ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser operation please help.

A5 Cab,MCS, GTC Sri
Hi all I have my engine stripped right down now just waiting for a few of the parts I have ordered to arrive I have been looking about on here and You tube to find out more about the dephaser I just wondered does it achieve it's phase shift in either direction by use of oil / hydraulic pressure I noticed the oil ways in the end of the cam shaft and the shift solenoid near the pulleys ? Does the pulley lock and unlock in position the only reason I ask this is the car I bought came with a collapsed timing belt tensioner where the plastic idler tensioner had exploded. The dephaser pulley appears to be in really good condition it does look new as did the cam belt kit it didn't look that old at all. Is there anyway I can check the pulleys operation / position I assume that the home position would be anti clockwise and advanced would be clockwise with respect to the camshaft.

I hope what I am guessing makes some sense and someone can enlighten me on the dephaser's operation.

Thanks in advance : Mike

A5 Cab,MCS, GTC Sri
Thanks for your reply do you know if it is then locked in position or is free floating thanks : Mike