ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Day/Colour Coding

O4 Dynamique
Me and a buddy of mine decided that seeing as we had nothing to do today, that we would have a bit of a detailing session and sort out my bump strips. Rear, front and sides.

So, we got up around 10 and cracked straight on with it, i was expecting a sore back by the end of the day and boy have i GOT ONE.

I built up a vast array of products over the past month or so, so I decided to put them all to good use today.

I WILL PUT SOME PICS UP 2MOROW WHEN MY MATE GIVES EM TO ME.

The process was:

1. Pre-rinse
  2. Shampoed with Chemical Guys Wash and Wax using a megs lambswool mitt. (Two bucket)
  3. Dried using a Sonus Waffle Weave Towel
  4. Applied one coat of AG SRP
  5. Applied some G3 Compound Paste to certain areas of the car which were in need to touching up. Little scuffs and scratches have appeared over the past few months which i was promising myself i'd tackle em.
  6. AG Paint Renovater
  7. All wheels removed, sprayed with AG Wheel Cleaner, then washed with chemical guys wash and wax and a washmitt.
  8. Tyres then dressed with megs high endurance tyre gel.
  9. All bump strips dressed with SRP.
  10. Windows cleaned with AG Window Care.
All in all a good day, will post the pics tommorow. Let me know what u think.

O4 Dynamique
Yeah mate, wasnt as hard as i thought it would be to be honest, just took my time, preped loads, primered, got the right paint, then laquered. Drop me a PM if u need ne more info.

O4 Dynamique
This is the only pic ive got at the mo.

All comments welcome.

Attachments

• P7160089.JPG
    P7160089.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 105
have you got any more pics of the whole car colour coded??

shame you dont live closer to me as i could do with some help!

O4 Dynamique
no no no, not in one day, took about 3-4 days, just thought id make it all into one post. Will get some pics of the whole car up in about 10 mins.

O4 Dynamique
Heres some more pics.

Attachments

• DSCF1645.JPG
    DSCF1645.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF1646.JPG
    DSCF1646.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF1648.JPG
    DSCF1648.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1649.JPG
    DSCF1649.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 44
  O4 Dynamique
i did apply some AG Tar Remover to get rid of excess bumper care, that worked a treat. Then i just sanded em down with 1500 wet and dry.

O4 Dynamique
yeah give it a go, i was talking to 'bland' and all it really takes is patience and good prep. O and the right colour paint lol

ATS CUP'd Dynamique
my dad took mine off for me so i cant help you there....
but if you do colourcode them do more coats of paint and laquer then on the sidestrips as they get scratched easily

172 & RSi
Did you take em off the car to colour code? Any chance you could do a sorta step by step guide as I fancy doing this but I'm daunted about taking the strips and bumpers off and also about masking

Cheers

O4 Dynamique
Right,

1. Remove bump strips, they should just clip off, use a flat head screw driver with a cloth attached to it to prise them off.

2. Clean up all the strips so they are free from grime and dirt and what not.

3. Prepare them ready for a coat of primer, to do this, use 1500 grit or 1200, wet and dry, this is the most important stage, and if this is done correctly then a better finish will result. FAIL TO PREPARE, PREPARE TO FAIL.

4. apply a coat of grey primer to the chosen bump strip and leave to touch dryness for about 25 mins, it is best to do all the spraying indoors, e.g. garage, shed, as u will have less chance of moisture, or bugs and whatnot getting into the fresh paint.

5. Once the first coat of primer has dried, take the 1500 grit wet and dry and place it in a bucket of water, leave for 5 mins, then procede to GENTLY rub over the bump strip, this will leave u with a nice smooth surface to apply another coat of primer too.

6. Apply another coat of grey primer to the bump strip and repeat the previous process.

7. Once this has been done, take your chosen colour of paint and begin to apply it to the bump strip, Take ur time with this process and dont rush it, let this first coat dry for 15-20 mins, and wet sand it down with the 1500.
Again a nice smooth surface should result.

8. Apply another coat of the chosen colour to the bump strip and leave to dry.

9. Once this has dried give the strip once more pass over with some wet, wet and dry and wipe of the excess water.

10. Take your can of laquer and begin to apply this to the bump strip.
Apply about 2-3 coats of laquer.

Hope this helps anyone, if ive missed anything out then do please tell me.

James