ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Down because of a Clio.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've been day dreaming about getting a clio 172/182 for a few months now.

I have been working 50/60 hour weeks occasionaly just for the opportunity of owning one.

Just seen this one up on Pistonheads;

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1990141.htm

Alot of you may know this one seeing as its an admin on here.

Basically this is getting me down because I've fallen in love with it for some strange reason. I've only got about 3/4 of the money for it and can't find any other ways of paying for it. Only being 17 this might be a huge step for me perhaps a step too far.

What do you people think I should do?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not a chance of you insuring that reasonably at 17, ever. Lad at work is 17 and paying over a grand to insure his 1.1 saxo.......

I reckon save for the next four years, until your 21, insurance will come right down, and you can get a 197/200 that's a few years old.

Stan

DB.

BMW 440i
Fair enough. I pay that with 3 years no claims and im 20yrs old for my 182 fully comp so f*ck knows how you got that quote. If i were you, i would get that in writing before you buy a car!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd check that/get it in writing tbh, he was geting quotes like that on Ford KA's etc!

Stagecoach Ticket
Check that quote mate! if its come of compare the meercat or somthing

i cant see it being sub 4k if iam honest unless its a massivly fronted policy with illegal declarations

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
£1625/ Year i've been quoted... The only reason im looking at one in the first place.

As above.

Which company? Because that is cheap, too cheap for a 17 year old on their own insurance policy. I know people that have paid £1600 for 1.2 fiestas.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
£1625 at 17? WTF!
Exactly what I was thinking.
Fair enough. I pay that with 3 years no claims and im 20yrs old for my 182 fully comp so f*ck knows how you got that quote. If i were you, i would get that in writing before you buy a car!
I've noticed that with all the insurance threads on here, I've double checked with my insurance company and they say that they can quote £1625.00. I'll double check and get a letter though.
I'd check that/get it in writing tbh, he was geting quotes like that on Ford KA's etc!
I will do :D
Check that quote mate! if its come of compare the meercat or somthing

i cant see it being sub 4k if iam honest unless its a massivly fronted policy with illegal declarations

Policy with me as the named driver, mum as a second driver and father as a third. Lets just say I think they have messed up.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
One company quoted me £4k for my 172 at 21 with 3 years NCB! Didn't use them of course.

Jap Box
£1625 a year! I pay £1800 a year for my 1.2's insurance, thats price is bound to be either wrong, or you have tried doing it in a parents name.

Ph 1 172
My first quote on my 172 was £2850 I had 3ncb and a clean licence if u can afford it get it... But one thing I overlooked was general maintenance and running cost you need to take it all into account

2004 182FF
I'm 21, have been driving since I was 17 in my own 1.2 Clio ( until it was nicked :mad:) and have had access to my dads 'big engined' cars since I was 19/20 (Fleet insurance & MkV GTI, Range Rover... thinks of that ilk).

All I can say is... my new 182 scared the s**t out of me the first few times I drove it fast... 2 weeks ago. If I'd done that when I was 17/18 I'd have had it off the road into a ditch, rolled it, who knows what. I imagine 172's are slightly softer but similar. They're not cars for inexperienced drivers. Not saying I'm experienced, but still, get a couple of years under your belt in something boring first.

Last edited:
  Jap Box
I'm 21, have been driving since I was 17 in my own 1.2 Clio c**til it was nicked :mad:) and have had access to my dads 'big engined' cars since I was 19/20 (Fleet insurance & MkV GTI, Range Rover... thinks of that ilk).

All I can say is... my 182 scared the s**t out of me the first few times I drove it fast... 2 weeks ago. If I'd done that when I was 17/18 I'd have had it off the road into a ditch, rolled it, who knows what. I imagine 172's are slightly softer but similar. They're not cars for inexperienced drivers. Not saying I'm experienced, but still, get a couple of years under your belt in something boring first.

+1

I did enough damage smashing my first 1.2 into a hedge bank, if I had a 1*2 id prob have ended up dead.

BMW M135I

Im same but with 2 years no claims but still 20. They will probably change it though when they re-do everything and then bump up the price.

I did it before on my first car, got quoted something like £1100, went and bought the car, then when i went to do the insurance it shot up another 900 pound in space of a week

Audi S1
£50 to fill the tank up atm. So depending on how many miles you do take that into account.

Any where below £2000 at 17 is a good quote on any car lol, is that fully comp?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Your working 60 hour weeks and still cant afford £3K :S

Will you have time to drive it if you get it? You'll probably be working 60 hour weeks to insure/tax/fuel/repair it!

Which company? Because that is cheap, too cheap for a 17 year old on their own insurance policy. I know people that have paid £1600 for 1.2 fiestas.
They're getting bummed tbh. I've never understood how people get such bad deals on insurance.

At 17 I drove a Golf GT TDI, it cost me £660 to insure. At 19 I sold it and got a MK2 Leon FR Stage 1, it still only cost me £900 to insure, this was with 3 crashes on my record aswell. I'm now 20 with 1 years ncb and looking at getting a 172 as a 2nd car for track, with everything declared (cage, buckets, coilovers etc) I'm getting quotes of around £1100.

Most of my mates are paying best part of 2k on 1.4 astra's and the likes....I don't understand.:S

Oh and there's nothing dodgy about my policy's and all excess were £500.

2003 clio 172
im 18 and insure a 172 for 1600 with 1 yrs ncb. thats fully comp all legal and mods declared. just go steady if you get it cus as said above it scares the s**t out of you it took me a couple of months before i felt capable of driving it. even now sometimes i have to ease off a bit cus it scares me.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Completely pointless exercise getting a 1*2 at 17.
Get yourself something cheap to have your first crash in, then save up and get a 1*2 in a few years when insurance is cheaper and you've learnt not to drive everywhere like a 17 year old does.

Clio 172 ph2
To the OP.

Car in the ad looks nice but its alot of money for 91k mile private sale. i got mine for 2900, a 53 plate with 80k from a dealer including warranty. So wouldn't go above 3k, then you're only 500 off!

When i was 18 i had an RS Turbo and insurance was crazy but you only live once! Just be careful in it as statistically, young drivers have the worst accidents and with a fast car it just increases the chances!

197 Albi Blue
I was the same as you at 17, wanted a 182 so bad but realised it wasnt going to happen due to the insurance. So i had a couple of 1.2's then got a Saxo VTR when i was 20. And now ive just turned 21 and have just bought a 197.

It is seriously worth the wait....am paying £1400 insurance for the 197 and thats with only 1 years no claims and a crash, much better than paying £5000+ at 17 for a 7 year old car work £3k

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Save ur money for a couple of years, dont waste it on insurance, plus ur only 17, I remember my 1.9 turbo diesel citroen zx felt quick at that age! I rolled it 2 weeks after passing my test, it takes a while to build up your driving skills!! A Clio is a type of car I wouldt like to have a smash in either!! Good things come to those who wait!!!! Gud luck

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
I'm 21, have been driving since I was 17 in my own 1.2 Clio ( until it was nicked :mad:) and have had access to my dads 'big engined' cars since I was 19/20 (Fleet insurance & MkV GTI, Range Rover... thinks of that ilk).

All I can say is... my new 182 scared the s**t out of me the first few times I drove it fast... 2 weeks ago. If I'd done that when I was 17/18 I'd have had it off the road into a ditch, rolled it, who knows what. I imagine 172's are slightly softer but similar. They're not cars for inexperienced drivers. Not saying I'm experienced, but still, get a couple of years under your belt in something boring first.

+1

Scared the absolute crap out of me coming from my little 1.25 fiesta. Driving my car home after buying was not a pleasant experience. Unfamiliar powerful car on unfamiliar roads was nasty for the first few minutes. I don't think I really tested the speed of mine for 3-4 weeks after I bought it (120 miles a week). In those first few weeks whenever I put my foot down I just didn't feel comfortable doing it so I eased myself in to it.

I agree. A 17 behind the wheel of one of these is a bad idea. You need a few 'oh s**t' moments going slow before you know how to deal an 'oh s**t' moment going fast :D

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
Lol, i remember being 17, 18 and wanting a 172. Was in the same position working my ass of to save for one. Then i woke up and relised that, if I owned a 172 at that age, i would be skint. No going out on the lash 2-3 times a week, and generally spending money on alcohol.

Been driving for 4 and a half years now, and ive only just managed to make it to a 1.6 GT. Would I f**k want to run a 2Ltr, im at uni and work 20 hours a week, IMO, there are more important things in lfie than a clio 172, and im hoping uni will pay off so i can buy something a bit nicer than a Clio.

If your not sure if you can afford it or not, then you cant.

Im 21.

Fortunately, i have access, fully insured, to cars with much more power. 07 BMW 650i, 07 BMW 335i and a 12 year old 535i on coilovers and good tyres (which my GT can keep up with no problem on Backroads) and more. I always think my 1.6 is more fun though :)

DB.

BMW 440i
Other than a few hundred extra for the insurance, i find running my 182 basically the same as a lower engined car on the day to day basis...

Im at Uni and find it like running a normal car tbf.

Not a 320d
Other than a few hundred extra for the insurance, i find running my 182 basically the same as a lower engined car on the day to day basis...

Im at Uni and find it like running a normal car tbf.

I thought i might get that sort of comment. For me its not. I can run my GT comfortably on my 20 hour a week wage, I could not run a 197 or 200 and still do what i do now. I have 6 points, i was lucky to get my Gt insured for 800 quid, the next best quote was 1000 which i really dont want to pay.

DB.

BMW 440i
I thought i might get that sort of comment. For me its not. I can run my GT comfortably on my 20 hour a week wage, I could not run a 197 or 200 and still do what i do now. I have 6 points, i was lucky to get my Gt insured for 800 quid, the next best quote was 1000 which i really dont want to pay.

Suppose you made the decision to get a newer car, I went slightly older with an 05 plate RB 182 and used the extra money to pay the extra insurance and live more comfortably. I could of killed myself to get a better car, but this was comfortable for me! :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Your parents want f**king in the ass.

There is no way on this earth i'd let my 17 year old son loose in a 172. I'm 30 and still do stupid things in them because £ for £ they do silly speeds.

Wise up and get a 1400cc.

106GTI / NovaC20LET

There is no way on this earth i'd let my 17 year old son loose in a 172. I'm 30 and still do stupid things in them because £ for £ they do silly speeds.

hes got a very good point at 17 you WILL bin it, well if you are anything like i was when i was 17 you will.

Mini Cooper S sport
If you're having to work 60 hour weeks to scrape together 3k for a 172, forget it.

There's a reason why insurance is silly money for high-powered cars at 17. It's because you'll almost certainly crash it. Get something with a smaller engine, get some experience and wait a couple of years.

Paying more than 1k for insurance on a 172 is insane. Just for reference, I pay about £300 a year for a Megane R26 because I'm old, female, have never crashed, have no points and live in a safe area.

ITB'd MK1
i was 6 weeks off 20 when i got my first hot hatch, and TBH, i drove it like a complete prick. That was a 1.9 205 gti, which by some miracle i still own over 11 years later. When i first got it i thought it was the fastest thing on earth, now I'm more realistic about the modest power, but if i'd been let loose in a 172, i dont think i'd have stayed alive.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)

I was going to mention this. There's not a cat in hells my parents have let me have a 172 at 17 either, and for good reason. If you don't crash you'll just get banned for speeding and tarnish your licence keeping your insurance high for years. Do your stint in a 1.2 for few years, make mistakes, drive in the snow and ice etc.

Lupo GTI
Silly money tbh at that age, I know everyone's saying you'll crash it and stuff but there's a reason they're saying that, it's because we've all seen it happen to someone we know and even some people themselves have done it.

I'm just looking for an RS now and I'm 23. My postcode area is shocking and the insurance has always been a joke, so whilst I was at Uni I couldn't really afford it, buying the car would of been fine; insurance, tax, running, repairs would of killed me and I'd of had no money for anything else.

Now my insurance is down to around £800 now and I feel I can justify paying that for one.

At the moment I'm still happy in my current motor, plodding along, slowly but happily.