ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does my 52 plate 1.2 clio 2 have a speed sensor?

Hi I'm currently in the process of fixing a 52 plate clio 2 1.2 dynamique up for my gf several problems but getting there. Now my problem is my speedo is inop and also get a popping sound from exhaust which I read up as all points to the speed sensor. I can't find a straight answer to whether it has a speed sensor fixed to the gearbox or it uses the front left hand abs sensor? Could someone please tell me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks
​mike

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
If it has a speed sensor (1.2 16v doubt it. 1.2 8v possibly) then it will be on top of the differential, has a push on connector. Nothing to squeeze to pull it off just give it a pull and it will have a 3 wire connection. black plastic unit with a heat shield clipped onto it. You can see it easily under the bonnet, if its there. If its not then it runs off the ABS.

If thats the case then check the ABS rings. Chances are if it has ABS then it runs off the ABS. If you cant see anything and when you drive it, if the ABS warning light doesnt come on then its probably ok. If when you drive it the mileage goes up then its the speed clock itself.

I know theres alot there but at least i dont have to post again and again as you go thru the checks.

Yes the car is a 1.2 16v really can't see a connector on the gearbox/diff so must be ran off the abs sensor ill check the plugs and the sensors/rings when I can. When driving the speedo doesn't work at all but mileage counts and no abs warning light

Just connected my vi monitor to the obd2 socket to see if there was an electrical signal being produced for speed and nothing registered but due to the cars age this might be the case. I also noticed the rev counter didn't respond correctly to the throttle it was delayed or sometimes never moved or even dropped to 0. Also the water temp gauge was flickering about between mid point and 0?

Well just tried the ignition on and trip reset to test the clocks on my dials and they both move as supposed to then I started the engine and rev counter behaved as normal temp gauge does as well so went for a little drive. The mileage counts and the speedo now works and I didn't disturb anything before this will see how I get on

Well after rebuilding the interior and servicing the car guess what the speedo has stopped working yet again and the mileage doesn't count all other components ok I've got a new instrument panel on the way to try any other ideas?

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Can you use your diagnostic tool to connect to the ABS computer? If so go into the live data and drive the car and see if any speed is registered in the ABS.