ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you know what amp

I need a cheap amp that is gonna give a single sub 250w rms at dual 4 ohms.
Has anyone got any sugestions of what amp to go for?
Thanx in advance

tony what sub have you got? i have an amp you can have for £20 that should do the job. just give me a bell.

Luke

If youre looking for a new amp then i would recommend the Directed 250d for £139. 250 Watts RMS of clean class D power @ 2ohm.

If you dont mind having second hand stuff you can find some bargains on the Rockford or Alpine side of things.

Russ
(Evil ICE Car Audio)

Luke,
What is it mate. Ill prob have it off ya.

Russ,
Have been looking at that one mate, seen it for £119.
Are they any good?

Also components? What are a decent set of 6.5s for cheap money.
Thanx
Tony

And isnt the Directed amp 250w rms at 2 ohms when its 0ne channel?
Its to power a JL 12W3 and its dual 4 ohm. Not sure but dont it mean it needs a channel per coil? So would need to be a 2 channel amp at 4 ohms per channel?

The directed class D amps are probably the best amps out there for the price. The new range is quite expensive but if you can still find some of the older ones then they are a good buy. £119 is a bargain price...buy 3!!!!

For the components i would also suggest Directed. They have a nice set of 6.5"ers in the Pro + series which sound very nice. Not too harsh on the treble and better than average bass response.

Russ
Evil ICE Car Audio

But Russ like i said above i am not sure the amp will power the sub.
May be a bargin if its what you need but if its not its a expencive bit of junk.

tony the directd amp will power the sub (dual voice coil 4 ohms will make the amp run at 2ohms, which will allow the amp to give out more power) but they are a budget amp! and the jl 14w4 is a good sub. the amp that i have is a keenwood 628 (old series) which runs 300w into one channel and at 2ohms should be powerfull enough but again is not an equall of the jl.

stay clear of component speakers unless you are going to amp them, go for co-axles as they are more efficent or even if you are brave a set of 6 x 9s in the front. as i said b4 give me a bell you can always give the amp a go and see how well it powers it then get different one if its not up to the job.

hope this helps

Luke

Cheers Luke, ill give ya a buzz tmorrow.
If i get that amp of ya mate i can get another amp to power the components and maybe the 6x9s. Ill have to see bout fittin 6x9s in the front tho?
I am sure the 14W4 is a very good sub but you have to have a very good wage packet to pay for it too i bet! Something i dont have at the mo. Id be looking way above a w3 if i had the dosh.

sorry mate typo... ment 12w3.... sorry and its one of my old amps used to power my infinity 12" (at 4 ohms).

will speak to ya tommorrow

Luke

I agree with most of the things Luke said there. The Directed amp will power the sub fine in its optimum wiring configuration. The RMS figures are slightly underrated on those amps, so it will probably put out about 280 Watts of power which is about the minimum for that sub. However for a W3, you could really do with sending about 400Watts RMS to it for daily driving. For SPL burps they will take 800 watts as long as its clean power.

Regarding the components, i would also agree with what he said. They are only really any different if they are going to be amped. If you buy his amp and try it on the sub you can see if it puts out enough power. If not you can power the rest of the speakers in the car with it and save up for a larger amp for the sub.

Russ

Evil ICE Car Audio