ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does a V make a good company car?!?

Hi everyone,

I've owned a 182 for the past 18 months and I'm really enjoying it. I use it as my daily drive and company car and it hasn't missed a beat. However, I'm really coming around to the idea of getting a Phase 2 V and wanted to know whether anyone used one as a daily commute / company car. I love the 182, but fancy something a little bit spicier (besides that V6 behind my lug holes can keep me company on the long journeys!).

I realise I should post this on the V section, but wondered if you have any views. My mileage works out around 18k p.a. but that is likely to reduce soon.

So the question - can you use a V as a company car?

Cheers

Clio v6
Use mine almost every day, only areas like London with massive speed bumps can be a bit annoying. The v6 behind you lug holes is far more pleasant than any din coming from the stereo in front ( and you can change the track with your right foot ) ;)

Lux'd Glacier White R26
For that sort of money, and for a company car i would get something more comfortable, bigger, and with rear seats..Lol. R32 would be my choice, or an M3 depending on budget.

Tyson.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Tyson-182 said:
For that sort of money, and for a company car i would get something more comfortable, bigger, and with rear seats..Lol. R32 would be my choice, or an M3 depending on budget.

Tyson.

Very good chocie, my old man's got one. £2000, gets you schrik cams, and a remap = 300Bhp.

Clio v6
A think we need to define what Hus_Kose means by "spicier".

If its looks he's after then an R32 or anything else will never look like a Clio v6 no matter how good the cams are. :)

MK2 Clio V6 255
I mostly use my Vee in the evenings but have used it on 3 hour journeys and can happily say the noise issue is not a problem. Wen your cruising along the motorway its very quiet. Once you put your foot down it raises the sound but its not deafening.

There very comfortable a long journey is just as pleasurable as a short journey.

The fuel comsumption can vary depend on the way you drive it. Ive done around 360 mile round trip on a tank of super at an average mpg of 28, cruising at around 80mph.

Servicing is every 12k and isnt as bad on the wallet as some cars, but at around 70k or 5 years your looking at a major service with a cambelt change. This will set you back around the £1k mark.
Tyres can be around the £150 kinda price per corner but if your on the motorway then you will get a decent mileage out of them.

You will enjoy every minuteof the Vee and there not as "Un-practical" as some people first think.

Dennis;)

MK2 Clio V6 255
Get yourself one then mate, theres some cheap mk1s about at the mo.

I understand the insurance is an issue tho but im just 23 2 years NCB and with one accident, just over 2years ago and im paying £1600 with admiral.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Mine is my daily drive, and whilst I don't do significant business miles that often, it's always been totally practical for me.

Thanks for your views folks.

Some of the options put forward have already been thought about, particularly the M3 option - just seems like a lot of spare space to be carting round!

Whichever way I go, I realise that a performance car will cost more to run etc., but that isn't my priority here.

I might check out the insurance costs now!!!!!!

Cheers

Clio RS 172 Ph2
I've run mine for the last year as my company vehicle (well privately owned, but business mileage). Have done 20,000 miles in that time and it has proved comfortable, reliable, not overly loud on the motorway, and at 27mpg, reasonably economic to run.

Thanks for the info 137699. Sounds like you're in a similar position to myself i.e. privately owned, allowance plus mileage.

I will give it a look definetly. Only immeadiate disadvantage is that i can't hang my suit jacket up in the back!!!!!!!

I just fancy something different from the usual beemers, mercs and audis. All very good, but I don't need to drive all of that space about.

I don't fancy getting something tiresome, judging by the mileage you do you seem pretty fine with yours. Do you know of any good insurers that offer competitive rates for a Group 20 beast that will do significant business mileage?

Hus_Kose said:
Thanks for the info 137699. Sounds like you're in a similar position to myself i.e. privately owned, allowance plus mileage.

I will give it a look definetly. Only immeadiate disadvantage is that i can't hang my suit jacket up in the back!!!!!!!

I just fancy something different from the usual beemers, mercs and audis. All very good, but I don't need to drive all of that space about.

I don't fancy getting something tiresome, judging by the mileage you do you seem pretty fine with yours. Do you know of any good insurers that offer competitive rates for a Group 20 beast that will do significant business mileage?

well im 26 and am insured through elephant for 600 a year which i think is very good. Personally i dont like the V6 for long jorneys i would prefer something more comfortable like an M3. And dont expect more than about 24mpg on long journeys either.

Clio RS 172 Ph2
Hus_Kose said:

LOL, I had exactly the same issue, so I got a brass hook and screwed it into one of the blanking plates for where the rear grab handles are fitted in a conventional clio! My suit jacket thus hangs nicely in the space behind the drivers seat!

Excellent skills - I particularly like the choice of material as well - can't beat a bit of brass!

I guess having the engine in the back also allows you to keep you Ginsters pasty warm on those long journeys - yet another added practicality.

Thanks.

Clio RS 172 Ph2
Actually it is very good for keeping Pizza warm on its way back from Domino's. You can wedge anything up to an 18" monstor between the inner & outer engine covers, and it keeps the pizza nice & warm!

I bought one back from Reading once (about 40 mins drive) and it was still piping hot when I got home!

Yowzer! It's a no brainer. Quick and allows you to keep your take away at optimum heating temperature. I bet M3 drivers are queuing up to have that option fitted!

Cheers