ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do Apple p/x laptops?!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I bought a MBA direct from Apple just before Christmas, 13" with 128gb HD.
Noticed yesterday I've filled up over 120gb so I'm getting close to the limit!

I know on their site they sell second hand ones, so could I px it with them against a 15" MBP?

I don't want to run with an external HD, and obviously being the Air I cannot upgrade anything internally.

Or does anyone have an idea on how much it's worth?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
They sell refurbished returns. They don't sell 'second hand goods' as such...

Surely someone, even apple, will upgrade the HDD for you ?! It can't possibly be soldered to the MB :S Can it...?

No. They don't.

You can upgrade the HD. Well, not you. But someone clever.

Or here's a crazy idea. Delete stuff?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Revels, I only have about 4gb of personal stuff, the rest is all work related and needed.

Chappers, all bar the Air from what I can tell, otherwise it's made bigger thus taking away the appeal.

I'm pretty sure they make all computers user upgradable, there's a guide for changing RAM and the HD on the Apple website.

MBA is a bit different, as it doesn't use a regular HDD form factor. The modules are attached directly to the motherboard. Or something.

Revels Mum & Sister
Not sure if this is your model but it is a Mid 2011 model with an SSD so I am guessing it will be the same or similar

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2011-Solid-State-Drive/6371/1

Main cost will be the SSD and it doesnt look like a normal solid state drive either which probably means ££££ Your probably better selling and buying a newer one with larger capacity.

Although 110GB+ of stuff for work stored on your laptop. Seems rather a lot and is this backed up at all? If not your playing with fire. Why not back it all up and only take what you will need. I cannot believe you need 110GB of Work data all the time.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Thanks kids.

Rasclart, according to the laptop 80GB is 'other files' which i'm assuming is a combination of Using parallels to run windows XP, then all of my CAD and design programs along side my machining tool path programs. Then there's all of my CAD files themselves, both 2D and 3D.

Then all business information etc etc, so soon adds up.

I think I know where I went wrong, previously I had a home laptop for bits of music and videos, work laptop 1 for 2D, and work laptop 2 for 3D. Thought a macbook would combine all together nicely but obviously should have looked a bit more into what memory was used up on each one, school boy error on my part. Although I did think I had bought the top spec 256gb one at the time.

Looks like the best thing to do it sell it after buying a Pro. Unsure wether to go for a 13" and upgrade the RAM etc, then buy a thunderbolt screen for the office which was my plan with the air, or just go balls out and get the 17" daddy instead....

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
do you have an iPhone/ipad that you sync to it? I deleted some old back ups of my iPhone. Saved over 25gb. srs.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Do have an iPhone yes....where a bouts are the backups stored?