ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do induction kits work?

Clio 1.2 8v (2002)
Hi. I've got a clio 1.2 8v (2002) and am considering fitting an induction kit. However, I've heard that they don't actually increase the performance, only in the noise when revving. Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice if whether or not it's worth it, and if so which would be the best one to go for? Cheers!

Very little gains if any at all on a standard engine. You need further mod's to benefit from a better induction kit. It will make the car sound better...that's about it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it depends on the kit, ive got freds old relocated one and it makes the car more responsive, it revs a lot easyer and sounds good on full throttle i would say it did give the engine a slight bit more power arround 3000-5000rpm but that could be the noise giving me that impression lol

Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
on smaller engines, don't they improve throttle response?

I had a k&n on my mk1 1.2 and the throttle response was ALOT better with it on. not necessarilly more powerful tho.

Clio 1.2 16 - 2003
My induction kit made the throttle a tad more responsive, but i think you need to get the relocation pipe so you can get a good feed to it,

Generally if your looking for preformance upgrades with your 1.2 then you may aswell sell up and buy something quicker. The induction kit will make very little to no changes in your preformance, as will anything else.

It will create a nice sound though around 3k rev mark, and make it sound like your going a bit quicker lol

Megane Trophy
martin - suspension and brakes are the 2 things that make a car faster

induction kits will give better throttle response, if its an open cone heatsoak in the summer will make it worse, flat spots etc etc

panel filter is the way forward

R35 GTR
bradfincham said:
martin - suspension and brakes are the 2 things that make a car faster

induction kits will give better throttle response, if its an open cone heatsoak in the summer will make it worse, flat spots etc etc

panel filter is the way forward

how the hell do brakes make a car faster?

R35 GTR
Induction kit will have limited effect without a remap, as the engine will be running lean in places. Its all i have on my car at the moment , and its quicker than the 172 cup I met the other day.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Dave3141 said:
Induction kit will have limited effect without a remap, as the engine will be running lean in places. Its all i have on my car at the moment , and its quicker than the 172 cup I met the other day.

yours a full fat?

Megane Trophy
Yes I am talking about the braking points etc, assume its for track as most people treat the roads like that these days!

especially at 2am on a summers night

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
This isnt at all a b**ch or a troll or a stab, but I dont see the point in saying "My 172 is quicker than a 172cup that I met the other day" because you dont know a tonne of variables.

Weight being teh most obvious. Full/empty fuel tank... thats 40kg right there, Could be carrying an anvel in his boot too...

As I say, not at all a jab, just an observation :)

I am on the "IK kits rock" bandwagon. On the Mk1 1.4 (B/C 57 chasis) the exhaust manifold cover feeds HOT HOT HOT air into the airbox... replacing that with ANYTHING couldn't possibly make it slower.

-Akira

juelz said:
Hi. I've got a clio 1.2 8v (2002) and am considering fitting an induction kit. However, I've heard that they don't actually increase the performance, only in the noise when revving. Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice if whether or not it's worth it, and if so which would be the best one to go for? Cheers!

Are you the chap that asked me the question on my ebay auction?

As i said there you will notice a slight improvement on your 8v engine as the filter get relocated off the the side - compare this with the std airbox sitting on top of the exhaust manifold and you'll be getting more cool air to the engine with the IK...cooler air is denser therefore more power.

Obviously its not going to turn the car in a Ferrari but it'll give a performance improvement.

4 hours to go matey... ;-p

R35 GTR
I am just saying I am happy with it, because I killed the cup, not saying its faster than all of them.

Why do we make our cars faster? Reason is when we come up against another car we want to go faster.

I never have more than half a tank of fuel as well.

I got resistor coming from ebay soon that will give me an extra 100bhp, i can take on the big boys in the V6 then:clown::D:rasp:

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I have been testing a Kit for one of our suppliers now since november.

I am not overly impressed by the claims that alot of companys make, been in the trade i decided to try one myself.

The results on my Trophy are as follows.

From a standstill pulling away from junctions etc the car seems to stall slightly.
Mid range the power band is as before.
Top end the car seems to struggle.

I went to have the car RR the other week by a customer of ours, with the car fitted with the IK it lost 4BHP compared to the same car on the same day running a K&N Panel filter.

My opions on IK are they are great if you want the nosie, is you want perofrmance, you have two options.

1 Upgrade the panel filter to a K&N or similar make.
2 Purchase a BMC or Viper alternative.

I personally will be sticking with the Panel filter.

SLK 350
Panel filter is the way to go, no doubt about it. Just modify the airbox to accomodate an addition air feed from behind your grill if you want more cold air.

IK all bark...no bite!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
my ik works...i got it off ebay...its a halfords type chepo one, but still works. improoves responce, and power when going up hills (when throtle is fully open) but i do have decat/exhaust also....

Clio 172 mk2
ozzyo99 said:
Panel filter is the way to go, no doubt about it. Just modify the airbox to accomodate an addition air feed from behind your grill if you want more cold air.

IK all bark...no bite!

Have to agree

Mégane RS
on a RR the car isnt actually getting any airflow from say if you were actually going 60mph

VaVa
Vinnyc19 said:
on a RR the car isnt actually getting any airflow from say if you were actually going 60mph

Bu the bonnet is up when your on a RR... and there is a big f**k off fan in front of the car.....