ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Don’t call me stupid but !!

By the weekend I should have my full Magnex system and HP cat back [second hand]. Firstly should I have my car MOTd before putting the catback on ? Also, is it better to fit everything at once or can I put the exhaust on and at a later date the decat ? How easy to fit are exhausts on 16vs, I did my old XR2 easy, are they similar, ie; two bolts and then unhang it ? What sort of nuts, bolts and gaskets will I need for all this ?

Many thanks for any help,

Mike

If your car is registered after 31st December 1992, then you will most likely need to have the catalyst fitted to pass emissions tests that are part of the MOT. I dont think its a legal requirement to have the cat fitted, but the fumes wont pass the post 31 Dec 92 tests without one. The very earliest 16vs in Europe came without cats.

are you replacing the cat? is your car a k reg or newer? if the answer to both of these is yes then change the exhaust after the mot.

Ben - unfortunately they changed the rules so it is any car regestered on or after 1st august 1992. i say unfortunately - can you guess what day my car was regestered on?

My car is a 96 N plate and yes I think I am replacing the CAT [not taking the p1ss as I am a novice on 16vs and thought the System and decat would do that ??]. So, first question sorted, next, what about fitting ie: gaskets etc, anyone done it all themselves ??

Thanks again,

Mike

my car is a k and it says on the log book it was registered on 1/08/1992 does this mean i will have to put the cat on for the mot,:confused:

grey 16v - yes, probably, unless you are very lucky, or know a garage that will look the other way. your car and mine share the same birthday.