ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de cat 172

My MK1 has a Devil decat pipe on it, and TimO and CharlieCup have both decatted Cups. Well, well worth it. Dont think about it. Just do it.

Edit - oh yeah, f**k sports cats, just get a straight thru pipe on, you know u want to!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 04 October 2003

My MK1 has a Devil decat pipe on it, and TimO and CharlieCup have both decatted Cups. Well, well worth it. Dont think about it. Just do it.
Does a de-cat really do a lot on the Clio then???

Where do you feel the benefits?

Well, as I said before, it wont turn your 172 into a different car, but for less than £100 you can have much better engine pick up, a great "wooooshing" noise, louder exhaust note and, I reckon from my AP22 runs (all conducted on the same road in both directions) about 0.2 seconds off the 0-60 time, which should mean at least 0.2 seconds off the 1/4 mile time (well, well see tomorrow!). The better pick up makes it so much better to drive at lower revs too. 2500 to 4500 revs is a better place to be than it was pre-decat.

Put it together with an induction kit/panel filter etc. and youve got a pretty good combo in terms of price, sound and performance.

Anyway, Ill be at York tomorrow, so come and have a rev/listen to the engine (will swap cars for a run if you want a go with a de-catted 172).

Rhys

Integra DC5 Type R

Good thread guys. So what de-cats are available for the Mk 2 172? Devil, Supersprint, K-tec. Any others? Im wanting a decent exhaust note but nothing too loud... just a deep purrrrrrrr! Would the Ktec silenced cat do the trick?

Lee

BMW M2C

Doesnt Chris n nic have one? I dont know what else he has done, chipped also possibly, but a 14.18 @ 97.56mph is very impressive as far as Im concerned.

are you allowed to have them fitted on your car when it is on road? i was under the impression that it was only for track use. probably something to do with an emmisions test to pass the mot.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 04 October 2003

Anyway, Ill be at York tomorrow, so come and have a rev/listen to the engine (will swap cars for a run if you want a go with a de-catted 172).
Cant believe I missed you yesterday...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 06 October 2003

Doesnt Chris n nic have one? I dont know what else he has done, chipped also possibly, but a 14.18 @ 97.56mph is very impressive as far as Im concerned.
Hes got a de-cat, a powerflow zorst, an R-Sport ECU and a Pipercross filter...

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by maff on 06 October 2003

are you allowed to have them fitted on your car when it is on road? i was under the impression that it was only for track use. probably something to do with an emmisions test to pass the mot.
You not supposed to have a de-cat fitted, but as long as you find a "friendly" MOT place you should pass anyway

111s

I spoke to k tec the other week about this, as i wanted one for my mk 2 172. however, appearantly the mk2s have 2 lambda sensors, one before and one after the cat and the ecu reads the differential in emmissions across the two. So to put just a straight through decat in would confuse the ecu meaning the only possibility would be a high flow cat in which is still under development.

Appearantly Mk1s only have one lambda so a straight through can be applied.

NOT GOSPEL.. just what i was told. not even bothered checking yet either

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by The_Gza on 07 October 2003

So can someone actually tell me where I can buy a decat pipe for my Cup then?
Speak to TimOs brother, Charlie.

We were talking about it at York on Sunday...

p.s. these are a proper bolt in & out one, so easy to fit/swap if needed.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by knoxville on 07 October 2003

I spoke to k tec the other week about this, as i wanted one for my mk 2 172. however, appearantly the mk2s have 2 lambda sensors, one before and one after the cat and the ecu reads the differential in emmissions across the two. So to put just a straight through decat in would confuse the ecu meaning the only possibility would be a high flow cat in which is still under development.

Yeah, the mk1 only has a single lambda and no probs with a de-cat, wheras the mk2 & cap have two lambda sensors and there were rumours about them throwing a wobbly if you fit a de-cat as the 2nd sensor flags up a fault and the engine warning light comes on...

Turns out theres not a problem and it was all a load of carp, as there are now several mk2s & Cupsw with de-cat pipes, all running fine!

JESUS LISTEN TO US YOU CAN DECAT A MK2 172 I KNOW YOU CAN I HAVE ONE AND NO LIGHTS ARE ON IT RUNS GREAT I EVEN ASKED RENAULT AND THEY SAID THE SECOND SENSOR ISNT NEEDED !!!!!!!!

Ive already got the K-Tec cat back system - just need a decat to complete the system hence the query.

I shudder to think how noisy its going to be with a decat :devilish:

Fingers crossed for some nice flames too :D

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by knoxville on 07 October 2003

wont a mapped chip solve this problem?????

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 07 October 2003

JESUS LISTEN TO US YOU CAN DECAT A MK2 172 I KNOW YOU CAN I HAVE ONE AND NO LIGHTS ARE ON IT RUNS GREAT I EVEN ASKED RENAULT AND THEY SAID THE SECOND SENSOR ISNT NEEDED !!!!!!!!
So Dogmaul, if youve got one can you please tell me where to buy it from?

Ta :)

right mine came from carnossieur southend mate its supersprint 70mm race decat needs the rest of the exhaust tho as thats what it fits on

The_Gza - Youre probably best off getting a ktec decat, it sill mate up to any exhaust with flanges, although it is designed for the mk1 so the decat is about 2" shorter on a mk2, so putting a telescopic section in there is a good idea, but it works great with a k-tec exhaust.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 07 October 2003

p.s. these are a proper bolt in & out one, so easy to fit/swap if needed.
Easy to swap i de-cat on a 172???? GOD ID LIKE TO SEE THAT!!!!

lmao @ fred, it can be swapped in and out, but due to the location of the engine side mountings, its anything but easy to do and ideally needs two people and a box of band-aid. Or pay your local exhaust place £25 to do it.