ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi cutting out when throttle pressed

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
A strange one that has me stumped, so my wee van has a nice healthy fuel system, it will sit on full throttle, up hill on the motorway with no issues, no warning lights etc. Not a single bubble in the fuel lines.

Yesterday I done a 100 mile round trip with no issues, less than a minute from home I was sitting in first gear at a roundabout, lifted the clutch to pull away and it cut out, assumed I had stalled and re started it, same again! So I managed to get it going by not touching the throttle and just coming up thru the gears to get it off the roundabout.

Got it home and it's got me stumped. It will start and idle perfectly with no issues, press the throttle any more than a tickle to 1500rpm and it will cut out.

If I leave it sitting for an hour it will start and rev happily as normal for 30 seconds then cut out.

It cuts out literally as if someone has just turned the key off, no missfire, no stuttering etc

So far I've checked the obvious, all sensors and vacuum lines are connected, all wiring appears ok (nothing rubbed through anyway)

I found a broken glow plug wire which I've repaired.

Anyone got any experience going to try and borrow a snapon diagnostics kit tomorrow to plug it in

Last edited:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Seems like a fueling problem, first thing I’d check is the fuel filter.

After that check the injectors and pump for pressure etc.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if it's the same set up at 182 fly by wire pedal..
Just a suggestion.
yeah same pedal setup, I replaced the pedal about 6 months ago as it was bringing up the electrical warning light and loosing power, a different fault with the pedal could cause this though I suppose!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
split the filter or pull the pump and look for bits of gold in the fuel.
got you lol! no issues drained the filter no issues, generally the pumps fail over a long time too on them with the tell tale sign its on its way out when its not holding pressure under load but this one runs spot on, or did until yesterday at 7pm lol

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As above if the pumps fine check for diesal leaks anywhere and then leak test the injectors.

Pump on mine failed overnight with no prior warning so it does happen.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Plugged it in and was met with these...
IMG_20190701_111550.jpg

IMG_20190701_111557.jpg

Cleared the codes, re started and cycled the fault a few times
IMG_20190701_112358.jpg

Will change the tdc sensor this afternoon and see if we have a cure! Odd as usually they don't like to start when it fails.