ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Different tyres front and rear axle

Basically I need some new fronts and I'm looking at getting a pair of Hankook v12s rather than spending double the money on a new set of Conti's.

Problem is the garage I usually use has the v12s in stock but only on a 91 y. I'm going to have these put on the rear axle but that means that I'll have 87 w's on the fronts and 91 y's on the rears - obviously they'll also be different brands as I've got Conti's all round atm.

May be daft but I feel a bit apprehensive about this - anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? Don't know whether I should be pushing for them to order some 87 w's in for me.

Cheers

172 cup, Impreza P1
As far as I know that is only for top speed rating so unless you plan on going to the salt flats of Utah you should be ok.

They also have a different load rating though....and the speed rating coupled with a different manufacturer will mean completely different compound.

Just want to make sure that handling won't be adversly affected really...

172 cup, Impreza P1
It won't be as good or predictable as if they matched all round so it depends how much you throw it about.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
dont worry about it, as long as the two fronts are the same throw any old odds and sods on the rear lol

ITB'd MK1
i had 4 different part worns on a 300bhp 200sx once. was surprisingly nimble, LOL. I wouldn't panic about it personally, it's nice to have matched axle pairs, but it's not dangerous not to.