ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does No MOT Invalidate Insurance?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Basically, I went to get an mot this morning, got on the ramps and rollers with millimetres to spare. However, They bodyshop who did my respray have removed my chassis plate inside the door, and the MOT people said they cant mot untill i get it put back on.

Phone Renault, they sauid upto THREE MONTHS before i can get this, and its going to cost £70!!

Im having some decorating done, And one of the decorators said, he didnt think my insurance was valid if i had no mot, as the car was not road worthy. now obviously im not driving it about, its just on my drive, doing nothing, but is it insured with no mot?

Thanks

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
nope, with no MOT you have no insurance and you'll end up in serious s**t if anything happens. Why do the garage need that plate for the MOT? That's a new one to me, they should have all the details on their system from putting the number plate in and the number's stamped in a fair few places if they need it.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
the chassis number is also on teh dash, passenger side under teh windscreen, but you got a new dash didnt you?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
was stamped in the engine bay, but the ydidnt it in the door as well.

dint know about plate, could have done that, but it only got transfered over yesterday, so probably not on the DVLA database yet. My MOT ran out fridya, but my docs and plate were with The DVLA, whilst transferring my new private plate, that came thru yesterday, installed it all this morning, and then went to get my mot and they said they cant cause of the lack of chassis plate on the door.

even though my cars on my drive, doing nothing (im obv not driving) its still not insured for theft?

Polo GTi
No it doesn't invalidate your insurance, all the insurance company does is deduct a % from your final payout, as you don't have a road worthy vehicle, thats in the even of a claim.

Obviously the Police will have something to say on the matter, if they stop you, but technically you could still get a payout

As long ass your not taking the piss, like no MOT for years

My mate has just gone through this very scenario

Completely depends on your insurance company. Give them a bell and ask them.

You can drive in law without an MOT, but only to and from the MOT garage. Therefore I would suggest there are some insurance companies that will still cover you.

Most stipulate you will be insured as long as you have a driving licence (inc provisional) and havnt been banned from driving.

Give em a bell you might be surprised...

clio 172 cup
A lad at work wrote his beamer off and had no M.O.T, he was told his policy was void because of this, but got a phone call later saying they would pay out minus a pecentage dew to having no M.O.T. The car was only worth 1500 though.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Great thread, im sure they can use the plate on the windscreen? I still have stock dash in. I'll phone them tomorrow regarding this.

I will not drive the car, only to the mot place, its just if it gets stolen etc

Its ran out 6 days ago, the cars taxed and i have a clean license

I'm sure the cars road worthy, its had only done 1500miles since last MOT (bein in bodyshop for 7 months) Its had new tyres, windscreen wipers, suspension, bushes, wheel ebarings and brakes since too :)

It seems the odds were stacked against me, I only made it onto the rollers by 2.7mm (they checked with digital calipers lol!)

Appreciate the help guys.

D

dick

i once did it when i got my car, after about 8 months i forgot, didnt realise until it was due to get taxed that it ran out 4 month ago, wops

Range Rover, GTC, LP640
You shouldnt of smoothed the bumpers in !

Thats why thats the only thing i have not done ! Lol

Range Rover, GTC, LP640
Thinking about this plate thats inside the door i cant think if ive still got mine ?

I better have because itl need an mot next month !

Ph2 172
Must admit i'm kind of screwed with this one at the moment as well. MOT ran out wed/thurs. Had it tested friday and it failed (CVD boot come un strapped). It's sorted now, but they can't retest till next wednesday, so i'm kind of screwed. I know the car is fine, but because of the new computer system, they have to do a full test. I went back to the station after i'd sorted it, and the guy agreed that it was fine, and that under the old system it wouldn't have been a problem. Bloody computers.............

No more clio's for me!
Basically your car can't be proven to be road worthy without an M.O.T. So theres load of loops holes that they can get on i.e if you had a bump, how can you prove that the accident wasn't due to faulty part of your motor...etc etc. Beta get it sorted quick smart son.

Evoo said:
No MOT does not automatically mean no insurance.

2 tru but having no MOT would invalidate any claim u made on your insurance , as u had not told them ;) u can make a claim , it might still go through dependant on circumstances as i have heard of uninsured loss claims being done .