ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do i need an amp

V70 d5 beast

hi ive just fitted 4 new spreakers to my doors, they are sony xpod ones 150w each,

im leaving the standard tweeters in there and ive also got 2 jvc 6x9s in the parcel shelf with 360w each,

just wondering could or would i need an amp to power all the 6 speakers? and what amp would be best, as ive got 4x150w speakers, 2x 360w 6x9s?

as they sound alright at the moment but when the volume is turned up more and the bass is full it distourts alot?

or would i need to get a new headunit(ive only got the standard one in there at the moment?)

2005 Impreza WRX STI

aftermarket head unit will be better. they have decent amps built in to run your door speakers. personally id run the 6x9 off an amp but get a sub too! i

V70 d5 beast

so just run the 6x9 off an amp, what about connecting the amp to the other speakers or will the new headunit do that?

so my 6x9s are 360w each so 720watts so what amp could i got for? as im not sure on the 2/3 chanel stuff all i know is their 4 ohms and 360watts lol

where would be a good place to mount the amp im thinking between my 6x9s in the parcel shelf?

i would like to get an alpine head unit but their so expensive?

and why get a sub?

[Edited by Simf40 on 30 July 2005 at 9:46pm]

Elise/VX220/R26

Head unit should run 4 speakers a lot better than a standard head unit, youll also get better sound quality. Deffo go for a sub it rounds off the sound and car acoustics really suit having lots of bass (although you dont need anything more than a single 12") If you have a sub and good front speakers you wont really need the 6x9s but as clarkie says run them off the amp too if you keep them.

My old 172 got a sorted stereo upgrade for £400. This was a pioneer mp3 head unit, kenwood speakers in the front and a 300w amp and single 12" kenwood sub in the boot. Sounded really well. Obviously not going to brake any windows with that sort of power but it was more than enough for my taste

One with a few more

The best idea in all cases is a seperate amp. All on board headunit amps have appaling output and SQ. Though a new h/u will mean you get RCAs for amps

V70 d5 beast

okay so what sort of amp to go for my 6x9s then? as their 360watts each?

ive got good enough speakers all round 150watts each lol

ive seen this nice head unit not breaking the budget but it looks ok, http://www.dcdezign.com/details.asp?item=cdxca600&vehicle_ref=&title=+cd+headunit+cdxca600http://www.dcdezign.com/details.asp?item=cdxca600&vehicle_ref=&title=+cd+headunit+cdxca600##

i dont really wanna spend alot on a headunit someting around £130 thats it, im gonna keep to sony or jvc as thats my speakers are so just keeping the 2 brand names in the car not mix and matching.

would mounting the amp on my parcel shelf be ok? underneith or ontop?

i may go for another amp and a single 12" sub but not yet sorting this out first?

Quote: i dont really wanna spend alot on a headunit someting around £130 thats it

I think ideally the headunit should be the most expensive part of your setup, after all, it is the brains of the operation!

Quote: m gonna keep to sony or jvc as thats my speakers are so just keeping the 2 brand names in the car not mix and matching.

I dont really see the logic in that, theres nothing wrong with mixing n matching

Quote: would mounting the amp on my parcel shelf be ok? underneith or ontop?

amps can be quite heavy, and since you have 6x9s on there already, unless your parecl shelf is proper mdf i dont think the standard bendy renualt one will take the weight! and i certainly wouldnt mount an amp "on top" of the shelf so it is on display for everyone to see! dont want any nasty people smashing your windows and ripping your amp out do you? best keep it all hidden imo (unless you working on some kind of show car project)

Quote: may go for another amp and a single 12" sub but not yet sorting this out first?

this is purely just my opinion, but I think the best basic setup for a small car like the clio is ampd components up front, nothing in the middle, and a nicely ampd sub in the boot

I really dont think you would need 6x9s AND a sub, thats just silly and would sound crap, its one or the other, and preferably the sub if you want good sound quality and tidy bass! altho it all boils down to your budget and how far you want to take things

I take it those are the peak power figures you are quoting for your speakers? you will need to find out the rms outputs of each and then match your amp to the rms of the 6x9s, the headunit should be adequate for the 4 car speakers you have, but that one you are showing us doesnt look like an mp3 player??? your budget of £130 would enable you to get an entry level sony mp3 headunit, just another feature you may want to consider :)

V70 d5 beast

thanks im gonna have a look at halfords today to see what amps i can find, and just looking at a headunit,

do i need a headunit with mp3? i just want something good enough for sound lol ive seen a few kenwoods i like, does it make a difference if you have 4x45watts or 4x50watts? is there much difference?

what headunits would you guys recomend? i like alpine but only a few fit the budget.

i will keep the amp hidden in the boot, not going on the parcel shelf now,

im thinking about a sub later on but for now its just the uprated speakers and the 6x9s,

just thought i would say im a complete novice about ICE i know engines as i work at a renault garage but havent gotta clue on the ICE stuff.

any help would be greatfull thanks