ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

does anyone else have power steering off?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
We have our power steering removed in our race car.. bit of a handful in the paddock, but once about 5mph it’s absolutely fine.. we really like the direct feedback you get

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I tried my epas turned right down at Croft and it was like driving a GoKart. You've always got pressure against your forearms and your grip starts to ache after 15/20 minutes. I have mine set some where between 1/4 and 1/3 assistance.
I watched your latest race video in the wet and your steering wheel had some right kick back (when it was attached) looked a handful

Anyone have any experience or know of after market pas pumps? Something electric driven as my steering is a lot heavier than I remembered when I last drove, Im running 4.6 castor but the stability is too good to give up with it set to that.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've got no PAS, you get quite a bit of arm pump and wrist ache after about 10 laps. Definitely worth it because the car feels direct and above 10mph the steering is pretty much assisted by sheer speed anyway

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone have any experience or know of after market pas pumps? Something electric driven as my steering is a lot heavier than I remembered when I last drove, Im running 4.6 castor but the stability is too good to give up with it set to that.

Some people have used the Citroen Saxo pump if you want to keep the hydraulics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
mines stayed in, but remove some of the fluid b4 the track or it pisses out everywhere as I found at Donnington couple years back

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
mines stayed in, but remove some of the fluid b4 the track or it pisses out everywhere as I found at Donnington couple years back

Just change to epas its so much easier.
Clears loads of shite out if the engine bay and you dont have to worry about oil pissing everywhere potentially setting on fire if it gets as far as the exhaust or your pump seizing up with the lack of oil in it which in turn throws your alternator belt off potentially damaging your cam belt which could ruin the engine.
Worst case scenario, just saying lol

A5 Coupe & Clio182

Had the same issue at Snetterton.

Just in case anyone is interested, I fit a Mishimoto Cooler into the return feed before the Power Steering fluid bottle, fixed it infront of the radiator and it works a treat. Never had an issue since!

We have our power steering removed in our race car.. bit of a handful in the paddock, but once about 5mph it’s absolutely fine.. we really like the direct feedback you get

Very interested to know what you have done, ie have you retained the original rack, blanked it off and removed the pump, or is there more to it.
Also might sound a daft question, but what diameter steering wheel do you have fitted?

Reason for asking is my PAS effectively deleted itself today, middle of a wet race at Lydden Hill.
Very weird experience with on-off assistance, while the pump expired and the fluid disappeared.

For the second race we decided to disconnect the pipework and drain out any fluid that we could, but of course we had to keep the dead pump connected to keep the alternator running, being wet had all lights, blower etc running.

Although I'm a bit of a wimp, and Lydden is all corners, and I have a silly little 300mm diameter steering wheel, and I had s**t AD08 tyres understeering all the way, I still reckon I'd need arms like Arnie to comfortably get the thing turned in and held while still concentrating on the apex and getting the power down.
And that's all my excuses done for a fairly crap performance! Oh, not quite, the dead pump seized up, of course it would with no fluid, put massive resistance on the belt and then I was 2 seconds a lap slower than before! When I came in the pump had pretty much melted, engine bay full of smoke! At least I tried, and it was the last race of the season.

I would be keen to just delete the PAS and put a sensible sized wheel back on, but should I also be looking for a different rack?

Many thanks, Andy

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Very interested to know what you have done, ie have you retained the original rack, blanked it off and removed the pump, or is there more to it.
Also might sound a daft question, but what diameter steering wheel do you have fitted?

Reason for asking is my PAS effectively deleted itself today, middle of a wet race at Lydden Hill.
Very weird experience with on-off assistance, while the pump expired and the fluid disappeared.

For the second race we decided to disconnect the pipework and drain out any fluid that we could, but of course we had to keep the dead pump connected to keep the alternator running, being wet had all lights, blower etc running.

Although I'm a bit of a wimp, and Lydden is all corners, and I have a silly little 300mm diameter steering wheel, and I had s**t AD08 tyres understeering all the way, I still reckon I'd need arms like Arnie to comfortably get the thing turned in and held while still concentrating on the apex and getting the power down.
And that's all my excuses done for a fairly crap performance! Oh, not quite, the dead pump seized up, of course it would with no fluid, put massive resistance on the belt and then I was 2 seconds a lap slower than before! When I came in the pump had pretty much melted, engine bay full of smoke! At least I tried, and it was the last race of the season.

I would be keen to just delete the PAS and put a sensible sized wheel back on, but should I also be looking for a different rack?

Many thanks, Andy

Hi Andy.. we use the std PAS rack that’s just blanked off and either side the piston looped.. I can check the size of the wheel but think it’s a 350mm.. check out our build thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the replies, I think I will be getting the PMS delete and blank/loop kit, and a 350mm wheel and see how that goes. Definitely the cheapest option to start with, then if I still find I'm too puny I'll have to think about electric assistance.

Oddly enough the weight loss will probably mean i'll have to start adding ballast! As I'm in production class min weight is 1075kg with driver, we weighed in at 1078 so getting near the mark. Or maybe I'll just go fully skimmed next season, dump the glass windows, electric winders, OEM door cards etc, and move up a class.