ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

discs, pads and braided hoses

clio sport 182
im at the stage where i need to replace my front brake pads and after having brake faid a couple of times (nearly causing me to poop) ive decided to upgrade the discs and pads.

i went into demon tweeks yesterday and they told me that the standard pad on the 182 is the same as green stuff so upgrade to red stuff and ebc dimpled and grooved discs, both on the shelf at £195 for the front kit.

i looked on the net and this was the cheapest price which suprised me but looking today i have found mintex front and rear pads with dimple/groove discs for £140.

does anyone have any previous experiance in relation to good or bad brakes and also braided hoses are only about £60 so seem worth it but what are they like to fit?

cheers.

ITB'd MK1
do not under any circumstances fit EBC disks or pads, no matter what colour they've sprayed them. Aweful.

Plain disks (no dimples, no grooves, no cross drilling) and some decent pads, with braided lines is all you need. Pad choice is personal, but I would always spend more on pads than disks, personally the mintex 1144 pads are what i recommend for fast road at £89.99 a set, and plain disks are £65

ITB'd MK1
do not under any circumstances fit EBC disks or pads, no matter what colour they've sprayed them. Aweful.

Plain disks (no dimples, no grooves, no cross drilling) and some decent pads, with braided lines is all you need. Pad choice is personal, but I would always spend more on pads than disks, personally the mintex 1144 pads are what i recommend for fast road at £89.99 a set, and plain disks are £65

Stripped yozza'd cup
There's been a million threads about this.

Brembo HC disks
Ferrodo DS2500 pads
Braided lines
Decent fluid

Job done.

ITB'd MK1
There's been a million threads about this.

Brembo HC disks
Ferrodo DS2500 pads
Braided lines
Decent fluid

Job done.

there has, but mostly it's down to 5th hand opinions. I find DS2500's give a very wooden pedal feel, despite the fact they do work well. Disk brand makes very little difference as long as they're not too soft (like EBC which are like cheese)

clio sport 182
it seem that you have had a bad previous experiance.
the discs on my car are not that old but as i said the pads need replacing and thought discs would be better aswell to get rid of the heat quickly.
what are the braided houses like to fit?

Stripped yozza'd cup
there has, but mostly it's down to 5th hand opinions. I find DS2500's give a very wooden pedal feel, despite the fact they do work well. Disk brand makes very little difference as long as they're not too soft (like EBC which are like cheese)

Very true, but I have all of the above, except I've got some Mintex disks because I got them for pennies. The Brembo just offers very very good value, especially at the prices that a few folks on here offer them at!

This setup has been excellent for me, even on track I didn't get any fade at all, just removed the arch liners and fog lights for a bit of air flow.

I really like the feel of the ferrodo pads too, especially with the braided lines. Positive, but without being too aggressive.

Seat Ibiza
What are these Mintex 1144 pads like that you speak of? They good?
What about Brembo pads aswel as the HC discs, they make a good match?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I need to get rid of the brakes the previous owner of my car has fitted. They have been painted bright yellow and fitted dimpled and grooved discs. They need changing quick time. I too am looking at new discs and some braided hoses with some decent brake fluid. From reading this thread I know that brembos are the discs to have bit which braided hoses would you recommend ?

Westy. MX5
I'll have to agree with Danny, DS pads are wooden until they get really hot. Unless you are doing trackdays regularly then OE, Mintex or Pagid pads are the ones to have.

clio sport 182
all the hoses i have seen on the internet are about £60 and all different makes.
and it seems that the most expensive pads are not the best so thanks for the info on that area.
what are the hoses like to fit tho?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Love my DS2500's paired with Brembo HC's.

I find them very predictable with decent feel and stopping power, they did take a little getting used to as they are very 'on or off' with very little in-between.

06 Liquid yellow 182
i'm just after a track day yesterday and after 1 session the brake pedal hit the floor, hadnt had time this last while to change the brake hoses but i learnt my lesson.. its a must! anyone recommend any particlar type?

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
as long as you avoid goodridge with mild steel fittings

Well even then I've never had an issue with them rusting significantly on my own cars, but as soon as that protective zinc coating is damaged it certainly will rust.
They do a stainless version, but then HEL Braided hoses are completely stainless so you cannot get mixed up when ordering.

06 Liquid yellow 182
Well even then I've never had an issue with them rusting significantly on my own cars, but as soon as that protective zinc coating is damaged it certainly will rust.
They do a stainless version, but then HEL Braided hoses are completely stainless so you cannot get mixed up when ordering.

Those look to be what i need too, have you got those in stock?

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Not got them in stock. We have been trying to run down stock as we move to a new unit in a few days time. Takes about 3 days to be manufactured by HEL.

ITB'd MK1
What are these Mintex 1144 pads like that you speak of? They good?
What about Brembo pads aswell as the HC discs, they make a good match?

I like 1144 for a road car, they're a little bit borderline for track if you're heavy on the brakes, but i've done a full snetterton day with them. 1155 are better for track, I know of people have switched to them for track mk1's now and they're all happy.

Brembo pads tend to be rebranded standard ferodos

172 Cup
they "feel" like standard pads, pagid blues are "wooden" feeling IMO, you really have to stand on them

I'll second this, our kid has pagid blue's on his trophy with HC's, braided lines and motul fluid and you really do have to slam your foot on the anchors to get them to work

182 ff cup packs
they "feel" like standard pads, pagid blues are "wooden" feeling IMO, you really have to stand on them

had pagid blues on my 182 4 a long time now....they hav more initial bit in the winter than standard pads an wen they warm they r by far the best iv used.....wil neva use anythin else in my clio...........jus make sure 2 bed in properly ..........

182 ff cup packs
mine genuinly hav more bite than standard pads even in the winter we jus had...... they r fine wen hot tho lol..... massive bite,but controlable an good feel.......