ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

differences between 172 & cup

You can buy a CUP200 now! Check out LADs conversion in this months CCC! £14,445 - some dealer in England has it!

no one seems to rate this LAD business i dont know i once drove a LAD vts 160bhp dunno if it was though

There not official ren conversions though like TUV tested etc

Clio 197

Andysport wrote:

...give you more bhp and kept all the luxuries. thats what people want.

I dont want any of the luxuries. By lightening the car it is the same as giving more power. Even more because the braking and sornering are improved as well. I know that it is a seemingly tiny difference but every bit helps.

"Simplicate and add lightness" Mark Donohues recipe for a better car.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 11 April 2003

actually the windscreen is heat reflecting - at leras the setting on the heater conmtrol is there?
setting on the heater control ? the heat reflective is the coating added to the windscreen, thats why the is the bit cut out at the bottom in the middle for you to put things like GPSs and rader detectors.

I would go for a MK2 172 over a Cup. The difference in performance isnt great enough really. You probably wouldnt notice the difference after a few weeks. I dont know how much weight has been saved but im sure the weight of the driver may be a factor. Buy a 172 and go on the slimfast plan for a few months - then you have a cup with all the toys!:D

The 306 rallye isnt really seen as more of a "icon" than the 306GTi-6 and its the same idea. Just my uneducated opinion!;)

Quote: Originally posted by andysport on 11 April 2003

In my view I think the 172 cup looks cheap. once you have got used to the increased performance which isnt exactly mind blowly more (0.3 sec faster over 1/4 of mile - cup-14.8sec , 172-15.1sec) what have you got to fall back on. you got no luxuries that make the car stand out. what they should have done is give you more bhp and kept all the luxuries. thats what people want.
You 172 Boys dont half get all defensive when people praise the good points of the Cup. The Cheap comment made me laugh I must admit!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

EDDD WROTE: I dont want any of the luxuries. By lightening the car it is the same as giving more power. Even more because the braking and sornering are improved as well

MAKING THE CAR LIGHTER DOES NOT INCREASE THE BHP FIGURES THOUGH DOES IT, AND DONT CARS WITH ABS HAVE TO STOP QUICKER THAN A NON ABS BY LAW....OK SO IT TURNS IN A BIT QUICKER BUT IF I STICK CUP WHEELS ON A 172 THE TRACK WIDTH WILL BE THE SAME

i dont think it looks cheap just things like no ABS dont do it for me and the interior looks a bit nasty, but the blue rd the dash looks good.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I also dont think the cup looks cheap.. but I would never get one because I like my luxuries and the interior of the cup does look horrible... when I had the 1.2 dynamique with no climate control I was for ever trying to get the temp right.. its either too hot or too cold.. set the temp int the 172 and you get it perferct..

evertime I ask my passengers are you too hot/cold .. they always reply "just right actually"

Clio v6

"everytime I ask my passenger are you too hot/cold .. they always reply "Im just scared acutally"

I took Teady out in my car last night and his first comment was f**k this thing is quick... pulls like a train from 2 k where a 172 would get left behind... I.E when I raced Teady. I really dont know why everyone is fighting.. Cup and 172 are both very fast, handle like go karts and look nice. Cup slightly quicker, better handling but has got F.A inside it with sh*te seats... 172 slightly slower loads of kit that could match a luxury car and slightly less grip and more body roll.

Renault did produce some lagunas in Mondial Blue but stopped it as they only sold a phew.

I thought 172s only come in Silver:p (ducks ready for the flack)

I do like the 172s but i like to modify my cars so i got the cup, as i intended to rip out the seats etc which i have done.

The 172 may have all the toys but so does my company car, and i dont use my cup all the time so it was the best of the two for me.

Also the Cup is a 4 seater not a 5 as the centre seat belt has also been removed.

Clio 197

Chad,

On a circuit or stage even tiny differences in weight add up. You would be surprised at the difference. I speak from experience here. Removing the AC or PS makes a big fdifference.

I never said anything about it making more power. Where did you get that idea? I said that it acomplishes the same thing and as it works both ways, accerating and decellerating the benefit is twofold. Then when you add in the effects on lateral acceleration you will see that there are even more benefits gained.

In a one hour race, the difference is huge! Over a lap or two youd notice but it wouldn be quite so obvious.

A lighter car will always beat a heavier car, all other things being equal. That is why added weight is often used to even things out in the touring cars.

You could throw the cup wheels on a 172 but still would have to contend with more weight.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

fair enough eddd see what your sayin and if id have wanted a track car I may have had a cup cause I do like the colour but I just couldnt stand that back seat.....maybe ill strip out the xr2i instead of selling it and take that on the track

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

As the 172 was out b4 the cup there r those who wouldve opted for that "slightly" better performance, id still have my 172 as iv always had crap old cars and wouldnt want to lose the luxuries. And u can still tune it up anyhow as clio mods r improving slowly with turbos n tbs n stuff, iv got all the basic mods now the engines up for sum imminent fettling ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 11 April 2003

I took Teady out in my car last night and his first comment was f**k this thing is quick... pulls like a train from 2 k where a 172 would get left behind... I.E when I raced Teady. I really dont know why everyone is fighting.. Cup and 172 are both very fast, handle like go karts and look nice. Cup slightly quicker, better handling but has got F.A inside it with sh*te seats... 172 slightly slower loads of kit that could match a luxury car and slightly less grip and more body roll.
Yep , ok then.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by sjd172 on 11 April 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 11 April 2003

Yep , ok then.

Erm......

172 is made out of sticky back plastic, bog rolls and tin foil

cup is made out of lighter sticky back plastic, bog rolls and tin foil

:p

well they used to use old buscuit tins but apparently this sticky back plastic, bog roll, tin foil composite material is both stronger and lighter so the clever frenchies switched over ;)

pap, complete pap.

I come here for constructive information and all I ever here is the cups better than the 172, the mk1 is better than the mk2, the mk2 is better than the mk1.

Does nobody realise we all "clio" enthusiasts and that we should really be slating those rusty Fords or Vauxhalls !

I will become a member when this childish crap ends, untill then I wait and watch.

Blah, Blah, Blah.

:(

LOL, true mate........lots of inter clio rivalry......and TBH, i dont care.........

I have my MK1 XR2 which is better than all of yours! :p

And they rekcon that the Cup is basic ! ha these boys havent lived with the 80s Hot hatches !!!!!!!

Im old now (28) and need the comforts, however its nice to thrash a classic now and then, sometimes you even surprise the newuns !!!

That blus is the best for the mk1 xr2 imo, nice one, havent seen one in years !

CHeers sjd, yea, caspian blue is rare, and its got the rare storm interior, which i have gone and gotten a big fag burn on the rear bench..doh!

surpise the new ones!! lol

The Cooper S want too happy when i pulled way from the lights, a 3K steel crossflow and 40bhp worth of N20 will do that, not to mention 850KG.

172 man, sad part is.....i doubt youll beat my ol pepper pots round a track....oh well, that cossie saph and porsche didnt like it.