ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do You Ph1, and 1*2 Cup owners think FF owners are soft?

Tangoed Works
Just a thought, but do you less priviliged ;-) sport owners think that us ful fat owners are big girls blouses when you see us on the road? Or are you lot just envious of the creature comforts?

I wouldnt consider myself soft (the car gets what it needs from time to time) just because I wanted a few toys, but it'd be interesting to see what others think.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i notice the envious glares at my wheels..... as i'm looking envious of your xenon lights

but i know i'll be quicker ;)

nah i like all renault sports

clio 200 F4Rt
i prefer the exclusivity of cups (be it 172 or 182), but otherwise i am fine.

tho i do have a tendancy to look down my nose at FF owners that didnt get the cup suspension (not bother bout the cup spoilers).

dunno why, but there we go!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
it's worth the sacrifice of xenons and climate for the looks of the Ph1...

not to mention how raw it feels and the good ol' cable throttle adjustability.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
jayxx83 said:
Dash is pants on the Ph1 though.

not a huge difference, both pants imo but i pefer the white dials by far in the mk1.
also the mk1 172 is just as much loaded as your 182 apart from the climent control/hid's and maybe a few other bits. but its still not as raw sorry jay ;)

i dont think your soft at all... however i've often wondered if a 182 driver think's he's got a better car than my Ph1 172?

Ive overheard someone at a petrol pump telling his friend that he owns the newer, better version of my car...

im not saying your wrong in thinking that... i just wonder if you believe that your car is faster and better than mine?

BMW M3
fUbAr said:
i dont think your soft at all... however i've often wondered if a 182 driver think's he's got a better car than my Ph1 172?

Ive overheard someone at a petrol pump telling his friend that he owns the newer, better version of my car...

im not saying your wrong in thinking that... i just wonder if you believe that your car is faster and better than mine?

Thats the thing with newer cars.

The lesser enthusiastic car owner thinks that just cause their car has more (stated) BHP and is newer, it is always going to better in everyway as well as faster.

Prob what will happen with the 197 and 182.

i find FF drivers to be faster than cup drivers because they realise they dont need lightweight glass to make up for talent ;)

eh eh!

I always give jealous looks to Ph1 owners, just love the look of them. Sames goes for Willys, unfortunately with 16Vs they are mostly badly modded and driven by chavs around here, so I usually ignore them, but it's always nice to see a reasonably standard one although that is pretty rare.

As for looking down on Ph2 FF owners, can't say I've ever done that. However as a general rule I see more middle-aged women/family men with their kids onboard driving FF 172s, but Cup drivers are usually a man on his own gunning it down the road.

I've had some looks from 197 drivers, they've all given me that "I'm better than you" smug look :)

Vee dub
im quite content in my 16v....

i like the renaultsports, but I'm happy in my old school mobile

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
i do think the 182 is a tiny bit quicker then my mk1 172, had a few races, even tho i beat a few of the lights (you know who you are ;) ) the 182 is abit quicker just down to driver. i have driven both new 172 shape and 182 but i just feel like the mk1 172 does it better for me imo.

106 GTi
I don't ever thing of it as being soft, I have had my old school 205 and 309 GTi's but these days I love all the creature comforts of the Full Fat 182. I can still cover more ground than I could in either of my hardcore old school GTis in the same amount of time, and have the aircon on keeping cool. Personally I have never been a fan of the Phase 1 172 shape, (can't really say I love the shape of the 182 either!) but this is just down to individual taste, but they are cracking cars to drive like most of the Renault Sport range is.

The full fat 172/182s are far from soft compared to most cars on the road anyway!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i get loads of people in 182's/Ph2 172's/Mk1 Clios oggling my Ph1.

3 182 owners have spoken to me at petrol stations too. everyone loves the original. ;)

Tangoed Works
fUbAr said:

Not at all mate, it brings a big smile to my face to see any rs model tbh. Got love for them all as I am an enthusiast not a badge bum boy. I have not seen any RS197 owners yet next to me or the like, but I rekon most will be looking down as I feel that the true enthusiasts that know and love the RS range for its rawness are not catered for with the new model.

E-ray, I will hand ur ass to you soon mate! Get ready to be taken out mate ;-)

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
jayxx83 said:
Not at all mate, it brings a big smile to my face to see any rs model tbh. Got love for them all as I am an enthusiast not a badge bum boy. I have not seen any RS197 owners yet next to me or the like, but I rekon most will be looking down as I feel that the true enthusiasts that know and love the RS range for its rawness are not catered for with the new model.

E-ray, I will hand ur ass to you soon mate! Get ready to be taken out mate ;-)

lol iv givin you two chances already off the lights what else can i do for you :rasp: . you think you be lucky 3rd time......i think not! :evil:

fUbAr said:

No, No, No, No, No!!!

Between us, me and my sis have had a mk1 172, a mk2 172 (2 of them!), a 172 cup and my current 182.
All great cars, if I came across a mk1 172 in yellow, I'd seriously consider buying it.:cool:

VaVa
Funny to read about peoples thoughts on non-cupped 182's. I feel exactly the same. Why wouldn't you get the Cup packs>?! lol

Either an import or a gay driver. In fact just gay. lol.

Will a Renault Sport standard bumper without the cut outs for the exhust fit a 2003 1.2 on it's own with out any ova extras brackets or changes?

172 Exclusive... For Sale
I wouldn't say FF owners are soft, possibly more safety conscious or are maybe more likely to want to drive harder in rain or wanted an all round more comfortable car?

Only reason i bought a cup was cause i like the idea of a stripped-out, lighter car (previously owned 106rallye) and theres less stuff to go wrong.

VaVa
It's horses for courses at the end of the day. My FF 172 owning friend uses a race prepped caterham for his weekend blasts - So people would inccorectly make the assumption that he's a bit soft if they saw him in his 172.

Obviously a Caterham isn't as 'hardcore' as a Cup though....:rolleyes:

I bought the FF becuase of the spec. You simply couldn't get a brand new car that went as fast with the same specification. For 12k. Bargain imho.

I do agree that the Cup looks nicer though.... so I just made my car look like one. lol.

BMW 535D
if i wanted a cup i would have bought one :) im happy in my FF cup packed 182!

i dont look down at older RS's, i love seeing them on the road, im just aware that mine's slightly faster (well....except for the 172 cup which is about the same :p )

i upgraded from my saxo vts so i was damned if i wasn't having luxury ;)

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
chris_m182 said:
if i wanted a cup i would have bought one :) im happy in my FF cup packed 182!

i dont look down at older RS's, i love seeing them on the road, im just aware that mine's slightly faster (well....except for the 172 cup which is about the same :p )

i upgraded from my saxo vts so i was damned if i wasn't having luxury ;)

i came from a saxo too, equipment wise is about the same as a cup.