ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do spacers affect bearings?

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
Im looking on getting some hubcentric spacers but just wondering do they affect wheel bearings or cause any other damage in the long run

Thanks

182cup & 172 racecar
I would expect they will shorten the bearing life, by how much I wouldn't know.

We race with them and don't have any trouble.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends what the spacers are used for, if its to correct offset after fitting higher offset wheels for exmaple, then the overall loading on the bearing is likely to be effected much.

Last edited:
Iv been running 8mm and 10mm hubcentrics on track and have been fine. I think if you was to go over 10mm, such as 15mm+ thats when I would start to worry.

Obviously avoid the shim type spacers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Iv been running 8mm and 10mm hubcentrics on track and have been fine. I think if you was to go over 10mm, such as 15mm+ thats when I would start to worry.

Obviously avoid the shim type spacers

We've used 15mm front and 25mm rear, but with wheels that are 11mm higher offset in the first place so a net effect of 4mm front and 14mm rear, and not had any issues. The rear I dont think could care what you did to it on a clio though, it see so little real load anyway.

TBH I would think that running stickier tyres puts more load on the wheel bearings when cornering than spacing the wheels out, yes it changes leverage on them, but you arent talking orders of magnitude.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont forget though guys that whats good for Tony for hard use for low miles on a race car is very different to the effects of 20,000 road miles, especially that camber.

That said I wouldnt think twice about 10/15mm spacers in terms of the bearings, but just in general road and racing arent always going to want the same things.

It will bump steer more if you space the wheels out too, again not something you would care about on a racetrack but can be annoying on the roads.