ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

difference between 1.2 & 1.4

Can any body tell me the difference between a 1.2 and 1.4 engine. Is it bigger bore, different head (rockers, cam e.c.t), different injection system, or is the injection system the same just the ECU controls it different, same gearbox? Need to know as im gunna go from a 1.2 to 1.4, as my 1.2 went bang.

Thanks in advance, Matt

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

get a complete 1.4 engine with its ecu and wiring loom and everything will fit in.you could use the 1.2 gearbox if you want.

182 cup pack

Guys the differences are many between these two engines(1,2 16v and 1,4 16v)

But the only difference between 1,4 and 1,6 16v is the bore and stroke and of course the managment.

I think hes ona bout the mk1s, whihc are not 16v.

Depends what 1.4 engine you have, in the haynes manual the E-Type engines, 1.2 and 1.4 are basically identical, im not sure what makes the 1.4 a 1.4 and the 1.2 a 1.2, but looking at them from the outsdie they look the same

Honestly on the road there is hardley any differnce between them, maybe in 1st, 2nd and 3rd its slightly fatser,b ut above that there is nothing between them

Mk2 Golf GTI

Dont believe you lunner, i pissed all over a 1.2 in my old RT on the A45, he was miles behind! and i could get 90mph in 3rd gear! Its higher up the gears that the car is more likely to pull away. ie, i kept up with a VTR to around 50-60mph in my new car and thats only a 1.2. But with the mk1 i found my ph1 RT more refined to drive after test driving a couple of ph2 RLs. Go for the 1.4 energy mate. Or have a look on a salvage site for a new 1.2 16v engine, these are nippy, quiet and very economical if you dont rag them!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Breakout on 24 February 2004

Me and my mate both have MK1 Phase3s a 1.2 and 1.4 and both engine bays look completely different!

But yeah just get a complete 1.4 lump
thats because your mate will have the 1.2diet engine.earlier clios had a 1.2 version of the energy engine which from the outside is identical to the 1.4energy engine.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

putting the 1.2 16v in an old clio would involve a lot of parts and wiring to get it to work using the original injection system etc.

piss over any 1.2 ive come across! Ph1 Ph2 there jus generally a lot slower

done a 0-60 in mine and my mates same road and conditions

1.2 = 13.4 secs
1.4 = 10.2 secs

182 cup pack

I think that a 1,4 cant drop down from 11 sec(always talking bout an 1,4 with no mods)

As said above, you cant put a new style engine in as the mounts/wiring etc will be different.

If you have "energy" stamped accross your knackered 1.2, get the 1.4 version and drop it straight in as they look identical from the outside - pretty sure you will need the ECU as well. Its not worth trying to keep bits of your engine and mate them to the replacement 1.4 parts as although they may fit, the cost/time/effort is pointless - you can get a decent working 1.4 block for peanuts thesedays!

The 1.4 will be far superior than the 1.2 despite what someone has said and there is a lot more tuning options for it too (hillpower). Its a similar comparision to the 1.8 vs 2.0 arguement; yes straightline performance is comparable but roads have corners etc - there is no substitute for torque that extra ccs give you!

Mk2 Golf GTI

You can fit any engine into anything if youre willing to spend the time/money. What have the standard injectors got to do with anything if you get a whole new engine?