ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between cup etc.....

E39 M5 & Corsa track
Hello all, new member here!

After my current daily runner has expired today im after something a bit more fun and wont mind the occational track day along with other toys...

Im after a bit of info and advice! not wanting to spend massive money on a clio but pretty sure im set on one now!

Whats the differences between:

normal 172 and a 172 cup - tech spec and features

normal 182 and a 182 cup - as above

trophy over 182.

many thanks for the help!

off to browse the classifieds!

regards

broster

E39 M5 & Corsa track
now im a paid up member do i need to spend hours trawling thru the serch pages or will people help!

having had a quick scan i feel a phase 2 172 cup is what im after, what kind of money do these go for? and what year/reg does the phase 2 start and end? i gather its a change from cable to FBW throttle but is the rest just bumpers and lights???

cheers

T

thecremeegg

The cup is good if you dont want luxuries like leather seats etc. Beware it also doesnt have ABS, and will lead to a higher insurance premium (usually)
I believe that the Ph1 172 was from an X plate to a 51 plate, or near enough.

having had a quick scan i feel a phase 2 172 cup is what im after, what kind of money do these go for? and what year/reg does the phase 2 start and end? i gather its a change from cable to FBW throttle but is the rest just bumpers and lights???

They only did one 172 Cup there no phase 1 Cup.

Prices well you can get them for anywhere between £4k and £7k Dpeds on milage there one for £4.7k on the trader with a dealership with 90k on the clock. You can get cheaper crashes repaired ones (they do crash a lot).

52 plate was the start of the Cups.

There some phase 2 normal cars (ie not cups) on W plates though as per that thread.

Yep not much chnage realy some like the phase 1 looks some like the phase 2's The body shell was chnaged a bit nothing much though.

E39 M5 & Corsa track
len, thats me, currently rebuilding it to be over 220bhp from a 1.6. want something fun for everyday use tho!

thecremeegg, not that fussed on luxeries, also have a golt 1.8t gti that the other half uses daily for the longer trips!

cool so the cup is only phase 2, time to start hunting! would be nice ot have one by next weekend so i dont need to keep using a borrowed car!

whats the best way to tune the 172, usually work on vauxhalls and fords and 106's (work at jamsport in northampton) so the clio is fresh ground for me....

any tips etc greatly appreciated! cant see it staying standard for too long!

whats the best way to tune the 172, usually work on vauxhalls and fords and 106's (work at jamsport in northampton) so the clio is fresh ground for me....

any tips etc greatly appreciated! cant see it staying standard for too long!

Well you sounds quite mechanicaly minded must be a fair old spec on that 1.6 I know the respond well but that good going.

Best way to tune depends where your wanting to spend the money personaly suspension and brakes are more important get them how you like unless you wan a drag car.

Otherwise intake manifold is a good gains for money a decat/sports cat helps since stocks a bit restrictive then panle filter etc and a remap.

There loads of options though just need to have the money.

E39 M5 & Corsa track
hello all, few familiar faces on here then!

edde, my old engine spec was 190bhp still using standard internals, this new spec has steel crank, rods, pistons, dry sump etc etc! bottom end alone has cost an absolute fortune! if i didnt work where i do it wouldnt have been possible!

seems you dont need to spend silly amounts on them to go faster which is the main point of the car for me! ill keep m eye on the classifieds!

cheers people!

172 cup TT
seems you dont need to spend silly amounts on them to go faster which is the main point of the car for me! ill keep m eye on the classifieds!

well, you kinda do... your talking over £1500 just to knock on the 200brake door... about £4k for 220+'ish... 50 brake for £4k hmmm :(...

£3500 on a Vag 180 nets around 320brake

E39 M5 & Corsa track
when iv spend over 1k on a crank for my other car it seems cheap lol!

dont intend to tune it stupidly tho to be honest! defeats the point of it being a daily runner when i have something in the garage to spend on

172 cup TT
when iv spend over 1k on a crank for my other car it seems cheap lol!

hehe enough said - well i would say after you have tuned it to the level it sounds you are going to tune it to (less than £1000) you'd be looking at mid-late 180's tops.. still, a quick cup

ST
IMO forget the 182 cup, its pointless...

172 cup for out and out driving experience...no ABS, no traction control, no xenons, no leather, no cruise control.

182 Sport with cup packs if you want a bit of both...standard kit, ABS, traction control, cruise control, xenons, aircon with climate control, half leather interior.

Best the best of the bunch for fun factor i'd go with the 182 trophy, a bit more expensive than the 182 Sport but well worth it.

E39 M5 & Corsa track
not really prepared to spend that much on a car thats more track biased, i have a track car in the garage. its more than double what i could get a 172 cup for.

cheers for the info, decided on a 172cup now :)

edde, my old engine spec was 190bhp still using standard internals, this new spec has steel crank, rods, pistons, dry sump etc etc! bottom end alone has cost an absolute fortune! if i didnt work where i do it wouldnt have been possible
How come you didn't bore it out or stroke it a bit?
IMO forget the 182 cup, its pointless...

Best the best of the bunch for fun factor i'd go with the 182 trophy, a bit more expensive than the 182 Sport but well worth it.
Depends on your view of worth it the Trophy personaly a unusable car its way to hard a setup to do milage in it. I'd always go for an other car its great advantage is it should hold its value.
As for the 182 Cup being pointless I think its a great idea it should be a fair bit cheaper than a full fat one and you don't loose all that much realy that important.

E39 M5 & Corsa track
edde, wanted to keep it a 1600, its been bored to accept oversized pistons but standard stroke. brings it to just over 1600cc.

should be interesting to hear a 1.6 rev to 10.5k!