ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ding Ding, Coilovers round 2

Lionel Richie
thumbs down from me, do not like AST's, out of the box they're miles off in terms of spring rate/damping, rears are fine, fronts no good

Lionel Richie
its a case of there's nothing else available in that price bracket so you have to buy them type affair

for racing - our Bilstein PSS10 (modified cup racer suspension basically) but its £2-£2.5K depending on options, that's cheap when you price up "proper" stuff from proflex, moton etc

track days - B14, H&R, KW

road - standard shocks with lowering springs

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My car's not a race car, never will be.

I just wanted something of good quality, makes the car sit nice, good back up service should something go wrong and can be adjusted if I want to go for a spirited drive.

Ive learnt my lession in buying the Spax kit so wont make the same mistake twice.

its a case of there's nothing else available in that price bracket so you have to buy them type affair

for racing - our Bilstein PSS10 (modified cup racer suspension basically) but its £2-£2.5K depending on options, that's cheap when you price up "proper" stuff from proflex, moton etc

track days - B14, H&R, KW

road - standard shocks with lowering springs

So would you spend £750 odd no those rather than £995 for the ASTs?

Lionel Richie
problem is its all down to "personal" choice just like tyres, but its a £1000 punt if you like them or not!

I don't, the fronts are about 25% too hard

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
thumbs down from me, do not like AST's, out of the box they're miles off in terms of spring rate/damping, rears are fine, fronts no good

In what way are they miles off Fred? Don't they now offer three different out of the box spring rate/shim options to suit a number of different applications? Failing that, don't they build & ship to whatever spec you want?

Do you get the same out of the box options with the likes of B14, H&R, KW? If these three suggestions are so capable out of the box, why is it that none of the guys are racing with them?

Playing devils advocate, it doesn't really seem a like for like criticism Fred.

:)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
AST are available with a much softer (250lb versus about 400lb people normally have IIRC but Im sure Josh can confirm exact figures) front setup if its for a mix of road and occasional trackday, so if you specify that at the time you order them, they should be fine out of the box for that use.
Most people though go for the trackday or race setup, which is much firmer and a bit too track focussed for a road car doing a lot of miles etc.

The customer service when you have a problem with them is ok, Josh/Curtis are good at sorting out rebuilds etc if required, the bad thing is just that these are made to order in the first place.
So essentially the opposite of the spax, in that these are hard to get hold of but fine to maintain after, where as the spax everyone has boxes of them in stock, but cant help much when they go wrong.

Josh runs cooksport part time, so has a lack of time to commit to getting back to people instantly etc, if you want that sort of service, pay 1400 quid and buy the AST from Kam racing, or if you can handle someone juggling about sorting them out a price that makes him naff all profit as he mentioned in the other thread but he does largely to help people out then pay far less from him but dont expect big business customer service as thats not what he is, he's just a racer using his influence to do people on here a favour with those is the impression I get.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks for your input chip, I do around 3k per year in my car.

I dont expect someone at the end of the phone to drop everything to sort my problem's out (hope I dont have any with the AST) but if there is a problem then I do want to be able for it to be addressed and not be given the run around.

Ill give him another call and put my questions to josh.

Do you think that the Sportline 2 are ott for a road car?

Lionel Richie
In what way are they miles off Fred? Don't they now offer three different out of the box spring rate/shim options to suit a number of different applications? Failing that, don't they build & ship to whatever spec you want?

Do you get the same out of the box options with the likes of B14, H&R, KW? If these three suggestions are so capable out of the box, why is it that none of the guys are racing with them?

Playing devils advocate, it doesn't really seem a like for like criticism Fred.

:)

did not know they offered 3 different options, its about bloody time!!

everyone is racing with AST's because they fit a semi sensible price/performance bracket, go and fit £5K's worth of Proflex and they'll be 3sec per lap quicker, but is that sensible for a club racer? No

Cup In bits
for racing - our Bilstein PSS10 (modified cup racer suspension basically) but its £2-£2.5K depending on options, that's cheap when you price up "proper" stuff from proflex,

Pity you don't offer them anymore, I spoke to Bilstein about making them for me but from what I could tell they wanted you to push them through manufacture again after Yozza seised trading.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for your input chip, I do around 3k per year in my car.

I dont expect someone at the end of the phone to drop everything to sort my problem's out (hope I dont have any with the AST) but if there is a problem then I do want to be able for it to be addressed and not be given the run around.

Ill give him another call and put my questions to josh.

Do you think that the Sportline 2 are ott for a road car?

I think the sportline 2 are only worth it over the 1 if you are racing probably mate, the difference is pretty marginal in performance its more about unspring weight and even then its not a huge difference, you'd gain far more with lighter wheels etc.

I think the sportline 2 are only worth it over the 1 if you are racing probably mate, the difference is pretty marginal in performance its more about unspring weight and even then its not a huge difference, you'd gain far more with lighter wheels etc.

Thanks for that mate, just answered the exact question I asked Josh!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What kit have you got, chip?

Sorry mate, missed this question.

AST Sportline 1 Ive just bought secondhand from Kelv, they were great on his car but havent tried them on the turbo yet, might put them on the mrs daily though as we have a trackday in a few weeks and I fancy giving them a try out and its a pretty quick job to swap over.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for that mate, just answered the exact question I asked Josh!

Well if he gives you a different answer, take more notice of him than me, he's the racer, im just a trackday queen, lol.

Im sure he can spot subtle differences in handling that I cant!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
did not know they offered 3 different options, its about bloody time!!

everyone is racing with AST's because they fit a semi sensible price/performance bracket, go and fit £5K's worth of Proflex and they'll be 3sec per lap quicker, but is that sensible for a club racer? No

Absolutely, for what you get for the money it seems to tick the box for the club guys. The modularity on the ASTs gives the option to retrofit their external canisters to make them 3-way at a later date aswell.

Noticed the guy with the nippy red Saxo (Wood/Ward?) in the French Trophy at Oulton was running the external reservoirs on his sportline 2 the other week.

Cup In bits
They just wanted you's (still thought Yozzasport was trading at that point) to be the one that pushed the kit, maybe that was their reasoning.

They were a bit useless to me in that case but they put me onto Ohlins who have 2 or 3 way inserts that slot straight into billie casings.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thats not good.

Mines on axel stands with the rear beam still at the powder coaters.
Im in no rush as i wont be driving it in the winter months.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I'm very happy I've finally got them and the quality Is very good. I've just got to get them fitted with some other up grades I've got (cup wish bones/182 roll bar and hopefully the roll centre group buy) can't wait sould be a great set up. Just got to get the car back from the garage as I've had a bit of a saga with M.O.T and hand brake cables :(

If you don't mind waiting go for it.

Sorry, Not to sure how to post pics as I'm on phone.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff, I'm thinking of getting a set also. Did you get top mounts too? I've already got the PMS kit, so wouldn't want the holes I've had to drill be on show.