ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disaster :(

RS 182
So was accelerating down a slip road earlier approaching the motorway, hit just over 5k revs and the engine died.. I was going at enough speed to enter the motorway and free-roll to the closest lay-by. Opened the bonnet to find that the alternator belt was gone! Now i know my tensioner has been starting to seize up, as the steering has been heavy a couple of times, and it takes a slight knock on the tensioner with an object for it to tighten back up, so i reckon this time, its seized at the point where the belt has been loose enough to come free!
now my worry is - with the alternator belt coming off at speed, and the engine cutting out, has it possibly chucked the timing belt aswell?
i managed to get it recovered, and i'm getting a few mechanics at my work to have a look at it tomorrow..

p.s. i didn't know where to look for the timing belt, so i couldn't tell you if it was still there or not!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah if the engine cut out straight away like that then yes. An engine can run for short periods without an aux belt so wouldnt have died instantly.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Have you tried to restart it? Does it run (in amy fashion) or does it sound like there's a general loss of compression?

RS 182
I didn't want to try and start it incase i done anymore damage, but a mechanic told me over the phone to try it anyway, so when i turned the key, it just sounded like the starter motor was turning, but nothing else was happening :(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sounds like lack of compression then... valves went kerazzy ass on the pistons and got b**ch smacked hard.

Head off, new valves and possibly guides to followed by new belts (or replace engine and get belts done on that).

Mick

RB 200
So was accelerating down a slip road earlier approaching the motorway, hit just over 5k revs and the engine died.. I was going at enough speed to enter the motorway and free-roll to the closest lay-by. Opened the bonnet to find that the alternator belt was gone! Now i know my tensioner has been starting to seize up, as the steering has been heavy a couple of times, and it takes a slight knock on the tensioner with an object for it to tighten back up, so i reckon this time, its seized at the point where the belt has been loose enough to come free! now my worry is - with the alternator belt coming off at speed, and the engine cutting out, has it possibly chucked the timing belt aswell? i managed to get it recovered, and i'm getting a few mechanics at my work to have a look at it tomorrow.. p.s. i didn't know where to look for the timing belt, so i couldn't tell you if it was still there or not!

​see Adam and get a proper one, look in traders.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Do a compresion test first just to make sure. It would have made a fairly loud bang if the valves hit the piston... it could be that the belt came off a while ago but now the battery is flat so engine cut out. (Not sure if you used jump leads when you tried to start it)

RS 182
Bad news, but I can't believe you were still driving it with a buggered tensioner that you had to smack back into place:S.
Yeah i know, same old 'i'll need to get that sorted' type thing, that i never actually got round to doing.. Look what its cost me now...
​silly silly silly

RS 182
Do a compresion test first just to make sure. It would have made a fairly loud bang if the valves hit the piston... it could be that the belt came off a while ago but now the battery is flat so engine cut out. (Not sure if you used jump leads when you tried to start it)
this crossed my mind.. What if the belt had came off 5minutes before it engine cut out? Was that it eventually running out of juice?

although i think i'm clutching at straws here, it was a pretty abrupt loss of power (dont remember any banging or knocking) but my window was open so could harldy hear a thing :(