ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-cat my 182-yes or no?

182 FFAT
I've been reading pages on the subject and got more undecided (no surprise lol) if I should do it or not
I'm having the milltek cat-back exhaust, rs tuner remap and CDA air intake
Am I gonna have to re-map the car again if fitting a de-cat or leave it as it is?
Just want a higher pitched exhaust noise
option 2- remove the center silencer
Which one should I go for?
cheers!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Decatting on a road car is a ball ache.

Just remove a silencer.

RS Clio 182
I had a Miltek with straight-thru centre section & decat, sounded awesome and had no problems whatsoever.

What ballache do people generally get from doing it?

Decatting will make it loud and raspy. I personally think it sounds much better. I noticed that my car was much smoother as soon as I fitted the decat too.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
When I fitted my 182 manifold to my 172, I made a decat link pipe. Had to fit a cat shortly after for the MOT, so I welded in a small one from something else. Made so much difference to noise without effecting power that I left it in permanently

225 Cup & Williams
I have a Miltek system with a centre section and a decat fitted and it sounds perfect. Pretty quiet when driving normally but when you press the loud pedal it sounds nice and raspy.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I had a Miltek with straight-thru centre section & decat, sounded awesome and had no problems whatsoever.

its the fact you have to put the cat back on for the mot every year... it gets tedious!!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
De-cat it.

Mine:

Janspeed exhaust & Decat

Sounds like a monster going through tunnels etc :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio 182FF
De-cat it.

Mine:

Janspeed exhaust & Decat

Sounds like a monster going through tunnels etc :cool:

sounds nice, is this the silenced Janspeed or straight through (think it may be known as the supersport?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I still have a silencer, but still very loud on full throttle, pops the odd flame now and then too. :D

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I hated my decat, was on the T when I got it and put the cat back in within 2 weeks.

It makes it unbearably loud, personally felt the car was more responsive with the cat in too but that might because I didn't fear the noise. Plus they are an MOT hassle.

I also blame it for both my lambda sensors going faulty.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

ITs a pain in the ass for the MOT.

If it released 20bhp then its worth doing but the gains in no way warrant the time it takes to do.

IMO of course.

AAS'D RB 182
well i bought my rb with a de cat and i have just put the cat back on for mot which took me about half hour. and all i can say is cant wait to get it off and de cat back on. to me it makes a big difference alot more free reving and also sounds so much better. I have a full AAS system and de cat and have never found it 2 loud.

clio 182FF
Do you get a burble with the decat when for example going down a hill with no throttle? Just wondering if it changes that aspect of the noise of the car

182 FFAT
Just fitted the de-cat today, it's much quieter that I thought, maybe because of the center section and the fact that milltek systems have a deeper sound
I wanted it a bit louder but after thinking a while I'm pleased with it as it won't draw as much attention and wake up the whole neighbourhood
waiting for the emissions light to come on now lol
Thanks for the feedback and advices

225 Cup & Williams
Just fitted the de-cat today, it's much quieter that I thought, maybe because of the center section and the fact that milltek systems have a deeper sound
I wanted it a bit louder but after thinking a while I'm pleased with it as it won't draw as much attention and wake up the whole neighbourhood
waiting for the emissions light to come on now lol
Thanks for the feedback and advices

I think it sounds great. I've got the same system as you have now and it's loud when you want it to be which I like.

53 Clio's & counting
ITs a pain in the ass for the MOT.

If it released 20bhp then its worth doing but the gains in no way warrant the time it takes to do.

IMO of course.

Agree with Dan, if it released a huge chunk of power then it would be worth it, but 90% of what is felt is placebo effect as it's slightly louder, plus because you have made a change you are looking to find a difference.

My ph1 172 made 193 bhp on RS Tunings rollers on itb's - I still had the cat in, and we had a look at some other graphs Paul had done on other cars which were standard like mine(bar itb's of course), but which were de-catted and laid them over the top of mine - from the 4 or so we looked at, a decat would have gained me somewhere around 3-4bhp once over 6000 rpm - under that the power was within 1 bhp of mine.

So bearing that in mind, and the difference Iv felt de-catting other cars before my ph1, IMO it's not worth it

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
My first 172cup had a decat, first mod I did was fit a sport cat.

HORRIBLE boomy nastiness with a decat in my experience

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I fitted a decat to my Yozza system and I'm so glad i did it, sounds really good, you get used to the noise, especially when your weekend car is far louder even than a decatted yozza