?

Better than yours. C*nt.
If you've already got wireless network in place, it's slightly less difficult. Just share the folder you want to be accessible with permissions set to Read (or Read-Write) as 'Everyone' (Builtin security principles) and in Vista you'll need to make sure network discovery and file sharing is on (which, if you selected your wireless as being a 'Home' or 'Work' network it should already be).

Black 172 FF
Pull the hard disk out the old one, and put it in the new one is the best way :)

Or get an USB/Firewire extrnal caddy for the old drive to plug it into the new pc :)

Or... buy a mac...

"Navy" N17 TWO
I hate wireless on XP - I used an IDE HDD for moving my old files - just loaded it on and then installed it in the new machine :)

Maybe a bit more physical than moving everything electronically but it worked at the time lol

Rav4
DVD rewriter.

Could be worthwhile rolling back the drivers and downloading the latest ones from the manafacturers website... you never know......

Otherwise, hardwired for your current setup.

Better than yours. C*nt.
802.11N is quicker than 100Base-T? Given that most home-spec desktops (particularly as one is an old one!) run 10/100Meg Realtek (nasty cheap) NICs.

Most standard home users won't invest in wireless N technology yet though :S

Why not when Belkin and Linksys and the like have been pushing it for going on for 2 years now? And it's very difficult to buy a computer now that doesn't have a Draft-N wireless adapter? I've not got 802.11n because I've spent more on wired networking, it's something I'm going to consider when we move, but a lot of people have Draft-N. BT's own HomeHub is now Draft-N compliant.