ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser Pulley making slight noise

172 Cup
Hi guys, I've had my 172 cup for 3 weeks now and I'm loving it :D. I have noticed though that after the engine has warmed up I can hear a slight noise from the dephaser pulley at idle and when I say slight I mean slight lol. You can't really hear it outside the car, but you can when you're in the car.

I was just wondering roughly how many miles you think its got before the pulley starts making a real racket and needs changing?

I know that the cambelt was only done a couple of years ago, so I don't see the point in paying for it all to be taken apart again until its really necessary.

Cheers

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Well if you checked all of this before buying then it wouldnt of needed doing or you could of haggled on price :p dont be a pikey just get it done asap then its done then. i would for peace of mind alone

172 Cup
Theres no way I could have checked before buying as it only starts making the noise after at least 20 mins of driving and to be honest its such a slight noise I may not have even noticed it. I think its the dephasor because it sounds exactly the same as videos of engines people have diagnosed on hear as the dephaser, only a lot quieter. The noise also disappears after about 2k revs. The car only has 44k on the clock and the owner for the last 9 years was a 65 year old gent, so its unlikely to have been constantly thrashed. If the noise gets louder in the future I will have it changed, but for now I can't really afford to do it as I'm paying off the insurance :(

172 Cup
After reading up some more about this noise, it sounds like it could be the carbon canister. But if i reved the engine slightly from idle, would the knocking noise get faster if it was the carbon canister?