ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead battery?

997.1, Caddy, e208
So I've been having odd issues with my car, pretty long story.

Anyway 10 days ago I drove from work fine, got home, chucked my stuff in my house.... Jumped back into the car and it would not start.

After s few attempts, the dash lights were fading and it was seemingly powerless.

I'm charged the battery up, fired it, all was fine.

Yesterday morning I went to start the car, it fired up but died almost instantly with no idle, done this 3 times then nothing, would turn over but not fire up. I instantly thought alternator and charged the battery up.

Today, the car started but I had a lift for work so left the clio until I got back, it fired up and cut out again, no idle.

Just charged the battery again, got it started and idling.....

Battery reads 13.3v when charged and 14.38v when the car its idling so the alternator seems fine and the battery is charged.

Its an original renault battery, maybe 9 years old, possible 92k covered.

obviously I won't just replace the alternator on a whim if its during to be working, any ideas on anything else that this could be?

Does it sound like a dead cell or battery not retaining charge v very well?

Thanks in advance

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
So I've been having odd issues with my car, pretty long story.

Anyway 10 days ago I drove from work fine, got home, chucked my stuff in my house.... Jumped back into the car and it would not start.

After s few attempts, the dash lights were fading and it was seemingly powerless.

I'm charged the battery up, fired it, all was fine.

Yesterday morning I went to start the car, it fired up but died almost instantly with no idle, done this 3 times then nothing, would turn over but not fire up. I instantly thought alternator and charged the battery up.

Today, the car started but I had a lift for work so left the clio until I got back, it fired up and cut out again, no idle.

Just charged the battery again, got it started and idling.....

Battery reads 13.3v when charged and 14.38v when the car its idling so the alternator seems fine and the battery is charged.

Its an original renault battery, maybe 9 years old, possible 92k covered.

obviously I won't just replace the alternator on a whim if its during to be working, any ideas on anything else that this could be?

Does it sound like a dead cell or battery not retaining charge v very well?

Thanks in advance

I think the batteries only have a 2 year warranty . Mines almost 6 years old now which i'm well impressed with but does play up in very cold weather like we're having now . 13.3v after it's been charged seems very high . Turn your lights on for 1 minute with the ignition off then turn them off again . Leave for 5 mins then check the voltage . You'll probably find it's significantly less than 13.3v . 12.7 is a battery thats in A1 condition , 12.6v normal and 12.5v poor condition and might possibly need replacing if your having starting issues .

997.1, Caddy, e208
It's 12.7 now when off, 14.3 when engine running.

Will check in the morning.

I've ordered a new battery anyway, mine is for sure 5 years old.

If the batterys lasted 9 years its bound to be dead Ive not often seen them last that long. THe cold weather kills them RAC/AA shows how many die as the weather egts cold its amazing

997.1, Caddy, e208
Are they the symptoms of a dead battery, though?

I mean, it charges up fine on the mains charger, seemingly just doesnt charge up too well in the car.

It's being replaced asap anyway.