ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does a decat void your insurance?

RS Clio 200
has to be declared.... wont void your insurance though, unless ure too young to be having mods on your policy

1.6 focus zetec....
They ain't going to be bothered if it gets through the m.o.t or not... aslong as you provide a valid m.o.t cert then thats all that matters

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
eh how does that work, if i was an insurer and someone wrote their car off and it wasn't road worth i.e. no m.o.t at the time of collision then I wouldn't pay out,

company im with Quinn say I can drive any car as long as it has m.o.t and tax and if their very own words as long as it road worthy, so if you dont declare something i can see them saying sorry insurance VOID

1.6 focus zetec....
Your insuracne will be void if you don't declare it...

I didn't say a car doesn't need an m.o.t

R

rich[182]

These decat threads go on and on, all these possible issues with insurance, police, MOT, VOSA etc etc, it simply aint worth the hastle for an every day car, only time I'd do it would be on a 2nd car used for trackdays, save your money and get matched inlets

nothing, blown up!
basically a decat willmake you fail your MOT, any thing that will fail your MOT is essentially illegal and will void your insurance.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
rich[182];2824724 said:
These decat threads go on and on, all these possible issues with insurance, police, MOT, VOSA etc etc, it simply aint worth the hastle for an every day car, only time I'd do it would be on a 2nd car used for trackdays, save your money and get matched inlets

spot on Rich!

M2 Competition
Eh?

Have any of the people above declared their decats? I was under the impression that insurance wouldnt let you declare it.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
No they won't... they won't 'cos it won't be them that has to sort it out

what do you mean you numpty, "it wont be them that has to sort it out", you cheese grater they have to pay to get your car fixed and any other cars if involed, so if that requireds 1000s to be spent they will try anything to get out of it, wudnt you.

hi yes i crashed my car killed someone and wrote three cars off doing 80mph down a 30 road, [worst case i think]

so guy comes down
o look you have not delclared this de-cat but dont worry we will pay,
ye ok then

If you say aftermarket/sports/performance exhaust. You've declared it, if they then follow up asking decat then fair enough but most will only ask the performance increase either in BHP or % of total output. I had one on my old 172 never had an issue and i'd have one on the 182 when i come to replace the OE system.

1.6 focus zetec....
No they won't... they won't 'cos it won't be them that has to sort it out

what do you mean you numpty, "it wont be them that has to sort it out", you cheese grater they have to pay to get your car fixed and any other cars if involed, so if that requireds 1000s to be spent they will try anything to get out of it, wudnt you.

hi yes i crashed my car killed someone and wrote three cars off doing 80mph down a 30 road, [worst case i think]

so guy comes down
o look you have not delclared this de-cat but dont worry we will pay,
ye ok then

Perhaps ive miss typed something here... The insurance won't insure you if you haven't got an m.o.t! They won't pay out if you don't declare something.. correct!!

The "it won't be them that has to sort it out" comment meant if the car was to fail the m.o.t due to the decat (the person would have to take it off) not if they had a crash and claimed... Ok you flipping egg timer??

Peperami some insurance companies will let you declare a de-cat... some won't!!

Last edited:
  172 Cup & Clio dci Van
De-cat more hassle than its worth save your money and get a proper performance mod e.g throttles or something, having a decat thus meaning you have a loud exhaust. Having a loud exhaust all the time will pi*s you off, especially if you do any motorway miles. The novelty wears off very quickly.

Track day material cars go fo it, its a track car! you wanna squeeze every drop you can out of it usually.

De-cat more hassle than its worth save your money and get a proper performance mod e.g throttles or something, having a decat thus meaning you have a loud exhaust. Having a loud exhaust all the time will pi*s you off, especially if you do any motorway miles. The novelty wears off very quickly.

Track day material cars go fo it, its a track car! you wanna squeeze every drop you can out of it usually.

Lol, how can you compare a £100 odd pipe to a set of throttle bodies. As for the volume a decat does not have to be just a straight pipe you can get silenced decats too.