ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decided we needed a cheap family car on lease...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Scrolled through 2 pages looking for the apparent nasty comments but I'm yet to see any, just people's opinions!

The car does nothing for me as like what Leeds2592 said, it's a bit pointless.

I think you need quite a bit of reassurance that you've made the right decision 😂 which isn't good

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
If you want a car that is zero stress and you know exactly what you're paying then lease is the way. 100%

Car looks good to me and to think you can drive around in a brand new car for two years for only 6k... incredible really.

Nice work I say. Bravo.

You're talking to the wrong audience here sadly, normally unless it fits the CS narrative you'll get bombed. That's the vibe I get anyway, incessant nit picking about the statements you made.

Yes you could buy a car on finance and spend less per month on repayments but then have the liability of things going wrong. Plus it's a secured loan and a depreciating asset.
Yes you could buy and old car outright and have the same worry as above but iut won't lose as much and over time will possibly cost you less than the new Renault.
Yes you could buy an old Sierra and have it on your drive 'appreciating' yeah right.

BUT, you want a car for for your other half, which won't theoretically let you down and lets face it, is a small amount of money a month for a brand new car.

BMW 330d :)
Honestly, I can't stand cars like this. They're absolutely pointless. You want a bigger family car, get an estate.

Also, whenever I see a car in a red like that, no matter how much you say 'it really pops in the light', it just makes any car look properly pov spec, even if it isn't.

If you're happy with it though, fair doos.

Cheers like I said it's for the mrs to drive mainly to cart the kids about. She likes it so that's all that matters. The paint is actually the I.d paint which is more expensive that the poverty white you get as standard.

It's not my idea of a fun car I would buy for myself but it serves its purpose well.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Trouble free motoring, its a Renault.

I would have said it was a good price to waste a month on that if you hadnt thrown away 1.7k to get it down to that price in the first place. I dont really get PCP on brand new average cars, just get one thats 2/3 years old and already lost the bulk of its initial depreciation and get out a loan for it, or if you wanted, get PCP on it, oh and also extended warranties do exist for second hand cars. Even on a 'cheap' PCP deal *cough 1.7k* you're still getting bent over.
Then that's not a brand new car is it, so your point is moot.

If you want a car that is zero stress and you know exactly what you're paying then lease is the way. 100%

Car looks good to me and to think you can drive around in a brand new car for two years for only 6k... incredible really.

Nice work I say. Bravo.

You're talking to the wrong audience here sadly, normally unless it fits the CS narrative you'll get bombed. That's the vibe I get anyway, incessant nit picking about the statements you made.

Yes you could buy a car on finance and spend less per month on repayments but then have the liability of things going wrong. Plus it's a secured loan and a depreciating asset.
Yes you could buy and old car outright and have the same worry as above but iut won't lose as much and over time will possibly cost you less than the new Renault.
Yes you could buy an old Sierra and have it on your drive 'appreciating' yeah right.

BUT, you want a car for for your other half, which won't theoretically let you down and lets face it, is a small amount of money a month for a brand new car.

Cheers. At last someone seeing it from my perspective. But I do realise everyone has got different tastes and uses for every car they buy..

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly, I can't stand cars like this. They're absolutely pointless. You want a bigger family car, get an estate.

Also, whenever I see a car in a red like that, no matter how much you say 'it really pops in the light', it just makes any car look properly pov spec, even if it isn't.

If you're happy with it though, fair doos.
So every red car looks povo spec lol?! Eh??

Scrolled through 2 pages looking for the apparent nasty comments but I'm yet to see any, just people's opinions!

The car does nothing for me as like what Leeds2592 said, it's a bit pointless.

I think you need quite a bit of reassurance that you've made the right decision 😂 which isn't good

I don't need any reassurance and I think I've made the right purchase for what we need the car for which is all that matters. And I don't mind people saying it's crap or they don't like things about it but some people just like shitting on other people for the sake of it and it's not needed.

For all the doubters saying I've paid too much I've got a challenge for you. Find a new kadjar in the same spec I got mine with the same mileage etc and you may have a point. But I can't find it. And I've been looking for the best deals on this for 6 months..

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I don’t understand why people think these vehicle types are pointless. For a start they are the biggest selling category now, so millions of more people disagree. My wife will only now drive a high slung car. She is a nervous driver at the best of times, however the higher seated position has given her loads of confidence. Plus the space, spec and fuel economy are actually what 99% of the general car buying public want. If I showed my wife a picture of half of what CS members think are cool cars she would laugh! It really is a perspective thing. I’m guessing most of the comments from people who think that style of car is pointless is from either you get chaps or people without kids and families. Plus if buying other halves cars like these ticks the practicality box and allows something slightly less practical as a second car then surely that’s a good thing!?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I’ve never understood cars like this. My maths says you’ll be laying around £6200 in payments over two years.

I paid £6500 for my wife’s Audi. Granted it’s a 2009 but it’s a 38k car new with the options plus after 2 years it’s still probably gonna be worth 3-4K.

When I drove cars in the 90s they broke, a lot, but modern cars, If they have service history tend to last a lot longer and make a lot more sense in my eyes.

BFFFCB32-3CD0-4084-9F59-C5DEBFA9551E.jpeg

But as long as you’re happy that’s all the matters.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve never understood cars like this. My maths says you’ll be laying around £6200 in payments over two years.

I paid £6500 for my wife’s Audi. Granted it’s a 2009 but it’s a 38k car new with the options plus after 2 years it’s still probably gonna be worth 3-4K.

When I drove cars in the 90s they broke, a lot, but modern cars, If they have service history tend to last a lot longer and make a lot more sense in my eyes.

View attachment 1484869

ok, and what about maintenance, brakes, tax, MOT's...fear of breaking down and leaving you and your kids stranded/late to an important meeting etc etc. Some people CBA with the effort or worry in a daily mate. Simple as that.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
ok, and what about maintenance, brakes, tax, MOT's...fear of breaking down and leaving you and your kids stranded/late to an important meeting etc etc. Some people CBA with the effort or worry in a daily mate. Simple as that.
Exactly this. If you put that Audi next to that new Renault my wife would chose the Renault every single time. That’s without understanding potential benefits of either option. She would side even more with the Renault when you start talking about Road tax, warranty, servicing, insurance and breakdown. This is from a woman who doesn’t like the idea of leasing as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

To be honest it’s good that we all have such a variety of choice nowadays. There is a car type and budget to suit almost all situations.

Cheers guys. I would really like the audi but I've been there and done it with older German cars. Yes it's much more premium than the Renault but it would be wasted on the kids and the mrs who isn't really into cars. Plus as said above the maintenance on this would be well above what I'm paying out over 2 years for my car especially on a car that is 11 years old. I had a BMW 330d roughly that age for 2 years before the kids arrived and it was a money pit. Consumables are expensive as its got the German car tax, and if anything more modern cars are more unreliable than 90s cars with all the extra electronics and tons of separate ecus to go wrong.

Last edited:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I don’t understand why people think these vehicle types are pointless. For a start they are the biggest selling category now, so millions of more people disagree. My wife will only now drive a high slung car. She is a nervous driver at the best of times, however the higher seated position has given her loads of confidence. Plus the space, spec and fuel economy are actually what 99% of the general car buying public want. If I showed my wife a picture of half of what CS members think are cool cars she would laugh! It really is a perspective thing. I’m guessing most of the comments from people who think that style of car is pointless is from either you get chaps or people without kids and families. Plus if buying other halves cars like these ticks the practicality box and allows something slightly less practical as a second car then surely that’s a good thing!?

I think the difference is that this is a car enthusiasts forum not mumsnet.

lol another classic, yes you’re right a car that’s 2/3 years old isn’t a new car.

I suppose we all have different priorities and that's ok. I bought a car as a new family workhorse for the Mrs and kids. If it was just me driving it or I was driving it more I would have got something that I look for more from a car.

But I still love looking on Auto trader to see what bargains of hot hatches and faster cars can be bought.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I think the difference is that this is a car enthusiasts forum not mumsnet.

Did you read to the bottom of my post, or just desperate to drop the ‘mumsnet’ comment 😂 the point is that if buying a Tupperware family mover allows for a ‘drivers’ second car then that surely can only be a good thing? ?

So for me, as an example. Buying my wife one of these allows me to change my 320D estate into something like a Golf R, m135...

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I suppose we all have different priorities and that's ok. I bought a car as a new family workhorse for the Mrs and kids. If it was just me driving it or I was driving it more I would have got something that I look for more from a car.

But I still love looking on Auto trader to see what bargains of hot hatches and faster cars can be bought.

I understand that totally and we have the same, what I don’t understand is the NEED to have a brand new car when something that’s 2/3 years old with an extended warranty (if you need it) would be an cheaper option? Obviously it’s down to personal choice and people get mugged off paying over the odds for PCP on brand new depreciation machines all the time im just trying to understand why you want to waste your money? Not actually sure why I really care but I feel slightly invested in this now…

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1484869

Nice barge no doubt but you sound like someone who owns a 10 year old German motor that hasn't broken down yet.

Best of luck with it but I've paid my fair share in german repairs. My two E46 330d's and my E92 330d were just bills every month.
Dampers, ABS pumps, pulley bolts, brake lines, calipers, injectors.... the list went on and on.

So the value of yours might be 3.5k less if you sell privately but by the time you add the road tax and repairs will it be that much different to £6200?

I think some people have a skewed view of 'costs' with cars and actually £6200 over two years isn't very much, especially when you know exactly where you stand.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
So every red car looks povo spec lol?! Eh??

Yeh, especially E92 m3s, they look horrendous in red ;)

Should have worded that better really. Not every car, no. But cars such as this, Jukes, other fake 4x4's in like a solid red just look so s**t.

I'd go as far to say that this would look loads better in white imo.

I understand that totally and we have the same, what I don’t understand is the NEED to have a brand new car when something that’s 2/3 years old with an extended warranty (if you need it) would be an cheaper option? Obviously it’s down to personal choice and people get mugged off paying over the odds for PCP on brand new depreciation machines all the time im just trying to understand why you want to waste your money? Not actually sure why I really care but I feel slightly invested in this now…

Did you not see the link I posted earlier from Autotrader? I found exactly the same spec of Kadjar that I got but a 19 plate and 14k miles on it. Put in the exact same terms on a pcp deal as it had depreciated to £14k! and it was £75 more per month than what Im paying for a brand new car?

Why would you do that unless it actually saves you money? I think people are two quick to criticise without doing their homework first....

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

2009 car and fear of it breaking down? Sounds like my dad! He used to s**t himself at mot time for his 3yr old bmw.

Yeh, especially E92 m3s, they look horrendous in red ;)

Should have worded that better really. Not every car, no. But cars such as this, Jukes, other fake 4x4's in like a solid red just look so s**t.

I'd go as far to say that this would look loads better in white imo.

Nah I think the I.D Flame red looks better than a flat white every time. If anything the flat, non pearl/metallic white looks like the cheap budget option.. But everyone is different.

Last edited:
2009 car and fear of it breaking down? Sounds like my dad! He used to s**t himself at mot time for his 3yr old bmw.

I've got experience of this unfortunately. The bmw I had was about the same age when I got it and it cost a fortune. My bro bought a used cls out of warranty and it cost a fortune when things went wrong. All the ecus started failing...

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice barge no doubt but you sound like someone who owns a 10 year old German motor that hasn't broken down yet.

Best of luck with it but I've paid my fair share in german repairs. My two E46 330d's and my E92 330d were just bills every month.
Dampers, ABS pumps, pulley bolts, brake lines, calipers, injectors.... the list went on and on.

So the value of yours might be 3.5k less if you sell privately but by the time you add the road tax and repairs will it be that much different to £6200?

I think some people have a skewed view of 'costs' with cars and actually £6200 over two years isn't very much, especially when you know exactly where you stand.

I had my last Audi for 10 Years and did 140k in it before it died. Yeah, they cost money but they don’t cost 6k in 2 years.

Reactions: Pep

Same experience I've had with cars like that I'm afraid. You may be lucky to get a good one. But things go wrong on even previously well maintained luxury cars so its a bit of a lottery. I just didn't want to take that chance if the Mrs and kids were using it all the time. I would rather take the risk myself and get a more exciting car for myself...

I'd drive this. Had an old Scenic and it drove great for a old french bus.

I've only leased one car and that was an BMW i3 when they first come out. £300 a month over 24 months, no deposit, and everything included (insurance, maintenance, servicing, consumables, free charge point at work etc)

Didn't regret it one bit as it was something totally different and a cracking drive.

I had my last Audi for 10 Years and did 140k in it before it died. Yeah, they cost money but they don’t cost 6k in 2 years.

It depends on the car though, maintenance and to some respects luck. Its a lottery. And i went for the safe, boring option lol

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got experience of this unfortunately. The bmw I had was about the same age when I got it and it cost a fortune. My bro bought a used cls out of warranty and it cost a fortune when things went wrong. All the ecus started failing...

There’s always horror stories and all cars cost money. I guess it’s different strokes for different folks.

I'd drive this. Had an old Scenic and it drove great for a old french bus.

I've only leased one car and that was an BMW i3 when they first come out. £300 a month over 24 months, no deposit, and everything included (insurance, maintenance, servicing, consumables, free charge point at work etc)

Didn't regret it one bit as it was something totally different and a cracking drive.

Now that's a good lease deal. It works out to £7200 over two years but I suppose you get everything included. But unfortunately the market has changed since then..

Still waiting for someone to find me a cheaper deal per month over two years for the same spec of car I got?

New or used? Any takers?

:p

I'd rather not try to find a cheaper deal to save the embarrassment incase I suddenly die and someone looks at my browsing history and see's I've been looking at Kadjars….

Good point but I think that would be the least you would need to worry about with your browsing history... ;)😆😆

Mine was through work on a salary sacrifice 'green' scheme. Some unbelievable deals on there at the time, the i8 was only £700 all in.

Yeah I remember when you could get golf r's for just around £250 a month. Unfortunately these deals have long gone and I missed the boat..

Status
Not open for further replies.