ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does the 197 go for a... Diesel?

Megane R26
I've had my 197 now for little over 6 months, and I've put 13k on the clock... at an average of about 28MPG. That's a lot of money spent on petrol.

Now, logic would dictate that I should be chopping said car in for a Diesel, but I can't get over the fact that my car is so much fun to drive.

I can afford the petrol expenditure, but most of my driving is motorway and it seems very rare that I can actually take my car out for a play of late, although when I do, I fall in love with it again.

So, in short, can someone please talk me into getting rid of my car and opting for a Diesel please?

It will probably be a RenaultSport Megane DCI 175 with a remap to 220BHP..ish.

Like so:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1271363.htm

Thanks,

Russ. :confused:

PS. I also secretly want a Vectra Diesel, as I have heard that they are the bestest, fastestest cars everer.

Megane R26
Don't do it, my daily drive is a mk5 golf GT TDi and it's boring as f**k

Indeed, but the Megane is supposed to be the least boring of a bad bunch... I'd never have an A3/Golf/Octavia. The Leon FR is okay at a push, but even that is a bit dodgy and dull.

Indeed, but the Megane is supposed to be the least boring of a bad bunch... I'd never have an A3/Golf/Octavia. The Leon FR is okay at a push, but even that is a bit dodgy and dull.

Look what a good tuned Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI does to my Clio 197, and my friends Clio 197 (he has: a decat, catcams, v6 airbox, matched inlets & a remap). :cool:

[YOUTUBE]v=bp-O0waTX_E[/YOUTUBE]

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Buy a 1*2, much better on fuel and just as much fun to drive, without a diesel clatter to listen to :)

Swift Sport
It's a difficult decision tbh, so many options! You're always going to lose money trading your car in, and if you start modding a diesel you'll start to lose the ecconomy. A 182 is great but with the miles you do you need something reasonably new with warranty.

I'd say drive a cup-pack diesel Meg and take it from there!

(I'm talking like I don't know you Russ, what's going on there! lol :S)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The megs good fun tbf. Not as responsive or agile as a 225, but still good. Mk5 golf gti is worth looking at. Faster is a straight line than a 197, not as agile but a great drive. Stunning cabin. Riz gets better mpg on the same journey in his than I do in the 172, 35mpg+. Will hold value better than a meg, and dirt cheap to service (less than a 172 ffs!).

I wouldnt. I'd consider the change for an R26. But you'll probably miss the fun factor. Diesels are just dull to drive.

I have owned a DCi175 mapped to 216bhp and 343ftlb, not with cup pack.
I found it to be uninspiring and not very good on turn in, the handling was pretty bad but the cup pack will be better.
The engine felt very heavy up front.
Andy

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Do the math and figure out how much you will actually save on fuel over 6 months, after the costs payed out associated with selling your car . . . Then stop being ghey and go for a blast in the 197

Megane R26
£2k a year saving on fuel plus £200 or so on insurance

Demon, would coilovers have helped?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
How did you figure that out? I figured it out to be roughly £2000 you spent over 13000 miles, you ain't gonna be getting double the MPG (56)

MCS R56
Just test a few and make your mind up. The 197 mpg is pretty pathetic but the diesels are now getting better overall, imo. I suppose it depends what you really want from the car.

If you can afford the petrol already then you are set to lose more money by selling the 197, so it seems pretty pointless.

Titanium 182
If you're doing that mileage buy a crappy diesel bus for a grand (Your fuel savings will cover it for a year !) and keep your clio for fun.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The petrol thing was a factor in me selling mine. I only use it to and from the gf's, and it was starting to piss me off putting £60+ of fuel in it every 10 days or so. So sold up and got a £4k Cup. £45 a tank and 38mpg so far. Yes its gruff and a bit lairy but meh, my bank account is now 6K better off!

MCS R56
The petrol thing was a factor in me selling mine. I only use it to and from the gf's, and it was starting to piss me off putting £60+ of fuel in it every 10 days or so. So sold up and got a £4k Cup. £45 a tank and 38mpg so far. Yes its gruff and a bit lairy but meh, my bank account is now 6K better off!

Good upgrade!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Can't believe its not been mentioned already..

For that sort of money, i'd be getting a 330d tbh... quick, epically quick after a remap (how does nearly 300bhp and 400lb/ft torque sound?), stunning, reliable, RWD, and still good MPG (although admittedly probably not as good as a proper economical diesel rather than a performance diesel

Last edited:
  audi a6 3.0tdi
PS. I also secretly want a Vectra Diesel, as I have heard that they are the bestest, fastestest cars everer.

lol :rasp:

i'm off to europe next year for a road trip i was going to use the vec as its pretty quick and good mpg 50+ on the motorway but after a long thought i decided i'd have far more fun in the clio.

ultimatly you'll have more fun in the clio but the diesels are nowhere near as boring as you expect.

182+1.5DCI+S2000
Yeah the MPG on the 172/182 is mint if you dont drive like its stolen! and even if you do its still good! :eek:

£2k a year saving on fuel plus £200 or so on insurance

Demon, would coilovers have helped?

......... av. mpg.....miles.... £/ltr......ltr/yr.......£ fuel/yr
dci175.....40.......26000.....1.08....2957.5......£3194.10
R27.........28.......26000.....1.07....4225.........£4520.75

saving /yr £1326.65 on fuel

VED
197 £235
175 £180

first 3 service costs (autoexpress)
197 £660
dci175 £900

Last edited:
  e60 M5 -172- dciheid
you need to map the 175 dci or your only getting 38mpg.
its an ok choice, but its no revvy amazing handling barge!

that one is not too bad, but imo its a tad overpriced for what it is.
i wouldnt put R26 decals on either, as you will get pumped silly off Astra VXRs etc

Megane R26
Things have changed at work and I'll be on a car share from December - so 4k per annum.

This means R26 :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Economy wise evo said this of the dci v's a focus ST.

Now, we don’t normally talk costs, but we’ll make an exception here. Blasting across Wales, the Focus demanded a gallon of unleaded every 22.2 miles; the Mégane stretched that to 32.4. On the cruise up there and back, the results were Focus 27.5mpg, Mégane 39.1. Even though diesel is around 10 pence per litre more at the moment, over 12,000 miles the Mégane would save you over £500. And that’s without thinking about its lower road tax band (another £40 saved), environmental impact (172g/km plays 224g/km) and insurance.

Twingo rs133
Ive got the new shape clio 1.2 mate its nippy and wicked on petrol and cheap tax. U can always chop it in and get the 1.2 turbo gt clio that is only 120 quid a year 2 tax.:D