ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dont touch coil pack when engine is running!!

R35 GTR
My f**king chest is killing.....:dapprove:

Was trying to see if leads were loose.All i did was touch the rubber casing then wallop!!!!!

Is this normal....lol.:S

R35 GTR
Its not really the current that kills its the frequency i think. I deal with high voltage stuff all day at work, so why the fook did i touch it.....?

LY 182
yep, i do it regular to check if leads are tracking out
you get used to it, lol.

Clio 172 Cup
Its not really the current that kills its the frequency i think. I deal with high voltage stuff all day at work, so why the fook did i touch it.....?

frequency ? ........

i hope your better at your job than your statement sugests if i said something like that at work i would be fired and marched straight off the premesis.

R35 GTR

frequency ? ........

i hope your better at your job than your statement sugests if i said something like that at work i would be fired and marched straight off the premesis.

yes frequency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_shock said:
A low-voltage (110 to 220 V), 50 or 60-Hz AC current travelling through the chest for a fraction of a second may induce ventricular fibrillation at currents as low as 60mA. With DC, 300 to 500 mA is required. If the current has a direct pathway to the heart (e.g., via a cardiac catheter or other kind of electrode), a much lower current of less than 1 mA, (AC or DC) can cause fibrillation. Fibrillations are usually lethal because all the heart muscle cells move independently. Above 200mA, muscle contractions are so strong that the heart muscles cannot move at all.

As it was dc, a larger current would have been needed than for ac, due to the freuquency.....
what do you do for a living then?

Clio 172 Cup
it should be 0V

however depending on the type of insulation and the condition of it,
and the voltage of the ignition coil you could get close enough to create an arc

eg how a spark plug works

VaVa
I've never had a pisser off a car *touches wood*

It's the current that f***s you. Doesn't take much either. Hence RCD's being 30mA in your house (or should be - very few people have them lol)

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
current's the killer.

i think legoland may have got a bit mixed up with AC and DC, still both carry current, one on a frequency the other one directly.

i think..........from my uni days!

172DD Cup
yeah ive done that before. didnt hurt for long though. maybe you should get it checked out if it still hurts? safe side and all that.

Clio 172 mk2
I've got a jolt of the coil pack/leads on my old 205

Painful but didn't give me a pain in the chest

Trophy #267
technically, the frequency of an ac voltage waveform does make a difference of the effects it has on the body. IIRC 50Hz is THE most dangerous frequency for AC supply (todo with heart / brainwave natural frequencies) and a slight variation of this reduces the chance of death via shock significantly.

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
ahh i remember a saying from years ago.

its the volts that jolt and the amps that kill :rolleyes:

I've never had a pisser off a car *touches wood*

It's the current that f**ks you. Doesn't take much either. Hence RCD's being 30mA in your house (or should be - very few people have them lol)

Oi wannabe engineer, I already said that ;)
Sparkies.... I s**t 'em;)

VaVa
Sparkie? I aint a f**king house basher! (not that there's anything wrong with house bashers - just couldn't be further away from what I do lol)
I figured it ought to come from someone qualified to say it ;)

I'm an Engineering Technician thank you very much.:rasp: :rasp:

Fitters... I s**t em ;) :p I've been certified as multiskilled by my company for removal of a dual seat tuchenagen valve and putting a toy town gear box back together. LOL Makes me laugh. Extra 2.5k a year though!

Frequency does effet the way your body is shocked.... but ultimately it's current passing through you that determines whether or not your heart stops or you get severely burnt up. Ouch.

Last edited:
Sparkie? I aint a f**king house basher! (not that there's anything wrong with house bashers - just couldn't be further away from what I do lol)

Fitters... I s**t em ;) :p I've been certified as multiskilled by my company for removal of a dual seat tuchenagen valve and putting a toy town gear box back together. LOL Makes me laugh. Extra 2.5k a year though!

Frequency does effet the way your body is shocked.... but ultimately it's current passing through you that determines whether or not your heart stops or you get severely burnt up. Ouch.

Flol @ Engineering Technician.

We are all that mate, oh hang on My correct title is Steam, Refrigeration and water services Technician lol.

VaVa

We are all that mate, oh hang on My correct title is Steam, Refrigeration and water services Technician lol.

PMSL. I wouldn't mind that. Mines's shocking.

MultiSkilled Business Centred Maintenance Technician.

LOL

Anyway. At least LegoHead hasn't suffered any ill iffects. Whether it was the current or the frequency (;)) that got him an electric shock is never a nice thing!

Shhh
You guys have got nothing on me..

Lego man..

Dont worry about it, you shall learn and do it again.

Basically in short..

The coil pack is a capacitor, it receives a LT (low tension) input from the car, maybe 5~12v from the ecu. From here, the coil pack builds up the voltage too about 50,000volts, where a contact arcs over when a set voltage is reached and pushed the output (50,000volts) to the spark plug via the HT (high tension lead).

Therefore if you turn the engine off, or disconnect the system. It is best to let the system discharge for about 3~4 mins otherwise you could be risking letting yourself discharge that capacitor.

The coil pack has 2 sides, LT and HT..

You had a shock from the HT side as you were the shortest path to earth, as in normal operation its through the plug across the gap to earth.

A lesson learnt.. :)

PMSL. I wouldn't mind that. Mines's shocking.

MultiSkilled Business Centred Maintenance Technician.

LOL

Anyway. At least LegoHead hasn't suffered any ill iffects. Whether it was the current or the frequency (;)) that got him an electric shock is never a nice thing!

Licking a (9v) battery is though ;) kinda like licking something else ;)

VaVa
You guys have got nothing on me..

Lego man..

Dont worry about it, you shall learn and do it again.

Basically in short..

The coil pack is a capacitor, it receives a LT (low tension) input from the car, maybe 5~12v from the ecu. From here, the coil pack builds up the voltage too about 50,000volts, where a contact arcs over when a set voltage is reached and pushed the output (50,000volts) to the spark plug via the HT (high tension lead).

Therefore if you turn the engine off, or disconnect the system. It is best to let the system discharge for about 3~4 mins otherwise you could be risking letting yourself discharge that capacitor.

The coil pack has 2 sides, LT and HT..

You had a shock from the HT side as you were the shortest path to earth, as in normal operation its through the plug across the gap to earth.

A lesson learnt.. :)

So was it the current or the frequency that shocked him? :clown: :rasp:

Clio 172 Cup
technically, the frequency of an ac voltage waveform does make a difference of the effects it has on the body. IIRC 50Hz is THE most dangerous frequency for AC supply (todo with heart / brainwave natural frequencies) and a slight variation of this reduces the chance of death via shock significantly.

b****cks when you get electricuted its possible for your body to alter or shift the frequency any way