ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disk Grooving Service

Up rocks
What would people be willing to pay for having grooves machined in to their disks? Another forum i'm on has suggested that £25/30 per disk is the norm if you take your disks to an engineering place, thats assuming they have the know how to write what is quite a complex CNC program and are willing to do it. I don't now what the going rate is as i've always done my own. Heres one i did for my Ibiza Cupra....

Front Face (ellipitical groove, 1 continuous line)
DSC00211-Copy.gif

Rear Face (ellipitical groove, 1 continuous line)
DSC00212-Copy.gif

I've wriiten a CNC program for the 280mm front disks i have on my Cup, i'm assuming that 172/182's all have 280mm disks?

I could maybe offer a disk grooving service if there is interested on the basis that the disks (new) are posted to me if there would be any interest?

Last edited:
It was £25 a disc when I asked about groving the rears to match my front AP Racing discs but they couldnt get them on the machine with the ABS ring so I said dont bother.

I know its not worth it at all but do you have a way to do the rear discs?

Up rocks
It was £25 a disc when I asked about groving the rears to match my front AP Racing discs but they couldnt get them on the machine with the ABS ring so I said dont bother.

I know its not worth it at all but do you have a way to do the rear discs?

Cheers for the info, i'll have a look at the rears, i know i have the tooling to get in there and do it but its the programming that would take a serious amount of time as theres no straight lines, its all curves and being one continuous line means that i cant edit my existing programs so would have to write a new one cpmlpletely. I would say that if there was interest for a few sets of rears (all being the same size) it could be looked at but i'd rather fire off some fronts first and see what people think.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't want to piss on your chips , and you might be onto a good idea . But imo i reckon only a very very small amount of people would be interested in getting their discs grooved .

People who want grooved discs usually buy them already with the grooves in .

I hope i'm wrong and you generate some business , but i think the time and effort your gonna have to put in to program the milling machine won't be worth it in the long run tbh .

Up rocks
True, but i can groove any discs, such as ones that dont come with groves as standard. Now that the program is written it takes me 5 mins to set the machine as its only one tool needed.

Last edited:
  RB 182
Is this the only difference between the Brembo High Carbon and Brembo Max?

Are discs normally heat treated? If so, will milling cause any stress fracture?

Have you milled the faces too? Looks tidy I must admit :)

Up rocks
Using a 3mm ball ended cutter so theres no sharp angles in the grooves to cause stress fractures. (i work for a high profile company that does alot of work for Maclaren F1 engines so know how to avoid stress fractures). The discs above were Brembos IIRC and no i didnt face them over all i did was add the grooves. Been running my 'own' grooved disks for ages and never had a problem with them. Grooving helps dissipate heat, water and brake dust and helps prevent the disk from warping too :)

Up rocks
As far as i'm aware normal brake disks are not heat treated. IIRC only high spec racing disks are treated. (the type you find on full on race cars) I think if road cars disks were treated then your pads would wear away rather quick.

it looks good and for my next brakes i'd be interested yes, but sorry to be a let down and lack of knowledge on this one... is it safe? wot are the pro's and con's if u dont mind me asking.

i dont want these on (cosmetically they'd look brilliant, given) then go on track and my disks fall to bits

just wondering :)

No harm at all in doin this if done correctly as mentioned with a ball ended cutter. Looks good to me (manufacturing/mechanical engineer). Far better than drilling them..

Wont do much for cooling, but for clearing the pad/disc contact patch from dust and gasses generated from braking..

The disc will self harden with the amount of heat cycles that go through them. - Warping rarely accurs even in hard use conditions if the disc is heated up/cooled gradually and while the car is moving.

The discs only tend to warp if cooled very quickly, or if you stop with HOT brakes, and they dont cool down uniformally, i.e the hot pads keeping heat in that part of the disc.

Price seems good too.. Kudos to you sir..!

BMW 320d SE
I used to have discs like that on my old 306 XSi - they were called ATE Power Discs, from Euro Car Parts. Good effort though :)

Up rocks
Thanks for the good words Henry, i based my design on ATE power disks actually :)

Fred, any reason why you prefer the straight grooves? As if popular i could well knock up a program tp do that too. (nice simple program that one) :)

Are all Clio RS disks 280mm?

Last edited:
  RB 182
I would think that the straight grooves going to the outside would get wrid of any filth that might build up? The continuous wouldn't do anything?

Up rocks
I would think that the straight grooves going to the outside would get wrid of any filth that might build up? The continuous wouldn't do anything?

True, i prefer the eliptical grooves as you dont get any vibration through the brake pedal and they seem to wear the pads less than with straight grooves. (plus i had ATE power disks on my Cupra and liked them so based my design on them) But if thats what people want i'm sure i can do it at some point.

Lionel Richie
yeah exactly the reason, with straight or slightly curved grooves the braking material it expelled away from the disc, with the "ATE" style i could see problems with material build up, but i've never used them so can't fairly comment

all RS discs are 280mm

Up rocks
yeah exactly the reason, with straight or slightly curved grooves the braking material it expelled away from the disc, with the "ATE" style i could see problems with material build up, but i've never used them so can't fairly comment

all RS discs are 280mm

Cheers Fred, i'll write a program next week for straight grooves so after that i'll be offering a choice and get an official thread in 'For Sale' or something :)

custom designs? or is that stupidly hard/stupidly awkward/expensive?

sorry for 20 questions, its just new to me doin aftrmarket work to disks

Up rocks
custom designs? or is that stupidly hard/stupidly awkward/expensive?

sorry for 20 questions, its just new to me doin aftrmarket work to disks

Depends what you want but yeah programming takes alot of time so for one offs or small batches it just isnt worth it to be honest. If it was a design that other people would be interested too then it may be do able. As its early days though i'd like to stick to simple designs to get things going. :cool: