ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead battery problem

My battery goes dead over night, just put a multi metre on it and found that when everything is switched off the alternator is drawing 1.63 volts.

when the engine is running i get 14.6v with lights on plus heaters ect

both alternator and battery are new

any help would be great

i'm not sure, what i done is set it to volts tested the battery whilst running then turned it all off then i put one on the big nut on the alternator then earthed it on the car battery?

182 ff
I had new battery fitted to mine by the aa(broke down)on my 182.. only last few months..i broke down again..
aa man said they fitted wrong grade of battery..(LEAD)..he fitted a new calicium one,been fine since...
maybe check the grade of your battery...sometimes you can just get a bad one. depends how long your battery been standing before you bought it.
all batteries are guaranteed for least 3 years, take it back..

Last edited:
this is my 2nd battery since november, i think you are meant to test in amp for power drawn now you've mentioned it

182 ff
disconnect the battery,take a reading ,then another in the morning... then you will know...if its faulty return it,, get a better grade one.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Give this video a watch, i have a drain on my battery too and i'm going to give this a go.

Mine doesn't go dead overnight like yours though, takes about 5 days on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Great stuff might try that on my 530 as battery doesn't seem to last very long. Thanks for the share. .

Clio 182
My alternator was drawing 500 milliamperes. I took it apart and cleaned it. It then drew 2500 milliamperes lol
its a very easy test and Eric the car guy will point you straight.

Now my clio draws 18 milliamperes.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Just so people have an idea what they are doing, the important things to know are.

Volts = Potential difference.
Amps = Current
Ohms = Resistance

For an example and ease of explanation, you've got a 12v battery with a bulb connected with a positive wire between the positive terminal of the battery to the bulb and a negative wire between the negative terminal of the battery and the bulb.
If you were to measure volts between the positive and negative of the bulb, you'd get a reading of 12v as there is a 12v difference between the positive and negative side. However, if you were to measure positive to positive, you'd get 0v as there is no difference.

For amps, you have to break into the circuit to measure, so you'd take away the negative cable and put the positive multimeter wire to the bulb and the negative multimeter wire to the battery, this allows you to measure the amount of current flowing through that circuit.

For ohms, if you measured volts across a wire or a component like in the first example and the voltage shown on the gauge is less than the system voltage, this is called a voltage drop and is caused by high resistance. To measure the resistance of a wire or component, you'd disconnect this wire or component and put the multimeter probes each end and this will tell you the resistance. A high reading on a wire would lead you to corrosion or a broken wire.

just done the test on my battery after charging it, i done what it said in the video above but my multimeter on goes to 10amp and the reading i got was 0.01. Is that right? Battery has been on all day and hasn't dropped any volts so far

Clio 182 FF
recharged the battery and not had a problem with it since, strange one but i think i have a dodgy wire somewhere

Is that with using the car daily? My car rarely gets used so if left for a couple of days I end up with flat battery, if used daily there is no issue. I've tried it with a multimeter but it doesn't register any AMP draw. Its probably a case of me not using it properly but tried all the settings can only get a reading for the volts and in Ohms. Anyway electrics isn't my forte so its going to the auto electricans this week as I cant find the issue.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Is that with using the car daily? My car rarely gets used so if left for a couple of days I end up with flat battery, if used daily there is no issue. I've tried it with a multimeter but it doesn't register any AMP draw. Its probably a case of me not using it properly but tried all the settings can only get a reading for the volts and in Ohms. Anyway electrics isn't my forte so its going to the auto electricans this week as I cant find the issue.

Set your meter to amps, remove the negative cable on the battery.

Now put the probes of the meter to finish the circuit. So, one on the battery terminal and the other on the negative cable.

i could leave mine for around 2 days before i have to start it for 30 mins otherwise i'd have a dead battery. I couldn't really test the amp draw as mine only goes down to 10 amps which is nowhere near enough to see if something was draining the power.

Clio 182 FF
Set your meter to amps, remove the negative cable on the battery.

Now put the probes of the meter to finish the circuit. So, one on the battery terminal and the other on the negative cable.

That's exactly what I did. It didn't register anything on the Amps setting using this meter - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rapitest-D...-/160769621479

So I also borrowed this piece of kit and couldn't get it to register anything that indicated what the amp draw was, I was told by the previous owner the RAC tested it at 0.4AMPs. If I got a reading anywhere near that I would be happy so I could start pulling fuses to chase the problem.

4BDCB46D-682C-4F7B-A396-C3C6F69CDDF6_zpspotp50bd.jpg

Clio 182 FF
I have tried.... It read the voltage that's ok. It reads 3.62 on the ohms setting. On the Amp setting it reads nothing. Must of tried it half a dozen times now.

Clio 182 FF
Yes somethings definitely not right, but if i cant get a proper reading from a testing meter i can't go any further with it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh right, well i don't know too much about house electrics but it has an RCD setting.

RCD being Residual-Current Device and Amps is a current, so i'd go with that.

Not sure what the symbols are on the RCD mode, but the bottom one... RCD auto test might work.