ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diy Guide to lowering-To all members...

hi there..i cant get the D.i.y guide on how to lower a clio 98>on..and i cant sign up cud anyone please paste me it in an email at fabio372@Hotmail.com or pm me the link. im really desperate for it and stuck....had the springs for 3 week now with no idea how to fit them my self

Real easy to fit them get a Haynes manula an just follow he instuctions.
Or there are a load of members on here who will do it for £40 where abouts are you.
Cannot help sending you the guide though Ive left my username a home so cannot get on myself.

Fronts:

Loosen the strut tops 1st (If you cannot do this get a garage to crack them off with a impact gun and then to tighten them up finger tight)

Loosen all wheel nuts

Jack up front of car and remove both front wheels

Behinde the wheels you will see 2 x 19mm nuts and bolts holding the bottom of the suspension strut to the wheel hub, remove these 4 bolts

Finish undoing the strut tops and they should just fall out.

Replace with new shocks in reverse order

Now for the rears:

Open your boot and loosen the tops of the rear struts

Jack up rear of car and remove both wheels

If you have a spare jack place it under brake disc

Lay under rear bumper and look at swing arm, you will notice 1 x bolt each side going through rear strut and into swingarm. Remove this bolt and your rear strut should just fall out, repeat for the other side with the jack still under the brake disc

Gently lower the swing arm via the jack until you can pull springs out

Replace in reverse order and your done fella.

Not the official guide by Smokeys guide to shocks & springs:D

Saved me typing that all up again. Why take the rear wheels off though? i never did.

YOU DO NOT NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR FOR 172/182s!!!

Just so these boys know ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I did the orginal guide with ivan, it was the first time we had done it.

the compressor thing was just us being over cautious

lol, you can also use a socket with a hex where it pushes onto the ratchet and a regular spanner if you cant find a swan neck but a swan neck is better as you say.

Grubby b*****d i take it thats the hybrid ;)

Tom i suppose i should say NON RS(172/182) CLIOS DO NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR. Before someone tries to do a dynamique and ends up with a trip to casualty with a spring stuck in their face.

Mazda MX5 1.8

yeeeeeeees i very stupidly did my top strut mounts up real tight with stud lock in them and now........ no frickin chance i can undo them lol whoops

Yeah it will no bother.

Oh theres no need to use loctite next time as they always seem to work tighter rather then looser lol

Mazda MX5 1.8

yeah ive got that idea now lol

dont particually need them off at the mo but would be nice to have them off for a clean + checkup