ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do Oil Caps Vary Across Models (Mk1,2,3 etc.)

Renault clio
I have a small leak around my oil cap and sludge building up underneath. It is not present upon the dipstick nor is my coolant contaminated so I don't think it's my head gasket. I'm looking to buy a new cap and have spotted one on Amazon with Prime delivery but it only advertises the cap being suitable for mark 1 and 2 (mines is a 3). However, looking on Ebay i can see a cap advertised as being suitable across 1-3. Can i deduce from this that the oil cap is the same across the 3 generations of Clio's?

When you say leak around the oil cap, could it be just oil overspill from topping up the oil?

Clean the sludge out from the cap and you'd save yourself the price of a new cap. They all tend to have a bit of gunk there, from what I can tell - I think there is always a slight bit of condensation that combines with oil vapour to stick to it.

monaco 172
The oil cap on my old 1.4 MK3 was completely different to the cap on my 172 and 182. It had a built in dip stick

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
For reference, this is a 182 cap.

received_436476046915458.jpeg

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Rather sure that all the RS oil caps are the same.

172 / 182 / 197 / 200