ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de cat....

i hear alot of people talk about having a de cat, what does it actually do? :S does it give you any more bhp?, i know its something to do with the exhust but what does it actually do.? also how much is the average price fitted for this... cheers :D

Milltek'd 182
decat does exactly that! it de-cat's your car (cat meaning catalytic converter) the standard catalytic converter is taken out and replaced with some pipe, which is sometimes silenced. they are about £100. go onto www.yozzasport.co.uk and look it up on there. fit it yourself, dont think its that hard. gives a better response low down the rev range but not much on peak power (i think?). they are illegal on the road and will (majority of the time) need to be taken out for the car to pass an MOT. dont really know where the you stand if you get stopped and the police notice it. anyway hope that helps.

Dave

i think if you get stopped and the car is VOSA tested for emmisions on the roadside, and it fails because of the decat? the car will be taken from you? ive heard of something like this happen on a subaru, dont know about a clios emmisions though when a decat is being used...

Milltek'd 182
hmmm...doesnt sound good! they have the testing kits in police cars? as i'd have thought alot of dash lights being on might make them suspicious!

hmmm...doesnt sound good! they have the testing kits in police cars? as i'd have thought alot of dash lights being on might make them suspicious!

nah not in the cars i dont think... its just if its a VOSA van you get stopped by i think... or the police might be able to call them to the roadside on request? who knows... lol

Milltek'd 182
lol indeed who knows! i'd like to get one, as its fairly cheap, sounds good and inc performance but the scinario plays in my mind...what if i get stopped! i dont think its worth it :S

yeah true, the upsides make it worth it in most cases though!

not for me anyway still in the little leauges ;0 70ish bhp wewt... not.

RenaultSport clio 182
Im gonna get a de-cat, keep the old cat in a box in my boot. If i get pulled i'll say my old cat failed and i'm on my way to have this put back on, and pull the new cat out of the boot. And say i used the de-cat to see me through till the new cat was fitted. They'll probabily give you a producer and check you actually put the cat back on.:rasp:

Impreza STI v5
i have been told that it is worth getting a re map if you de cat your car, is this true or will the ecu work it out for its self and adjust to the fact it is running without one

ITB 16v hybrid
I got stopped once by the police and they had a vosa man with them, he looked under my car and didnt seem to notice that I had a straight through exhaust form the downpipe all the way back to a tiny tiny back box!! lol