ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dismantling 182 headlights?

hi guys maybe a stupid question but is there anyway of taking apart standard 182 headlights? as in removing the plastic front cover from the backing, as done when de-tangoeing fiesta zetec s's? cheers!

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
This again? Missions if it's just to change the colour of the surround or something.

This is how I dismantled mine :eek:

IMG_0799.jpg

320d
They're a sealed unit so personally i would try to break the factory seal

De-tangoing it simply a bulb change no inner lenses need altering

b/g 182, meg tourer
if you are just trying to get rid of the orange glow, just fit silvervisions! no need to take the whole light to bits!

White Sti Hatch
Theres only Clips and some sealant holding the lenses on or thats what it is on mine so a lil bit of heat will release them !

Black Gold Trophy
Did anyone manage to get anywhere with this?
The clio headlamps are a f*cking w@nk design to say the least, I'm so annoyed with them I feel like smashing the f*cking things to pieces!
Mine have come off the ball joint in the middle which allows them to angle up and down for adjustment, and theres no way of putting it back on without taking them apart!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Did anyone manage to get anywhere with this?
The clio headlamps are a f*cking w@nk design to say the least, I'm so annoyed with them I feel like smashing the f*cking things to pieces!
Mine have come off the ball joint in the middle which allows them to angle up and down for adjustment, and theres no way of putting it back on without taking them apart!

PM on its way!

They're a sealed unit so personally i would try to break the factory seal

De-tangoing it simply a bulb change no inner lenses need altering

on a fiesta zetec s de-tangoing does involve taking the headlight apart and removing the orange lens!

something you could try is putting them in the oven for 15 minutes! this is how some do it with the saxos

cheers

Black Gold Trophy
I've looked into it further, apparently the best way is to put them in a preheated 200 degree oven for 10 minutes, I'll let you know how I get on. *awaiting a melted headlamp*

clio 182
heat gun/ hair dryer ftw!!! i done my mk6 fiesta lights and never had a problem... i will do mine when i get my car back.
fiesta-1.jpg

fiesta.jpg

damm i miss that car:eek:

Last edited:
  ?
my dad dismantled my clio headlights on the old car, using a heat gun and some other tools. cant remember exactly how but he managed to take them apart fully, fix the broken light adjustment system and then put it all back together in an hour or so :)

C

Cupster

Festa Zetec S lights were easy as the sealant was like rubber so you could cut it with a stanley blade flick off the four clips and then it would seal nicely together again. I was the first of that I saw on ZSOC to paint the surrounds black. Big improvement.

?
Think my dad just used a stanley/heat gun and removed them like that. i remember him saying the glue holding them together was a reeet b*****d

Black Gold Trophy
Ok guys little update for you.
I have tried putting a clio mk2 ph2 headlamp in an oven to try and take them apart.
I heated it for 10 minutes at 200 degrees F and it still did not come apart. Myself and a mate worked at it for about 3 hours yesterday and had no luck at all!

Just as an experiment to determine the temperature at which the sealant would melt, we cut a piece of the sealant off the headlamp and put it in the oven at 250 degrees C (pretty f***ing hot!) and it still did not melt, in fact the materials properties did not change at all!
The black plastic on the back of the headlamp will go soft before the actual sealant does.