ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat and warning lights?

2005 Silver 182
So I’m looking into buying a decat pipe to finally enable me to fit my Ktec ultra exhaust.

Just want to get a heads up as to if this will throw up any dash lights or cause issues that need other things to sort them?

Any advice much appreciated

2005 Silver 182
Thanks for the replies chaps! Just need to find a friendly MOT tester somewhere for when the time is right!

Interesting to hear about a flat spot! May want to get some extra bits before a map!

monaco 172
Thanks for the replies chaps! Just need to find a friendly MOT tester somewhere for when the time is right!

Interesting to hear about a flat spot! May want to get some extra bits before a map!
Never caused a flat spot in either my 182 or my 172, I just took it off in the end due to the horrific noise on the motorway.

I think flat spots are more an issue decatting a 197 or 200.

Yeah my 172 cup had a dip in the torque curve after decatting too. You could feel it when driving too. It made it up for it at the top end though. Strangely the decat never threw a light either

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Good for noise and not much else without other major mods to suit, I notice no usable difference on track with 421 cams, remap, ikr and matched inlets apart from less rasp and generally less noise. However they are cheap and easy to swap if you decide you didn’t like it, if you don’t want a dash light on a 182 leave the rear lambda unplugged and cable tied up somewhere so it reads clear air and plug up the rear lambda hole on the de-cat.

Examples:

Mark fish modded standard cat:

De-cat:

2005 Silver 182
Good for noise and not much else without other major mods to suit, I notice no usable difference on track with 421 cams, remap, ikr and matched inlets apart from less rasp and generally less noise. However they are cheap and easy to swap if you decide you didn’t like it, if you don’t want a dash light on a 182 leave the rear lambda unplugged and cable tied up somewhere so it reads clear air and plug up the rear lambda hole on the de-cat.

Examples:

Mark fish modded standard cat:

De-cat:

Thank you very much for that info. My thoughts exactly regarding the cheap to swap out etc. Really useful stuff about the lambda aswell. Fingers crossed it arrives soon, can’t wait for some rasp!!!!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Dash light comes with a 2500prm limiter as well doesn't it?

Not really something you can just ignore.

So I’m looking into buying a decat pipe to finally enable me to fit my Ktec ultra exhaust.

Just want to get a heads up as to if this will throw up any dash lights or cause issues that need other things to sort them?

Any advice much appreciated
For what it's worth my insurance policy specifically mentions that, and I quote, "if required the vehicle must have a catalytic converter fitted (sports cat acceptable) or if de-catted be capable of passing the emissions test of an MOT test".

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough, I thought the little heartbeat light always came with a limiter.

2005 Silver 182
Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice. After giving it some thought I’ve opted to get a sports cat for the car. Hopefully it will still be raspy enough as I really do like the sound!

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice. After giving it some thought I’ve opted to get a sports cat for the car. Hopefully it will still be raspy enough as I really do like the sound!
They already have a 200cel sports cat as standard, no point going 100cel for the money they cost. Get group n timing instead as this will give real gains.

2005 Silver 182
They already have a 200cel sports cat as standard, no point going 100cel for the money they cost. Get group n timing instead as this will give real gains.

What does “group n” timing mean and entail? Not the most up on knowledge just yet I’m afraid!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
What does “group n” timing mean and entail? Not the most up on knowledge just yet I’m afraid!

It means getting the timing adjusted to a certain degree of advance/r****d to the same spec as the group n clio tarmac rally cars were set to.

It takes someone who knows these engines though, not your usual backstreet garage.

Some good power gains can be had.