ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Differences Between 172 and 172 cup

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Go on Rhys, the gear change is worth it alone, you know you want to. I picked my brand spanking new CTR up today, its fantastic!

paul Im well tempted to get one! how it on insurance? iv just turned 24- 1 years n/claims and pay £1400 on my 02 172, Iv looked at the torque figers on it and its less than my 172 ? correct or what .. still like em anyways

Elise/VX220/R26

Can probably resolve this argument by saying that a Cup IS a 172 but with no ABS and no A/C rest of the stuff about race chassis etc is probably marketing spin.

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_CTR on 04 September 2003

Go on Rhys, the gear change is worth it alone, you know you want to. I picked my brand spanking new CTR up today, its fantastic!
It wont be until next year (just bought a 172 remember!), but both Ellen and myself drove it and were both hooked and want one.

And that gear change is stunning. It needs to be to keep it in the v-tec, but its just sooo short. Snick....snick.....snick.....yum.

What colour did you get? Got to be black or silver for me.

yep, as I said once before, Renault didnt order enough parts and have passed these cars off to the british telling us they ment to do it like that.

"give it a silly name, get rid of all that old blue paint we ordered too much of, then tell em its faster, the English are stupid they will buy it!!!" ;);)

(joke, I love the cup!)

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

I went for black! I think the engine is very torquey low down, I havent ventured beyond 4krpm yet though, but the VTEC is goading me on!

Cup is on a par with CTR as a driving machine, 172 is a bit woolly around the edges, Cup is 12Kish, 172 14Kish, CTR 15.5Kish. If youre strapped for cash and just like booting it everywhere get a Cup, if you want the best of both worlds go for a CTR. Simple. Fuel costs on a booted CTR will be a lot higher than that on a nailed Cup though.

Just my opinion!

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Cup-pa on 04 September 2003
Cup is on a par with CTR as a driving machine, 172 is a bit woolly around the edges, Cup is 12Kish, 172 14Kish, CTR 15.5Kish. If youre strapped for cash and just like booting it everywhere get a Cup, if you want the best of both worlds go for a CTR. Simple. Fuel costs on a booted CTR will be a lot higher than that on a nailed Cup though.Just my opinion!

Wooley round the edges? I just nipped out to check mine and theres definately no wool on it anywhere.

Elise/VX220/R26

ps a 172 is 12k ish. CTRs are about 14.5K and insurance is dearer so those are things to take into consideration.

Cup-pa was obviously talking "real-world new UK prices"; either way Jonnyboy, your pricing method would put a cup close reach of £10,000, so the umph-per-pound trophy still goes to the cup....

Well just be glad Guys and Gals that u live in a country where u have a choice!Down under in NZ we have only one and its called a Clio R S . Its got all the goodies that the 172 has but for some reason the kerb weight is only 1035?? Thats close to the Cup. I wonder if there are any other differences!

Well Jeremy. I have been to the NZ renault web site http://www.renault.co.nz/clio/technicalspecs.htmlhttp://www.renault.co.nz/clio/technicalspecs.html and the figures are the same as a spec sheet I have in my grubby little mits. That is 1035 kg. I wonder if the person who entered the data went to weight watchers and is used to telling porkies about their own weight? Actually I would be interested if any of u guys can see any other spec differences. The performance figures all seem to indicate its a rebadged 172 to me

dont miss the leather but the cup is better for track days, better turn in, no abs etc, wider track, lighter, better feel.

save the 1-2k and get a cup if ya just want the car. 10-11k for a newish cup.

good laugh, ok the colours a bit gay but hey.

t

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 05 September 2003

Jon - I think youll find your kerb weight is actually 1110kg
mine weighs in at 1057kg

ps. How did Renault manage to claim 1035kg? did they forget the engine or what?