ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead Clio yesterday :(

Went to start the 172 last night & it died on me :cry:

I got in to the car using the remote & turned the ignition on, no problem. But when I went to start it all the lights went out, then nothing except a very dim interior light . Just like the battery had gone flat.

As its a company car (lucky me, I know) & it was raining, I called the leasing company who sent the RAC out. The RAC guy put a meter across the battery & it was fine. When he put a meter across the battery cables - nothing. Turns out it was just a duff connection to the battery as after he disconnected the leads & cleaned up the terminals its fine :D

Thing is, as this happened to anyone else on here before? It seems wierd that it could suddenly lose connection like that.

Suzuki SV650

Think the battery terminals can corrode or get a build up of dirt and stuff on them, and it causes a barrier for the charge to get out of the battery to start the car.
It happened on my Mark 1, some abrasive pad soon sorted out the battery terminals. Just keep them covered and clean!

A similar problem happened to me on my 52 plate clio!
Mine wouldnt start at all but all the lights and that worked,anyway i called AA out and they came asked me a few questions and then finally tried the connection on the starter motor!
The AA Guy took off connector and then brushed it with some wire wool to clean it and then put it back on and then it started first time :)
How stupid did i feel!!!!
he said "its the sh*te parts that renault put in there cars"