ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diesel Induction

Hello

Just considering fitting an induction kit to the DCi but wanted to know what power gains to expect and whos fitted what.

The other idea I had was to get a better filter, K&N or whatever and then fit an intake under the front bumper and use a heat shielded pipe to feed cold air into the factory air box. Someone on here mentioned something similar in another post.

Oppinions/recommendations and especially anyone thats modd a DCi.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

ah, ok lol.

not really sure about DCI but ppl say ITG filters at the moment!or bmc/viper. make sure u have a good air feed tho! your other idea is good too with a panel filter, just not certain on gains!

Thanks. The problem is I havnt been able to locate a forced air induction kit for the DCI so I am looking at an open cone. I could go for this and then fit a heat shield.

The K&N kit for the DCi comes with a cold air feed but I was going to modify this slightly and use a heat resistant pipe and fit an induction vent into the under-bumper area.

You wont make any extra power maybe a slight responsivness increase but its barly noticable.

Diesels need more fuel and boost (if there smoking) to make more power nothing more.

What diesel do you have? The 65s made good gains with an intercooler (and custom remap) after all running as much boost as they do intake temps are a killer. Easy way to check is to get the revs up flat out driiving them see how fast it accelerate from 50 to 70. Then slow down and cruise for a bit at 50 on partial throttle then floor it again and youll see the car has more power.as the intake temsp are so mcuh cooler.

A big cone filter from a cold air type induction kit would be the best but as I said it wont make any more power unless your running with smaoke as the extra cold air youll get will help reduce the smoke and make more power.

Way I see it is that if I can get more, cooler air into the engine then the ECU will inject more fuel to maintain the mix and that will increase the BHP and torque.

Iv e only found one induction kit for the DCI which is the K&N 57i and this comes with an open cone and a cold air feed fed from the front of the car. Which, if I fit it I am going to replace with a heat insulated feed and remount it so it doesnt travel across the engine as the original one does. Im hoping to take an intake from the left hand side straight to the filter. However the way I see it this will only produce cold ai in the vicinity of the filter when the car is travelling at a reasonable speed. This would mean that from standstill the new filter, although less restrictive, would draw in warmer air than the factory box.

As no sealed IK is available that led me to consider the second option, which would be cheaper also. That is to remove the Renault air pipe and run a heat resistant pipe from a similar point at NSF of the car, Im thinking of fitting a round intake in the lower griller area, and running it to the factory box. Then replacing the Renault air filter with a K&N panel filter which should also be less restrictive. The problem I forsee here is that although the set up will provide more air and it will be cooler - from standstill - it will still be more restictive than the IK including from standstill.

Thus it is a matter of what has most effect - air temp or air flow and whether the IK can be heat shielded in some way.

Has anyone got a diesel and fitted an IK and if so how did you find it?

People with petrol cars please dont plaster the thread saying I should have bought a petrol car. I like Diesels.

Unfortunatly the dci runs fixed fueling maps since unlike a petrol there is no lean or rich mixtures (withoin reason) that are unfavourable to the engines running.

The only difference you can make make is to get more fuel into the pistons on each stroke this is done via custom remapping or new injectors (80 dci are about 20% better for flow hence HP). Even then youll still need custom remapping. If you are getting black moke or intake temps are getting to high ater a few seconds (use the test I said easier) then your only option is to stick an intercooler on the car (the 100dci is the best of the two Renault ones) but you can make any one fit. The 150PD used on the Golfs and 130HP PD Audis are the best but there big and might have a bit of lag in them.

You can keep the stock intake upto 135hp proven (although using an aftermarket air filter is better as you can change/clean it more often and cheaply). Id guess tock intake is good for about 200hp after than youll find that it becomes a bit of a restriction and by that time youll have to be running a different turbo and injectors anyway.

Basicaly intake temps dont matter thaere are more important things to get real gains that worrying about that.

Have you ever run with the air feep pipe to the air filter removed the engine noise is quite different I didnt like it (only took it off to save weight for the track once).

Getting intercooler cooler to fit is quite easy realy there a guide somewhere on the net from the Portugesa Clio owners saying how to do it. Ive got a copy at work but Im not there for two weeks so I canot send it to you quickly). However with an intercooler fitted youll realy want to get a custom remap which should push you to about 105hp maybe 110hp with a lot of mapping.

Im suprised someone hasnt mentioned petrols yet though in this thread. I prefere my dci than the 1.6 16V Ive had for the past few days although it was a lot quicker. In fuel alone I save about £5 in the diesel driving to work and back for two days so the savings realy add up. Also you get a 172 style/ dci kick unlike the 1.6s which seem very liner which is something I dont like. I love my 2k kick in the dci and 5k in the Williams.

Edde

If you could possibly find the guide to fitting the intercooler when you are back at work then itd be a great help.

wasnt able to find anything in Google.

Cheers

Dave