ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does your 172 Idle Lumpy?

172 Ph2
As I've mentioned in a previous post, my 172 idles a bit unevenly and the exhaust gasses are a bit 'chuggy' and 'spitty'. I was told be my local garage that the car is fine and there's nothing wrong with it! I was wondering if anybody else's 172 does this? :S

BMW M135i
They all do it to a certain degree, especially when cold starting. Downside of a reletively higher tuned engine.

Monaco 172 2/468
Aye mate, my 172 can feel\sounds crappy when its starting up from freezing cold, first minute or so, the acceleration can be really stuttery. It feels like a 1 litre for a short period, but it soon warms up.

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Yeh mines lumpy. I assumed it was down to the engine being a little tweeked and maybe having slightly 'wilder' cams? Although I could be talking cr@p...!

172CUP/Fiesta supersport
i'm always surprised by these posts as my cup idles spot on and it's had a few tweeks it is also really responsive when cold infact moreso than it is when warm...........go figure.

172 Ph2
My 182 had 6k on the clock and was a bit lumpy! Maybe I'm just getting parinoid! It's strange that some PPL have no problem with idle though. Maybe it's a matter of opinion and expection! The garage think it's perfectly fine, I don't! Go figure! My GF did notice that it was rough the other day, she knows nothing about cars! My mate (who does) say's it seems normal to him!! AHHHHHHHH!!!

from my experience of 3 clio sports and friends cars they are all a little lumpy from cold especially but as soon as the ecu settles and adjustes they are normally fine buddy

172 Ph2
I guess it depends on what you think is fine. It's true that the ecu hunts around a bit from cold! I drove 15 miles to work in traffic jams though and when I got to work it was still what I'd describe as 'uneven!'. Thanks for the comments though!

Trophy #473
always lump when cold, try lightly taping the excelerator when lifting off around 2k in any gear, tinny pops. ph-quicks only tho... we have throttle cable ;)

RS RIP
does'nt sound like a problem with you running the wrong octane fuel to me.

But since fuel was mentioned; fast engines dont like low octane fuels if you ask me, stick with the Ron98 (for the 2.0 RS that is) !!

With my former scooby the difference was huge, the higher the octane the better !

Good luck with your problem, it's worth having a look at the watertemp.sensor for instance, seems that this one causes a lot of problems like you mentioned. Makes idle go funny among others. Not that expensive i think..

172 Ph2
Cheers. It's really wierd though. There's no other symptoms, all guages are fine, the car drives fine, fuel eco is fine, emmisions are fine, I think it may just be 'how it meant to be'.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
ive changed from tescos 99 ron to v power, car used to idle really bad i mean to the point where i took it bk to renault. been running v power for a few weeks now and its a totaly different car. idles smooth and when cold theres no chugging

172 cup
yeah seem to run nice up the gears just uneven on tick over nothing u can do about that...well not unless u sell up and buy different car ha ha

Mine seems to judder slightly when Idle but doesn't do it when its cold as its revving a little higher than usual. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. A couple of people have said its nothing to worry about, everything else seems fine.

172 Ph2
Mine seems to judder slightly when Idle but doesn't do it when its cold as its revving a little higher than usual. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. A couple of people have said its nothing to worry about, everything else seems fine.

Exactly the same as mine mate;)

But since fuel was mentioned; fast engines dont like low octane fuels if you ask me, stick with the Ron98 (for the 2.0 RS that is) !!

With my former scooby the difference was huge, the higher the octane the better !
The scoobies are turo engine so need high ROn fuel due to det or whatever its called. The CLio doesn't have that problem.

The idle should be quite stable its down to emmisions only mapping.

Clio 172 Mk2
I thought the reason they were lumpy is something to do with low fuelling for emissions reasons when the car is first started up. Sure i read that in another post

172 Ph2
Just checked out my dad's 172 and his idles the same! It's just not as noticable as his is running a standard zorst! I'm coming to the conclusion that it must be normal!

Clio 172 mk2
Used V-power and Optimax and made no difference in my Clio. I can see how it could be advantageous in turbo engines but not the Renault NA.

172 Ph2
TBH I used normal 95 or 97 ron when I first got the car. When I noticed the funny idle I swapped to 99 ron V-power. It made no noticable difference to the idle or the performance. As long as fuel doesn't start to fly up in price I'll probably keep using 99 ron as it's got to be marginally better for performance and V-power is probably better for the engine!

i have started putting in 97ron bp ultimate back in and have noticed car is noticeably better in the morning and is alot quieter

182 Cup
How much more per litre is it?
I assume it would be best to get most of the regular unleaded out of the car before firing in this other stuff?

172 mk1 & S15 & ZX6R
Re: Does your 172 Idle Lumpy? and off topic a little...

Yep, mine too (2000). Going a little off topic but need help....Just failed the MOT really badly on CO. The garage cleaned up the lambda sensor and it dropped a bit, ran some fuel additive and dropped a bit more.

Does the 172 (2000) have 2 Lambda's like the 182 ?

Garage thinking now its the VVC actuator holding the valve timing a little out (or Renault messed up with the CAM belt change and its a tooth out).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
  clio 172 mk1
my clio sometimes did when i had a k&n filter on it due to hot air being drawn in but i bought a viper and it is spot on

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
Mine runs a little lumpy when its warmed up, I thought this would be due to the ICV being sticky until I looked for one last night lol.

I have only had the car since last week, and have only used half a tank of Vpower so far, so I hope it will get a bit better the more I run it on Vpower.

I only assume it has been run on 'normal' fuel up until now.

172 Cup (track) FS
Mine runs a little lumpy when its warmed up, I thought this would be due to the ICV being sticky until I looked for one last night lol.

I have only had the car since last week, and have only used half a tank of Vpower so far, so I hope it will get a bit better the more I run it on Vpower.

I only assume it has been run on 'normal' fuel up until now.

Exactly the behaviour of mine Matt - it's got better since a major overhaul service and plenty of V-Power/Tesco99.

The engine also benefits from being used 'fully' - don't think it had been driven hard and so everything has needed a good clearout.