ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy Reno Jack.... Near miss!

Cup 172
Had the car up on the standard reno jack over the weekend. Not doing any real work on it, just having a look at something. Had taken the wheel off and was on pretty level ground. I think the car must have moved very slightly, cos I heard a ticking sound, got out of the way, grabbed the wheel and quickly put into place. Didnt even have time to put the bolts in before it came down...

I always use a trolley jack/axel stands if doing any proper work, but even so I wouldnt recommend ever using that thing if you can avoid it...

TP

106 GTi
Not good, after seeing a mates car across the road come of a standard jack, proper jack and axle stands are a must. I would never work actually under a car on a standard jack unless there was an axle stand under it to.

vx220
i only jacked my car up the once to take the back wheels off to clean them with the standard jack! Never again! It bends like the tower of piza and looks like its about to snap at any minute, not very safe if it does snap and you happen to be alone somewhere out of reach!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Rich said:
Not good, after seeing a mates car across the road come of a standard jack, proper jack and axle stands are a must. I would never work actually under a car on a standard jack unless there was an axle stand under it to.

same here. The standard Renault jacks are known by most to be very dodgy and best avoided.

Cup 172
I thought it looked dodgy, but didnt think it would be as bad as it was. As I say, if I was doing anything major, Id use a trolley jack, but after this, Id never use standard for anything.

Could have landed on my head, or even worse, damaged my car... ;-)

RB 200 Cup!
when i was replacing my 15's with my anthracites i had in up on the reno jack - f**king thing shitfted and smashed a hole in my side skirt - f**king thing cost 100 quid to get replaced!!

ant

yep.
the plastic end bit came clean off mine the other day whilst i was jacking my car up!

had to get the car down with my trolley jack and get the original one welded up.

Ziel Nurburgring
You cant win against Renault. If you stop using the jack made of kitkat tinfoil, you'll bend the jacking points made of dairylea.

Cup 172
blink172 said:
You cant win against Renault. If you stop using the jack made of kitkat tinfoil, you'll bend the jacking points made of dairylea.

Yep. Both rear sills have slight bends in em now after using a trolley jack at the weekend...

UR 197, AB 182 FF
I wonder if the newer cars have better jacks on them. I did notice when i was changing a front wheel not long ago that the jack seemed to bend but I thought nothing of it.

Golf R
you think renault jacks are bad, you want to try out vauxhall ones :mad:

ended up getting the aa to change my wheel on the hard shoulder of the m25 as it was that bad

'92 172, Lotus Elise
is this a mk2 thing? my mk1 one seems fine

i still use axel stands though... just incase

BMW 320d SE
My old Pug 306 jack collapsed on me too - I'd not even got the bolts of the wheel before it bent in half!
And yeah, my sills have been bent too by my trolley jack antics. Anyone know the best place to use a trolley jack on our clios?

Cup 172
Karlos69 said:
My old Pug 306 jack collapsed on me too - I'd not even got the bolts of the wheel before it bent in half!
And yeah, my sills have been bent too by my trolley jack antics. Anyone know the best place to use a trolley jack on our clios?

At the front the best place to use is the box sections of the chassis.

At the back, a lot of people have used the sills without problems.... Mine bent though!

BMW M135i
And thats why I never get under a car thats only on a jack whether it be a trolley one or otherwise, if i'm going anywhere near under it then its axle stand time.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive heard of troley jacks coming down to i always use stands if im going under.

my trolley jack fuked my sills at the front its ok at the back tho, so far!

lol reminds me of the time me and carlos broke both renault jack weeks back. lol the corsa jacks are better :)