ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Different Suspension Setups on All Models

Clio 1.5 dci
Dropping my clio 60mm on springs do I need to change my dampers if so what's the cheapest and best options (mk2 ph2 dci)

Fletch

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
I dropped my ph2 dci down 40mm but it ended up looking more like 50-55 ish, and the ride is diabolical. I haven't changed the shocks and the springs are Apex, so I've kinda pissed on my own pudding there. My point being if you've got the cash for aftermarket shocks then personally I'd recommend going for my option of saving for a good set of coilovers. That was what pretty much everybody recommended to me, but I got impatient and skint so went for springs off a 172... :/

Anyway that's just me, if there's a full set of shortened shocks that's significantly cheaper than coils, I'm interested to find it myself.

dan's cast offs.
i'm gonna cut a few coils off my spring to lower the car so it drags the exhaust along the ground, seen them do it on chop shop on the telly so it's well safe, then about 4 degrees of camber on the front, maybe some 20" wheels with skinny tyres on for the 'euro' (or as i call it the crossply) look.

i was wondering though has anyone got any other ideas as to what i can do to make the car even more un-driveable:clown:

AB 182
DCi 40mm on Apex springs with standard wheels. Anthracite 172s to follow shortly!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413828688.534037.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413828707.469688.jpg

JMR

RB 182 Cup
182 Cup on standard Cup shocks and Cup springs
IMG_1091.gif

...and on Cooksport springs with standard Cup shocks
IMG_3319.gif

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Apologies for the dirty car on the Cooksports. I'll post up a better cleaner pic next weekend :blush:

Clio DCi 65
I need to know what the best spring/shock combo would be, looking for a drop of about 40mm so most springs do this, don't want coilovers as they make a very uncomfortable ride, I live out in the middle of no were so always going down bumpy country roads, I have been thinking about the sportlines. I have a DCi mk2 ph2 with mk3 black alloys on it.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Why is it that Renaultsport, with all their years of motorsport experience haven't thought to lower their road cars by 60 mm, I wonder(not)? They feel its only necessary to lower the 172 Cup by 3mm from the standard 172 ride height for beneficial handling improvement coupled with slightly wider front and and even slighter rear track increase so that the geometry remains sane but aggressive..

Listerine & Poledo
Why is it that Renaultsport, with all their years of motorsport experience haven't thought to lower their road cars by 60 mm, I wonder(not)? They feel its only necessary to lower the 172 Cup by 3mm from the standard 172 ride height for beneficial handling improvement coupled with slightly wider front and and even slighter rear track increase so that the geometry remains sane but aggressive..
Because they sell cars to all sorts of people. Such as those that like to be able to tackle crappy roads and speed bumps without ripping parts from under their car.
And if the car pulls itself apart on the road in a factory setup, there'll be all sorts of warranty claims to tackle. Besides, no matter what the manufacturer does, "entheusiasts" will always know better and want MOAR LOS!!!!
You also appear to be confuising "lowz" with "handling", these two are not always related.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Au contraire, I do not confuse ride height with handling, they are absolutely related. Roll centre height is rather influential on chassis dynamics, as is steering arm angle to the horizontal at rest.In additiona, MSA and FIA have minimum ground clearance rules for a reason.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Au contraire, I do not confuse ride height with handling, they are absolutely related. Roll centre height is rather influential on chassis dynamics, as is steering arm angle to the horizontal at rest.In additiona, MSA and FIA have minimum ground clearance rules for a reason.
And why some of us have bought the rollcentre correction kit...[emoji6]

Listerine & Poledo
As much as you speak the truth, taking Paddock Hill flat, and getting down a potholed B-road are two very different principles. Hence why Renaultsport ROAD VEHICLES aren't set-up like Cup Racers or FR3.5s
So, sure, run a 5mm ride height, just don't expect to have any lower bodywork left after 15 miles of UK roads.
Oh, and get BUPA in place for the chiropractic work

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Yes, all the above is obvious known stuff,but,what I am actually attemting to iterate to the less informed folk who lower their cars by 60 or even 100mm how badly they are ruining their cars roadholding and steering( and quite possibly overloading their steering ball joints or the mountings thereof)..

Listerine & Poledo
ahhhhhh!
sorry then, you actually seem to have a good idea of what you're on about...which is a rare thing on here

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
can't understand these 60, 80mm or more drops people claim here, I had mine lowered about 30mm (measured properly not by some manufacturer claim) on gaz coilovers and I was bottoming out on every small bump... have your cars measured, they are not that low as you might think! and that's a good thing! ;)
20-30mm is A LOT, more than this and you will be seeing some nasty driveshaft angles, roll centers all over the place, etc

Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Can people please post pictures of mk1 16v's with their suspension specs?
Want to see how the car looks with different ride heights